• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How does the game decide who becomes the hero?

I'm just hoping we can disable hero's in unranked servers. Or make everyone a hero. Don't want it to be unbalanced in competition.

Ranked? Unranked? them's dirty Cod words they is!! :mad:

I doub't Hos will devide things like that, Ost never did, there where just servers, and thouse servers could run different settings if they wanted to (and there will be some filtering/ranking system in place, so you can find servers running settings you like, and server admins can see what setups are popular).

Anyway, i suspect the Hero thing can be disabled in clan/competitive matches, but it's not really important, because he's just a class, and a one person class at that, he's a game mechanic really.

Kinda like the "orb" in UT3 for thouse of you who gave that game a try, it's a tie-breaker thing, if your team can bring the orb to the objective, they can take the objective fast, but the enemy can also kill the guy carrying the orb, preventing an easy capture.

The hero will be like that orb, just he's a person and not an object, if your team can defend the Hero and get him to the capzone, you'll take the objective easier, but the enemy can also kill your Hero, which will hurt your teams morale and make it harder to take the objective..

So it's fair game, both teams have a hero, and both team can kill the other team's hero, so he's a walking game mechanic that adds some depth to the gameplay, and i could see this feature adding depth to both competitive and pub play, it's a little different from the standard in competitive play, yes, but it might actually prove interesting for Clans to use that asset in tactical ways in competitive play.

Upvote 0

I doub't Hos will devide things like that, Ost never did, there where just servers, and thouse servers could run different settings if they wanted to (and there will be some filtering/ranking system in place, so you can find servers running settings you like, and server admins can see what setups are popular).

Anyway, i suspect the Hero thing can be disabled in clan/competitive matches, but it's not really important, because he's just a class, and a one person class at that, he's a game mechanic really.

Kinda like the "orb" in UT3 for thouse of you who gave that game a try, it's a tie-breaker thing, if your team can bring the orb to the objective, they can take the objective fast, but the enemy can also kill the guy carrying the orb, preventing an easy capture.

The hero will be like that orb, just he's a person and not an object, if your team can defend the Hero and get him to the capzone, you'll take the objective easier, but the enemy can also kill your Hero, which will hurt your teams morale and make it harder to take the objective..

So it's fair game, both teams have a hero, and both team can kill the other team's hero, so he's a walking game mechanic that adds some depth to the gameplay, and i could see this feature adding depth to both competitive and pub play, it's a little different from the standard in competitive play, yes, but it might actually prove interesting for Clans to use that asset in tactical ways in competitive play.

So in real life soldiers protected the most experienced soldier to get him to an objective so they'd be more inspired when they take it?

Upvote 0

There is unranked and ranked servers dude. Ranked(Persistence) servers are servers where you gain veterancy (grow your beard, fight towards hero status.) unranked are modified servers. (competitive matches)

I don't know who told you there is only one hero...that's not how it's been described by TWI. Hero is kind of like max rank in any game COD/BF/Etc.

30 minutes? try 30 hours. this isn't cod. bye

30 hours is not a lot of time. Let's hope for something more like 200-300 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grobut and LemoN
Upvote 0
There is unranked and ranked servers dude. Ranked(Persistence) servers are servers where you gain veterancy (grow your beard, fight towards hero status.) unranked are modified servers. (competitive matches)

I don't know who told you there is only one hero...that's not how it's been described by TWI. Hero is kind of like max rank in any game COD/BF/Etc.

30 hours is not a lot of time. Let's hope for something more like 200-300 hours.

How about 3000 hours, this game will be played for years.

Reactions: RobfromEssex
Upvote 0

First of all, stop comparing this game with garbage like CoD.

Secondly, TWI has stated that the "hero" will directly affect capping speed and that there is only going to be one. That's pretty obvious with special bonuses like faster capping or disadvantages of dropping morale if he gets shot.

Upvote 0

Show me evidence of this, because that's not how the Server system was described by Ramm in the Crosshairs webcasts.

Wrong, the "Hero" is a class (one that is only avalible to veteran players), and there will only be one per team, read the Facts thread, listen to/read the interviews, there can be only one!

Reactions: Oldih
Upvote 0
First of all CoD is garbage, relax there crusader.

The game has an online stats tracking and persistence. All of the servers that contribute to this system have a limited range of modification, otherwise I could alter the server to make me a veteran in 1 kill.

I don't have the recordings from my talks with John, but there is really no other way to do this. You can't have a persistent system without a structure to the servers.

You could technically have a competitive match on a ranked server, but what's the point.

From what I've read the hero class is a difficult to achieve rank. But you don't have to jump down my throat if I mixed up a simple detail. You show me where it says there is only one hero at a time, because I don't see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneDuck
Upvote 0
It would be nice if a dev could chime in on how the hero selection works.

I would like to see Heroes in competition, the problem is if one team does not have any hero...

I hope at least approx 1000 hours to be hero.

1000 hours? That's like playing the game regularly for 3 - 4 years or obsessively for a year. A bit excessive, don't you think?

Upvote 0
It would be nice if a dev could chime in on how the hero selection works.

1000 hours? That's like playing the game regularly for 3 - 4 years or obsessively for a year. A bit excessive, don't you think?

You're not going to be playing the game obsessively when it comes out?

also, I can get a couple hundred hours playing the game one day a week, for a few hours a day. If I played the game fri/sat/sun (excluding that damned real world :p ) I'd be able to get almost 1000 hours up easy :cool:

but you have made a good point, I've played loads of killing floor too and I still don't have any perks to level 5 :troll:

Upvote 0