• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey Tripwire, how about another free weekend?

r5cya

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
San Bruno, California
things are getting really slow in the game. it's pretty easy to see here as well. there's just about no new threads in the support forum and the ideas and suggestion forum is bursting with threads on how to try and draw in more people.
how about we have another free weekend? i know you probably want to wait for the new patch or a Steam deal or something, but c'mon. it's getting pretty quiet in the game lately. there was like less than three hundred online when i tried last night. (it's right at 400 now :() i've been watching over the last few weeks and it's discouraging seeing the player count get lower and lower.
getting Steam to give everyone back the free passes we had snatched from us, would be nice as well. ;)

Last edited:
Maybe they'll do it again with the release of STEAMWORKSHOP to showcase how the modding community is still alive and growing, with the news from RS and such, I'm sure that'll this game will get another dose of attention soon :)

Yep at the same time of workshop would be a great idea, like a Tripwire sale or something, RO2 and KF on sale and free weekend on both. Would bring more people in showing directly there is mod support.

Upvote 0
Couldn't hurt. Probably preferable to wait until some kind of new content, but, as you say...

I agree, but not with "SOME kind of new content". This SOME is not right. Imho, to regain players and to gain initiative again, best (imho of course) would be to do the following:

1. Judge the custom map winners and if possible/needed: polish them
2. All maps that entered the mapping contest need to be released in the update
3. Add 3 more TWI made maps
4. Bring in halftracks (before the new tanks) as this would greatly improve the mapping design choices for the 2nd phase of the mapping contest
5. Add online campaign
6. Add MG 42 and other arms that are potentially under construction right now

Release this patch with a free weekend and/or a steam sale.

This would regain loads of players and give enough content for newcomers to stay interested for some time. For the hardcore fans this would be enough to play with for the next 3 months anyway.

Then, when phase 2 of the mapping contest closes, polish those maps again and add them in the beginning of December, which should exactly be the time where people start to get bored with the above mentioned patch. It would also give (to newcomers especially) the impression that a constant support and content release is always under construction.

That's what I think is needed to save this game and to regain initiative for the devs. Don't forget, beginning of next year Rising Storm will probably be released, which would keep the cycle of new content, new sale, new players alive...

Upvote 0
things are getting really slow in the game. it's pretty easy to see here as well. there's just about no new threads in the support forum and the ideas and suggestion forum is bursting with threads on how to try and draw in more people.

The new users who do venture into these fora leave utterly disgusted by all the negativity and bickering. The Ideas and Suggestions forum has become a three ring circus. Every suggestion thread is hijacked by the same old few wanting "their way". They're noticed by the new users and found to be revolting. We hear about it darn near every day in the Servers. They purposely AVOID these fora mainly for a few reasons. Another reason is.... they get the impression "they don't belong" here by their being snubbed, insulted and talked down to by some members of the site who should know better. That's sad. Certainly not the reputation a support site needs or wants.

how about we have another free weekend? i know you probably want to wait for the new patch or a Steam deal or something, but c'mon. it's getting pretty quiet in the game lately.

That's a great idea..... an "Anniversary Free Weekend".. sounds good and has a nice ring to it.​

there was like less than three hundred online when i tried last night. (it's right at 400 now :() i've been watching over the last few weeks and it's discouraging seeing the player count get lower and lower.

To be expected with the "disappearing weapons and reactionary practices". New users join expecting to use the weapons advertised..... and they get told the mapper that did this custom map removed those weapons. (Custom mappers should provide every weapon and feature the game calls for and allow the users to CHOOSE.) They are then advised to play anyway because its a great game and that once they get into it they'll never look back. However, the usual answer is they're not getting what they rightfully expected and leave. Its time for the experienced users to realize that RO2 is mainstream and never going to revert back to the club-like days RO was. Those days were fun but they're gone forever with RO2. Get used to it - stop trying to force RO2 to be RO..​

getting Steam to give everyone back the free passes we had snatched from us, would be nice as well. ;)

Another good idea.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I massively enjoyed the last free weekend and it did signifigantly bolster the community numbers, which are again sadly dropping a bit.

