• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How does the game decide who becomes the hero?

The RO achivements are quite difficult though ^^.

The idea is that not everyone will become a hero, at least that is what I remember reading. I wonder how the level system and the hero system works together... (maybe lvl 1-30 = normal soldier, 31-50 high enough to be able to be hero ingame (but ofcourse only one in-game at a time))

But yea, I guess I was a bit confused when I wrote that. I have no idea how the hero system works and it would be strange to not have a signle hero in-game until people have played around 1000 houres ^^. I was thinking of the level system, which I would think should be reached max after approx at least 1000 hours ^^.

But it depends on whaty TWI want the hero to be ^^. If they want gamers to be so impressive as they are looked at as heroes for some, then 1000 hours / year would probably be needed :D.

Upvote 0
Hero's take the elite classes. There is a elite assault (assault rifle) and an elite rifleman (semi auto). So my guess is that anyone taking those classes is automatically a hero.

I'm not sure about that. Ramm said there will be only one hero per map and I can't imagine there will be only one semi-auto per map. I bet that the 'elite' classes* will be unlocked much sooner than hero status, and that being a hero gives nothing but a morale / capping bonus, access to the rarest weapons and a distinct physique.

Example 1:
Rookie Soviet rifleman: access to the Mosin 91/30
Elite Soviet rifleman: access to SVT-40
Soviet hero: access to AVT-40.

Example 2:
Rookie German sharpshooter: Kar98k with low-powered scope
Elite German sharpshooter: Kar98k with medium-powered scope
Hero German sharpshooter: Kar98k with high-powered scope

Example 3:
Rookie German assault: MP40
Elite German assault: MP41? Or looted PPSH-41?
Hero German assault: MKb 42

That's how I think it will be. The 'elite rifleman' will be the intermediate rank status between rookie and hero, they're two different things. And perhaps there will be different kinds of heroes as well, i.e. hero sniper, hero assault etc.

If my guess is true the game needs some kind of fair mechanic to decide who becomes the hero. If you're right it means that Ramm lied to us :)troll:) and the whole question becomes a lot easier.

*Hopefully they will rename 'elite' into 'veteran', elite sounds a bit cheesy.

Upvote 0
No thats stupid and unrealistic, theres already people with SMG's, called assault, and historically the assistant squad leader and the squad leader himself could use semi auto rifles. (So there should be an assistant squad leader is what I'm saying)

If someone HAPPENS to be a hero, whatever class they pick they can use special weapons for, say if they are a regular riflemen, they could use a semi auto rifle, or if they pick assault then an MKB42, ETC!

Upvote 0
theres already people with SMG's, called assault

I never said there wasn't.

and historically the assistant squad leader and the squad leader himself could use semi auto rifles.

I never said they can't.

If someone HAPPENS to be a hero, whatever class they pick they can use special weapons for, say if they are a regular riflemen, they could use a semi auto rifle, or if they pick assault then an MKB42, ETC!

That's possible.

Upvote 0
At some point there will be several people on each side at max rank, what about then?

First come first serve, he who is the quickest to click the Hero class becomes the hero.

You know, same as it has allways been in Red Orchestra, which you should be so used to by now, because you have played it so much, right?

Upvote 0
all I can say is, I hope that you don't have to play 1,000 hours. Really? that's 1,000 hours for HoS And every mod.
I admit I really want to play this game and shall spend many hours playing it, but I refuse to give my soul to it. :p

I remember when I'd play Ostfront, for fun. no ranks to get, nothing. Just start the game up, join a server, and play.

I don't need another BF2 ranking system or COD game.

Whatever happens, the game will be sweet.:D

Upvote 0
BF2's stat system (not complementing the gameplay mechanics) did a really good job at making achievements difficult to attain. But that system does have dozens of 1000+ hour unlocks/awards... and I generally consider it a tad extreme.

I agree, BF2s rank system is very good and pre-dated CoD4s (I think it was the first proper ranking system in a multiplayer shooter)...CoDuo had one, but that was very light in comparison.

I've played over 300 hours of vanilla BF2 (note the game doesn't count browsing menus or map loading as game time) and I'm still a relatively low rank (First Sergeant)...it says my next rank will unlock in approx 90 hours of play!

That's one helluva brutal ranking system, and they "corrected" this in 2142 by making ranking up much more frequent, and in my opionion they've perfected this system with BC2.

Personally I'd prefer a longer ranking system for RO, not as extreme as BF2s but somewhere in between. Most people on this forum are hardcore dedicated players who likely don't play a lot of other games, but most gamers don't have that kind of time, I'll be lucky if I can manage an hour a day at the moment (3 kids, full time job etc.). I've played about 600 hours of RO according to xfire/steam and that is in 4 years...I think that's my most played multiplayer game except perhaps CoD1 which stole my life for 2 solid years (I didn't play anything else at all).

I'm sure TWI will to a great job of the ranking system and it'll make a nice addition to RO.

Upvote 0