• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

how do i get a good weapon?

Seems like everytime i log on or the game starts, all the sniper rifles and MGs are taken. Sometimes I can get an assault rifle, but usually just wind up getting a rifle. How do I get the sniper rifle! Thanks in advance.:)

You choose either the Strelok or the Shutze class. The standard K98k or M/N91/30 or M38 or M44 are all more accurate than the sniper rifles. Trust me, I would know.

And for MGs and stuff, just hang around for a bit on the server, and eventually (usually only a few minutes) on of the SMGers or MGers will leave, and you can take their class.

Upvote 0
This is like the opposite of the 'my rig is better then yours' contest :D

Yea man ...
Internet P4 Single-core 2.4 GHz
UltraATA-100 250GB 7200rpm HD
1 gig of some ram I've never heard of
BFG NVidia 7800 GS (AGP 4X) OC to 445/1245

Average frames per second (50-players):
Danzig: 22-30
Lyeskrovy: 12-20
Odessa: 15-20
Konigsplatz: 17-22
PariserPlatz: 13-18
Leningrad: 9-14

Most maps are quite playable, others have their moments of "I'm gonna rip my computer a new one." In other maps, the quality of the map and team more than make up for the pain of playing an audio/visual slideshow (carved with chisels, in stone tablets).

-tsoor

Upvote 0
I'd recommend, at the very least, going prone before entering said area. Waiting five to ten seconds is even better, otherwise it becomes a game of musical weapons.

find someone in game with the weapon you like then follow them around until they die in a hail of bullets right in front of you. Then stand in that exact spot and try to pick it up. That is what everyone else does...... dont get shot in the obvious killzone you just entered either.

Upvote 0
I was in the same boat when I first started playing RO (long ago)... seemed like the only weapon I could ever get was the rifleman. I had to live (and die) with that. But then a funny thing happened... I started to learn to like it.

Now, the standard bolt-action rifle is my weapon of choice, even though I have a speedy computer and can pick any class I want.

The iron sight rifle is the best weapon in the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I find the best way to get a preferred weapon and learn how to use it effectively is to support the player who has the weapon. Follow them, provide cover and ammo. Eventually the sniper will get shot and you can then take his weapon and carry on. You might even pick up on some good spots as well.

Some very good advice there, notice that he says 'support' and then explains some of the finer points of supporting. A sniper will not like you when you give his position away by constantly attempting to dance on his head. A machine gunner will not like you when you prance around in his killzone.

Don't be pushy and be patient. It's one of the qualities which make RO great in my opinion. No 'jump into the action immediately all the time' arcade stuff.

Upvote 0
Ask...sometimes if you ask the sniper or MG to trade with you they will. They will then take your rifle and rush the enemy. When they respawn they have the weapon back. I've done this a couple of times with sniper rifle and German MG. No big deal really!

My only gripe with this is that it promotes cloning the weapons so you end up facing off against a million MGs or snipers.

Upvote 0
I find the best way to get a preferred weapon and learn how to use it effectively is to support the player who has the weapon. Follow them, provide cover and ammo. Eventually the sniper will get shot and you can then take his weapon and carry on. You might even pick up on some good spots as well.

Meanwhile your team cant cap or push cause the sniper and mg have 1 player extra each following them . . .

Upvote 0
@BillyT

you have to give this game (a bit of ) time. The bolt action rifle is at least as important a weapon as any other in this game. Not sure how much of it you have played, but over time you will learn to use each weapon in its intended role.

You can certainly shadow one of the "glamorous" roles like MG or Sniper ( I used to...), and try to pick up their dropped weapon. But try to play each role instead as it is intended.

Each map will favor different weapons a little, an urban map will favor SMGs for example, but u should be able to find a use for each weapon in each map.

Upvote 0
One thing to remember is when the sniper or MG has been shot and you rush to pick up their weapon, the enemy have already spotted that position and made a kill. If you immediately stay in the same spot to pick up your fallen comrades fire support mission, most likely you'll be shot within seconds.

As rifleman supporting the MG, don't get too close since one 'nade will take you both out. Think about providing him flank cover to prevent enemy infiltrating his left or right.

Not much you can do for sniper if he is playing the position well...which is well behind the lines providing fire support. By definition, the targets you should see would be few and far between as rifleman.

Upvote 0
Remember the objective is always get bodies into the capzone, either defending or on offense. The sniper and MG can provide cover from outside but the rest should be trying to hold or take capzones. If the sniper or MG have several guys hanging around trying to get the guns, those guys hanging about are basically helping the enemy win the map.
It's not about the guns, it's about the capzones.

Upvote 0
You choose either the Strelok or the Shutze class. The standard K98k or M/N91/30 or M38 or M44 are all more accurate than the sniper rifles. Trust me, I would know.

And for MGs and stuff, just hang around for a bit on the server, and eventually (usually only a few minutes) on of the SMGers or MGers will leave, and you can take their class.

No they're not. The sniper rifles are the same guns as the iron-sighted bolts and are consequently just as accurate. They're ranged differently that's all (or seem to be at least).

And the auto-snipers are just as accurate as their non-scoped counterparts (which are obviously less accurate than the bolts).

Upvote 0
At the very least, whether you get any kills or not, being in the capzone is the priority. Nearly every RO map is winnable by capturing certain zones, and without people in those areas, they will not get capped. All too often you watch people hiding outside the capzoznes trying to pick people off one at a time. Thats a nice effort, but odds are that person you spent 30 seconds or more killing will be replaced quickly by another teammate. There's nothing more irritating than watching a temamate empty 1 or 2 magazines from an MP40 at someone 1-200 meters away, finally getting a lucky shot for the kill if he even hit anyone at all.

To start off with, I'd say go the polite route and stick with the rifleman. This will get you used to picking your battles, using cover, and using the aiming and control systems in the game. You will notice that the average person, someone whose played the game for at least a few months, is grossly outmatched by the SMG. The reason I call this the polite route is this- taking a specialized role and not being good with it right away earns you a lot of hate. Starting off with an SMG or STG you will quickly find that it is much less controllable than the rifle, and until you are experienced with the games mechanics, it is best left in the hands of someone who does know how to move about the maps and fire them controllably.

It kinda sucks in the mean time, but learning the maps as a rifleman is just an easier way to get into the game. It saves you a lot of grief from impatient players, and helps you understand the importance of cover, how to aim, and how to move to the capzones and win. It seems like there are some here who don't like to read that there are new players in this forum, so feel free to PM me if you would like, I can point you to some forums that are more accomodating to beginners.

Upvote 0