And I hope we can have another FW really soon but more importantly that it can incorporate some of the new content that TWI and the community are working on.
New community maps as stock and a new TWI map plus the much awaited Campaign sound like a recipe for sustained interest.
Hopefully we could see not only lots of new fans playing but we could keep them playing..:D

Upvote 0
I think what TWI did on the last free weekend was really good. Have one big, game changing massive bug fixin patch along with a free weekend to show all the discouraged how they've grown.

Personally, if there is going to be another FW, it should be AFTER steamworkshop launches, after some of the mapping contest winners get their maps in game, and after they release some new content.

Or inbetween any of that.

Remember, free weekends bring in new people that may buy the game if they crave it more. It also brings back some old people who de-installed the game, to check out the new stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I massively enjoyed the last free weekend and it did signifigantly bolster the community numbers, which are again sadly dropping a bit.

And I hope we can have another FW really soon but more importantly that it can incorporate some of the new content that TWI and the community are working on.
New community maps as stock and a new TWI map plus the much awaited Campaign sound like a recipe for sustained interest.
Hopefully we could see not only lots of new fans playing but we could keep them playing..:D
i'd love to wait for TWI to be able to add more content and the campaign mode, but i don't even see it being tested in the beta anymore. i got the chance twice. twice only, to try it out. now i'm either missing all of yoshis call to arms, or they aren't testing it at all. i wouldn't have re-downloaded the beta, if i knew how little we were going to be able to test it. :confused: throw us a bone and leave a server running. please?
another what we are up to know would be great. last i heard it would be days till we got news, that was three weeks ago. :(
i'm usually the last guy that gets worried when player count drops. but i tell you what, i am now, for the first time.
New and better maps first may be.
The stock maps now are boring and frustrating at the same time.
I decided to give the game another try yesterday. Spawned, ran a bit, artied, quit right away.
frustrating? how? and thanks for being a trooper and devoting your time to keeping it alive. ;)
I think what TWI did on the last free weekend was really good. Have one big, game changing massive bug fixin patch along with a free weekend to show all the discouraged how they've grown.

Personally, if there is going to be another FW, it should be AFTER steamworkshop launches, after some of the mapping contest winners get their maps in game, and after they release some new content.

Or inbetween any of that.

Remember, free weekends bring in new people that may buy the game if they crave it more. It also brings back some old people who de-installed the game, to check out the new stuff.
we need the free weekends to get new players now. they won't be bored with the maps we have. esp. since we have so many mod maps to choose from now. the guys who have the game and see the free weekend might just pop back in knowing there'll be lots of players to play with (and lets be honest. some love fresh meat!)
the ones who deleted it from the hard drive? screw'em. nothing's gonna make those guys happy. if you hate a game enpough to delete it, you rarely go back anyway. you gonna re-dl 14.5, gig just to see if you might like the game, you hated enough to delete?

Upvote 0
we need the free weekends to get new players now. they won't be bored with the maps we have. esp. since we have so many mod maps to choose from now. the guys who have the game and see the free weekend might just pop back in knowing there'll be lots of players to play with (and lets be honest. some love fresh meat!)
the ones who deleted it from the hard drive? screw'em. nothing's gonna make those guys happy. if you hate a game enpough to delete it, you rarely go back anyway. you gonna re-dl 14.5, gig just to see if you might like the game, you hated enough to delete?

Putting out FWs so quickly and rushingly with out a semi-major content release is a bad idea. It really shows desperateness and how the game is dying. I think I remember Dino D-Day having multiple FWs all turning out for barely any good.

Maybe once they add in the MP Campaign, and Workshop would be a good time, to show how long lasting and falvorful the game can still be with community made maps, mutators, and 3 hour long stuggles with your team through a campaign :)

Upvote 0
Putting out FWs so quickly and rushingly with out a semi-major content release is a bad idea. It really shows desperateness and how the game is dying. I think I remember Dino D-Day having multiple FWs all turning out for barely any good.
it's ok with me if it seems desperate. the only ones who will see it that way are us. and we already know we are in desperate times. the guys who don't even know about the game and spot that they can play for free, through steam, will have no idea at all. how long has it been since we had a free weekend, anyway? a couple months?
dino d-day? how come i'm not surprised that failed? ;)
i'm also having a hard time seeing how we're going to come out with the campaign mode, when it doesn't even seem to me it's being tested. two tests that i know of, then nothing. what's up with that? :confused:
i just hope someone from TWI sees the thread and gives it some serious thought. there's less than 800 players as i type this. that's down another 200, from last week at this time. i'm watching the numbers shrink daily. :(

