• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HC FPS gamer here, a few suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Koschi, hope to see you in the server as well. What's helped me get any good at a game is by asking and learning for others. I can eat my humble pie very easy and later I dish some out. lol :) :IS2:

so now that wahoo is a star on this forum... could i have your children?! =)

and btw i hugely respect you for reading all the answers and staff... i know a lot "cod" gamers witch wont even listen to 1 point i would like to make about RO.

Realy looking forward to see you in RO2 !

koschi

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lemon thanks for mentioning my thread in CrossHairs. :D No mention of the thread starter? lol How did you get into the program?

As for the "Community Manager" I think the title should be called Community Promoter. It's true they fail in communication at the most grass roots level. What does a Community Manager do? I think it's a joke. What they should be doing is getting involved on clan websites, Xfire, and Steam. They need to be someone who can deal properly with conflict, they need to say the right thing with the most difficult people.

Back to communication, Xfire is so under rated by companies. It's full of information about players. I've only been denied a few times out of hundreds on my Xfire list. Then you connect with their friends and etc. You can send a link to a game trailer and they thank you for it. It takes no time at all to register on websites, post some game trailer links, type a message to the clan about your company and your game. How hard is that, but do you see companies do that? It's like Clinton's campaign bus. Meet the people. lol It worked.

I PMed TWI and suggested this. They told me, we rely on the community to do it for us. LOL What? Ok, I've emailed 6 clans and told them about a game they had no idea about. How many clans could a Community Promoter do eight hours a day forty hours a week? Want preorders? Just a thought. Is the time worth the exposure, sales and perhaps loyalty because you took the time. Let the Community manager do something that helps promote the game as well as pass on info. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Miro! and illinifan
Upvote 0
The problem with relying on the community to spread the word about the game is that much of the active vocal RO community wants to see RO2 not be a huge success, and to remain an underground game. I've told tons of people to watch for RO2, and have had it plastered on many websites. It's too bad so many people in the community are hostile to change and/or growth.

Upvote 0
The problem with relying on the community to spread the word about the game is that much of the active vocal RO community wants to see RO2 not be a huge success, and to remain an underground game. I've told tons of people to watch for RO2, and have had it plastered on many websites. It's too bad so many people in the community are hostile to change and/or growth.
BS.

They just don't want it turned into a CoD clone. I'm sure 95% of the people on here would love for it to replace CoD and BF as the "go-to online FPS", even if that means putting up with the 13 year olds.

After all, you can always lock a server for only high ranks.

Reactions: Miro! and Forssen
Upvote 0
BS.
They just don't want it turned into a CoD clone. I'm sure 95% of the people on here would love for it to replace CoD and BF as the "go-to online FPS", even if that means putting up with the 13 year olds.

After all, you can always lock a server for only high ranks.

I absolutely agree. And what Knighted wrote was utter BS, no surprise there...He just loves to piss on this community.

I

Upvote 0

Your vision of "change" and "growth" is actually just the opposite: a regression of realism, a rolling back of the progress RO and TW has made. We want realism, which was previously underground, to become a mainstream standard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oldih thanks for your respectful reply. I've not had a chance to play RO yet, but I'm concinved I will enjoy it regardless. I'm just having a friendly debate over what I think would help make the game appealing to a wider audience. An audence that could very well bring hords of customers. Seems people have to stand on one side of the line or the other. lol

After getting a chance to see the game, I think RO guys have created something special. I think Tripwire just needs a gateway drug to get the COD community involved. You can follow this thread and see I have accepted a "No" to what I first suggested. Now, after considering some of the replies here, I have to agree with many of them, but I'm a FPS veteran player with a COD background. You got to understand that COD is all I know as many people out there.

You could call this my last ditch effort to suggest one thing that would bring over casual players/clans into this game and it would be create a FFA game. That's my last response/suggestion and I'll agree with you guys on the rest. This thread is mostly about marketing from someone outside looking in. Why not have one simple game like FFA. Trust me people will then get involved in more complicatd game play as they get the feel for it. Signing off. See you in the game. :)

Zetsumei, your right, it is fun at times to have a sniper game and blow off steam. I'm telling you most people will get frustrated when they don't do well. They will quit, call it this generation, I don't know. I for one keep playing, at least in FPS. lol
Casual gaming is whats destroying "hardcore gaming", look at the xbox 360 exclusive lineups, none. Just making an example right there. But why would you consider yourself and a "veteran", when there are other people out there that have been playing the FPS genre since DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D. Sorry buddy but your suggestions is completely unreal.

