• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How would YOU kill the players?

Vaecrius

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Burnaby, BC
members.shaw.ca
All this talk about controlling the zeds has got me thinking: what sort of stuff would you do on a given map, if you could control the spawning and movement of the zeds?

The total proportion of the different zed types has to be the same as it is in the real game on any given wave (so no "every map is 400 patriarchs on wave 1"), but you can spawn them in any order that does not involve spawning more than 3 fleshpounds or scrakes in a row and move every individual zed in any direction taking any move that it could make, or let it default to its normal one-minded following of the players.

Further restriction: You can only see what's around the zeds and are not omniscient as to the players' location.

EDIT: To clarify (though at this point no one's said it), as with the normal spawning rules you can't spawn a zed right in front of a player.

Last edited:
Dammit, now I'm picturing a mod that lets you play on a server as the AI, controlling the Zeds as if it were an RTS. Anyway... I guess I would watch how the team plays during the first few rounds, and coordinate based on that. If they're sloppy and clumsy, then they're dead the instant I can throw a Scrake or Flesh Pound in there. If they're a really solid team though, then it'd be hard to say if it would even be possible to beat them.

As for an in-between team, I would probably try and knock down a couple of the weaker links, and maybe see if a player is holding-up in a bad spot where I can easily corner him. Even clots are threatening when you're pinned in a corner. Hard to really give in-depth details though because every team that I see fail tend to fail for different reasons. So I guess the best answer I can give is that I would take what I've learned from being on these fail teams and work with that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyone ever played Zombie Master? It has the exact same idea, you control zombies like in a RTS game and send them against real players. Something like this would be awesome in Killing Floor.

Id just do the same thing I do in ZM, make tons of traps behind corners and such where players cant see the enemy, and when they walk around the corner they get ambushed by fleshpounds, sirens or crawlers :p

Reactions: synecdoche
Upvote 0
Let's set this in Farm, shall we?

I'd have husks that actually stay out of sight and range, shooting at them from halway across the map.

Then stalkers stalking players, avoiding direct confrontation with them by trying to hit them from the sides and back. This would make them run for cover, and if i can only see what the specs see, i would have a crawler acting as a spy.

Fleshies and Scrakes would move in force when players are weakest, most likely right after two sirens and a couple of mad-strafing gorefasts hit them.

Also gorefasts wouldn't just run head-to-head at players, they would ambush them. Crawlers would go for high-ping or low-skill players, with stalkers targeting the player with the lowest hp.

If players are in a building, the FP/siren/Scrake combo will attack them ASAP.

Scrakes would always target the nearest player, and the weakest one. Gorefasts, when given a choice of multiple players would also attack the weakest one.

Pretty much all specs would move in a more intelligent manner, trying to not get shot.

The Patriarch would sit back and shoot rockets, then run to a new location, then shoot more rockets. When a player gets near he will charge them in a strafing manner then hit them followed by a minigun blast. He would try to avoid enaging Sharpies or a group of players, and would target the weakest player for the most damaging blow to the team.

And clots would try and sneak up on a player long enough to hold them for a gorefast.

Upvote 0
If they are in a cramped camping spot, I send 3 sirens at the same time from the same direction in the middle of a big horde, with a FP coming up behind them that the players can't see at first.

If they are using the M14 with multiple crossbows, I ragequit.

It would be a lot of fun to play as a super specimen who can command the other specimens by calling them to himself and giving them movement and attack orders in much the same way Gordon Freeman uses the bugbait in HL2.

Upvote 0
Dammit, now I'm picturing a mod that lets you play on a server as the AI, controlling the Zeds as if it were an RTS. Anyway... I guess I would watch how the team plays during the first few rounds, and coordinate based on that. If they're sloppy and clumsy, then they're dead the instant I can throw a Scrake or Flesh Pound in there. If they're a really solid team though, then it'd be hard to say if it would even be possible to beat them.

As for an in-between team, I would probably try and knock down a couple of the weaker links, and maybe see if a player is holding-up in a bad spot where I can easily corner him. Even clots are threatening when you're pinned in a corner. Hard to really give in-depth details though because every team that I see fail tend to fail for different reasons. So I guess the best answer I can give is that I would take what I've learned from being on these fail teams and work with that.

Agreed.

And wouldn't it just be awesome to control the zeds like an rts?

I have thought of that idea before, but always thought it that it would be shot down instantly, or generally disliked; but I guess Im not the only one thinking this after all:D

Upvote 0
Digging the responses.

Since no one mentioned bloat, here's my general default solution:

Wave 1, any map: Stick a bunch of clots and bloats just behind a door or around a corner, in the places that no one ever sticks around in for more than five seconds outside the patriarch wave, with orders for the clots to block the entryway the moment the player crosses a certain threshold whereupon the bloat(s) will emerge and puke on them.

Send the remainder out to do the the normal get-shot-in-a-beeline thing.

Get a coffee, browse the Internet, do a bit of cleaning until the players decide to "hunt down" the "stragglers".

Upvote 0
Digging the responses.

Since no one mentioned bloat, here's my general default solution:

Wave 1, any map: Stick a bunch of clots and bloats just behind a door or around a corner, in the places that no one ever sticks around in for more than five seconds outside the patriarch wave, with orders for the clots to block the entryway the moment the player crosses a certain threshold whereupon the bloat(s) will emerge and puke on them.

Send the remainder out to do the the normal get-shot-in-a-beeline thing.

Get a coffee, browse the Internet, do a bit of cleaning until the players decide to "hunt down" the "stragglers".

Just hide a bloat behind every door. And perhaps a few scrakes for good measure, with clots for meatsheilds. Then, when the players go out to hunt, being bored, they will be ambushed!

Upvote 0