Upvote 0
i'm also having a hard time seeing how we're going to come out with the campaign mode, when it doesn't even seem to me it's being tested. two tests that i know of, then nothing. what's up with that? :confused:
:(

Well I'm guessing they took a lot of feed back from those two tests and plan to make large alterations to the mode? *shrug* It'd be really cool to know how TWI is splitting their man power. Cause I'm starting to believe they are hiding something from us :p Or just working less ._.

Upvote 0
fantastic ideas.
i wholeheartedly support them all.

right when i was able to interest some people in RO2, my guest passes were taken away (or i didnt see them gone until i was going to give them out)
if we get more, they shouldnt expire.
hopefully we (or me) can get more than just two next time, i would really try to get our KF community into this game (roughly 1.6k members on our site, mostly from KF)
i think the major factor though is that people play KF cause it runs on their crappy computers, and this game most definitely will not (that was the most common excuse i got when asking people if they would want to do guest pass of RO2) so i dont know how many people i'm going to get from KF.

Upvote 0
I am in genuine concern that most of the TWI staff is actually working on Killing Floor 2 since it's predecessor was such a sucess. It's been nearly 4 months since the GOTY Patch with 1 new map, bug fixes and 2 new game modes was released.

If you have a staff of 30 people working on a game you would expect atleast some more informations whats going on. The WWAUT posts are rather bland without some facts. We heard I guess it was before release about new tanks and weapons yet they have never really talked clearly about that again (might be wrong). And when they don't release the multiplayer campaign in the next 8 days it took them over a year to implement a feature that should have been in the release. As far as I remember Yoshiro said something that it just nearly missed to be in the beta prior to the GOTY update. Though the multiplayer campaign won't get that much player back into the game I guess. Nearly a month ago in the WWAUT post Yoshiro talked about "Increased stamina capacity in classic entering the beta" I might be totally wrong but I don't think it would take that long, maybe just a couple of minutes to actually refine that. Is it even in the beta yet? I can't play the game at the moment with my ****ty laptop.

But for me the most disappointing thing now is actually the GOTY video. John Gibson was talking about how they lost their modteam roots and most of the development was behind back doors until it was just the right time to tell the press. He said they lost the cooperate development with the fans with regular released so they could make adjustment based on the fanfeedback. Well it has been some months now and we haven't heard hardly anything beside they are making a new map that is probably gonna enter the beta somewhen in the future. I am awaiting the next WWAUT post and hope for some REAL informations or fact.

What I am trying to say: I think it is to early for a free weekend since there is beside some new custom maps (and I really love the custom maps we have) basically no new content and no real new informations since the GOTY patch. So people who played the game in the last FW and watched the video might expect something new than the vet's saying the same like they did the last FW "we gonna get new weapons, tanks and halftracks but there are still no informations". I am still enjoying the game and I am hoping for the big bang with some really sweet new things. But I am expecting to see the new map somewhere in the future to be in the beta, with another couple of weeks or months until it is in the full game. And that we gonna see a Killing Floor 2 announcement before we get halftracks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I agree with almost all of that, but I doubt they are giving up on RO2. We are getting less often updates so it must mean they are working on something else, will it be KF2? Or maybe an original IP? Who knows. With all their staff it must be difficult to work on a new game (if they are) and continue to support RO2 and even KF at times with new content and events. For other companies it might be easier but for TWI it must be a bit more difficult and have more backlash as they aren't really telling us much on how the man power is being divided.

I'm all fine with waiting, I'd just like to know? So I can be at peace with it you know?

Upvote 0
well, they might be spreading themselves too thin as it is, satisfying the KF and RO2 communities at the same time.
but, KF has way more muts'n'mods, partly because ue25 is much easier to work with, dont have to do all the detail work.
i am just now starting on ue3 texturing (and trying to figure out what coding is new), so after i get some inertia on that i'll release some weapons i was asking for (and finally decided to make them myself)

i just need to figure out whether to make them with upgrades and to go to what classes (maybe make new class)

Upvote 0