Upvote 0
But you should still try out RO, the game is mean't to be completely different and focus on realism and hardcore teamwork, yeah you won't see it in most servers but when you really try with loyal comrades, the game definetly works out. But yeah, again, your suggestions for the new game won't work out and will probably not even come into mind for the devolpers.

Upvote 0
I think what Knighted and I both want is a balance. Come on guys, you cannot say that everything is bad about COD. They have created some really good game types, and they set a standard for others. The ability to wager your money/points was genius. I mean COD is the biggest FPS game out there. There are many good things about the game, it's not evolved into anything, but the same old. RO2 will bring better realistic features. You can't do much to re invent FPS games. Saying RO2 will be COD is just not a good argument. If TWI can bring some of those great games to their game it will just cut the throat of COD. Why not, we are talking about game types that have been established in the community. It would be dumb not to do it. You will steal a huge part of the market. Understand the more money TWI makes the more games and new features we will see in the future. My bet is TWI is wagering a huge amount of their success on this game. I'm only talking about adding some game types, making the game a little less slower than RO and have that snappiness you have with COD. I'm a twitch player, and I would hate not to be able to use my skill. I love what TWI has done so far and they have not compromised. I understand and respect you guys for wanting it like RO1. No one likes their favorite game changed. No one likes a new learning curve after spending years perfecting it. Do you want empty servers in two years? Then TWI has to do what they got to do. You can't blame them for it.

US92 are you kidding me? Casual clans are destroying the PC community? Come on now, I would say they are the middle class of gamers. They are the bulk of customers. I'm a vet at what I do, I'm better than the Average Joe. I've been playing PC serious since Unreal Tournament. I was first trying to establish that I've been rooted in the PC community for years and I have a network of people that agree with me. I'm not touting, I'm better, or what I say is special, I'm only trying to convey that I speak for many casual clans. That's all. Not many get in the fight to make a game successful, or help promote the game, but many sit on the side lines watching. They buy it if it has what they want, if not they don't. They say nothing, but that's ok. I like to fight for things I believe in. My goal is to create buzz, makes some suggestions, and maybe get more involved if I can. :)

Casual gaming is whats destroying "hardcore gaming", look at the xbox 360 exclusive lineups, none. Just making an example right there. But why would you consider yourself and a "veteran", when there are other people out there that have been playing the FPS genre since DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D. Sorry buddy but your suggestions is completely unreal.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobsynergy
Upvote 0
W4hoo they dont want to copy paste COD game type or features such as the money waging or idk how its called,but they do want to bring in part of COD gamers in by playing the game RO style,its a war game dude I dont think they will trow in all sorts of COD stuff that would make the game feel like any other typical FPS game out there.

All I've heard for now its they will be adding TDM style,some strating for the COD competitive gamers,you know stuff like this dont brake the core of the game that was intended,I would really hate for RO2 to have the money waging where you kill people earn points and buy weapons??? Oh wow I for sure then will be going back to old ROOST and lots of other will too.

If you heard JG in interview with MArkee Dragon,he said we wanted to make a game that plays the way we wanted to play,its their game dude,they will add some stuff to it to attract COD and BF gamers,but trust me its going to be a thin line of adding stuff to it,we all like the RL aspect of RO.Maeby TWI will make a different type of game with low recoil,no aim sway, added crosshairs but it wont be RO style game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Might as well stop lurking at some point and post.

Before I go on about your recent post, Wahoo, I'd like to say that I nearly burst into tears laughing at your initial suggestions, after reading the (entire) thread, I do respect that you have, at least in many aspects, had a change of heart and I thank the people who have taken you in and are currently helping you get into the game. I also am happy that you are spreading the word and are as excited about the game as many of us who have been playing the original for years now.

And now for some debate...

I think what Knighted and I both want is a balance. Come on guys, you cannot say that everything is bad about COD. They have created some really good game types, and they set a standard for others.

The Call of Duty franchise began as an alternative to games like Medal of Honor, and it wiped out the competition. But now (as in after UO/CoD2), nothing new comes out of Call of Duty, I mean, sure, you can say that each game has a different setting, with different looking characters and firearms and some new/varying features. But as someone lucky enough to have been thrown off the Call of Duty bandwagon after CoD2, I have seen the same game come out yearly since Call of Duty 4.

Most of the game types that I've seen and played have been either game types I've played before in other games, or they are something that has been done before, but is their own little variation.

I mean it's the biggest FPS game out there. There are many good things about the game, it's not evolved into anything, but the same old.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, as I'm not sure if you're thinking of the CoD series having a lack of innovation or not...

Saying RO2 will be COD is just not a good argument. If TWI can bring some of those great games to their game it will just cut the throat of COD.

As most of the people arguing against you on this point, I'd rather TWI provide an alternative to the run of the mill shooters that have taken over and allow people to play a game radically different to the FPS norm, not try and emulate what has made other franchises successful.

Why not, we are talking about game types that have been established in the community. It would be dumb not to do it. You will steal a huge part of the market.

If you're talking about the Deathmatch crap again, it simply seems awkward and out of place every time I run a scenario of how it would play out in my head. It just would be a waste of effort that could be used elsewhere. Plus, I don't understand how you refuse to think a Team Deathmatch mode (which is already being implemented) would somehow not be enough for people to get a grasp on what you need to do.

If you wanted to make a Deathmatch mode in RO, you'd be taking the classes out of the picture, you'd have to change everything about the weapons damage/effectiveness and rearrange it in a way that keeps people from gaining a huge advantage over (mirroring the FPS norm) someone with what would normally be a much more effective firearm. I won't go further at the moment, but if you had a large group of people play Deathmatch as their first HoS experience and that is what lured them into buying the game, you'd basically be lying to them about what the game is all about.

At least ROOST and it's community are brutally honest when it comes to the gameplay and difficulty...

Do you want empty servers in two years? Then TWI has to do what they got to do. You can't blame them for it.

What have people been blaming TWI for, you're implying that your major ideas will attract people, and that they are appropriate for the type of game ROOST is and what ROHOS will be...

Reactions: Dr. Pierre Chang
Upvote 0
I think what Knighted and I both want is a balance. Come on guys, you cannot say that everything is bad about COD. They have created some really good game types, and they set a standard for others. The ability to wager your money/points was genius. I mean it's the biggest FPS game out there. There are many good things about the game, it's not evolved into anything, but the same old. RO2 will bring better realistic features. You can't do much to re invent FPS games. Saying RO2 will be COD is just not a good argument. If TWI can bring some of those great games to their game it will just cut the throat of COD. Why not, we are talking about game types that have been established in the community. It would be dumb not to do it. You will steal a huge part of the market. Understand the more money TWI makes the more games and new features we will see in the future. My bet is TWI is wagering a huge amount of their success on this game. I'm only talking about adding some game types, making the game a little less slower than RO and have that snappiness you have with COD. I'm a twitch player, and I would hate not to be able to use my skill. I love what TWI has done so far and they have not compromised. I understand and respect you guys for wanting it like RO1. No one likes their favorite game changed. No one likes a new learning curve after spending years perfecting it. Do you want empty servers in two years? Then TWI has to do what they got to do. You can't blame them for it.

US92 are you kidding me? Casual clans are destroying the PC community? Come on now, I would say they are the middle class of gamers. They are the bulk of customers. I'm a vet at what I do, I'm better than the Average Joe. I've been playing PC serious since Unreal Tournament. I was first trying to establish that I've been rooted in the PC community for years and I have a network of people that agree with me. I'm not touting, I'm better, or what I say is special, I'm only trying to convey that I speak for many casual clans. That's all. Not many get in the fight to make a game successful, or help promote the game, but many sit on the side lines watching. They buy it if it has what they want, if not they don't. They say nothing, but that's ok. I like to fight for things I believe in. My goal is to create buzz, makes some suggestions, and maybe get more involved if I can. :)

US92 is right that casual gamers destroy games, most games get dumbed down now because these people don't understand the main point of the game and want everything to be easy. Also this game is meant to be a realistic WW2 experience and I'm pretty sure they didn't go around in free for all matches to kill each other and steal flags. Also I like how you go oh " no one wants there favorite game changed and do you guys want the servers empty in 2 years", now your just making assumptions as the red orchestra has been around for what, over 6 years now give or take and has had people playing it since the beginning ever since it started as a mod, and it winning the competition by epic games for the best mod made with the unreal engine goes to show that the game is popular with its core features and doesn't need to change to appeal gamers who think twitch shooting is skill.......

Seriously this is coming from someone who playings red orchestra a lot and plays black ops for a quick match here or there when I don't have a lot of time or I want something more fast paced for a bit. 99% of the matches I play I'm the guy on the top, seriously its boring running around the map and mowing down everything in front of you because you saw them first and you have better reflexes. Seriously basically every game is 64-20 30-10 25-10, as well I play hardcore so who ever sees the other guy first or has the better reflex is the most important thing if you want to live. That is not skill at all.

Also a nice example on how casual gamers ruin a lot of games, if you were a hardcore gamer you would know that the old call of duty's had bigger maps, more players in each server, and as well vehicles, like tanks and jeeps, also mod tools. Now compare that with the current cods and see which one is better, obviously the old ones but going on your logic we should never go back to that because casual gamers are where it's at, even though it basically gives the developers an excuse to make a half assed game and be lazy because casuals think the game is amazing without knowing how much more features and how much better it was before.

As well there is already balance in the game if they are going off red orchestra, the balance comes from how the actual fighting was and how it was to be a soldier, in red orchestra when you see a tank right in front of you, you say " oh ****" and try to find cover or make sure he doesn't see you or your dead. As well as we are actually using guns in this game, not like cod or others where we are using BB guns so guns actually kill in one shot and if you get hit in the leg you are slowed down and other main features and they have expanded on this greatly in HOS, especially that now instead of red orchestra where you bleed and it does nothing, in HOS it can kill you, but obviously you think that is un fair or unbalanced. You shouldn't be able to go up against anything as this game is focused on realism, this is not cod where we are going to pull rocket launchers out of our *** and shoot tanks.

Also you can do much to re invent fps games, HOS is showing us this greatly and its going to raise the bar for people who play fps games like they did for red orchestra. You probably just think that its impossible to reinvent fps games as every game that comes out now is just a re make of cod with different features so they can sell money. But since you think its so successful to do what you are saying, lets take a game that has actually tried this, Medal of Honor, it completely redesigned its self to be a cod arcade twitch shooter to attract the cod people so medal of honor could be the #1 game again according to what EA said as they wanted more people to play it. Guess how that turned out.......[url]http://www.gametracker.com/search/moh/?sort=c_numplayers&order=DESC[/URL], im pretty sure that link does all the talking on how many people play the game still. Red orchestra gets more people playing it then medal of honor, and as I said its been along longer then 6 years while medal of honor hasn't even been out for a year and its already basically dead.

So please try to know what you are talking about before going to argue with people who most of us here are actual hardcore gamers, also a tip, don't go around advertising in titles that you are a hardcore gamer, as 99% of actual hardcore gamers don't advertise it and when someone sees someone claiming to be one like you just did, they know the person isn't.

Upvote 0
I think what Knighted and I both want is a balance. Come on guys, you cannot say that everything is bad about COD. They have created some really good game types, and they set a standard for others. The ability to wager your money/points was genius. I mean it's the biggest FPS game out there. There are many good things about the game, it's not evolved into anything, but the same old. RO2 will bring better realistic features. You can't do much to re invent FPS games. Saying RO2 will be COD is just not a good argument. If TWI can bring some of those great games to their game it will just cut the throat of COD. Why not, we are talking about game types that have been established in the community. It would be dumb not to do it. You will steal a huge part of the market. Understand the more money TWI makes the more games and new features we will see in the future. My bet is TWI is wagering a huge amount of their success on this game. I'm only talking about adding some game types, making the game a little less slower than RO and have that snappiness you have with COD. I'm a twitch player, and I would hate not to be able to use my skill. I love what TWI has done so far and they have not compromised. I understand and respect you guys for wanting it like RO1. No one likes their favorite game changed. No one likes a new learning curve after spending years perfecting it. Do you want empty servers in two years? Then TWI has to do what they got to do. You can't blame them for it.

I think that a major lure may be it's striking contrast to the "Mainstream" games. As long as it isn't too difficult for new players to get involved, then it should be easy enough to accomplish this. And luckily, from what TWI has said, it looks like that will be done. Combine this with unique gamemodes, loadsa features massive mods that come out instantly, ect, people will be attracted by something that is A)Good B)Playable by most people and C)Unique. By throwing on wallops of COD features, for example, are you making the game more accessible, or are you damaging the lure of a totally unique game experience.

So really it is indeed about balance to the mainstream gamer; it's just that balance goes both ways. I feel that TWI has finally found it's balance with RO2 as is, but we will see first-hand soon enough.;)

Upvote 0
Oh I agree, I never asked for wage wars in RO2, what I said was it was genius idea. I hope TWI could come up with something that luring. I played some RO tonight and had a blast. 50pc server I think , it was very fun. I love how realistic it seems when you shoot someone. It's very addictive and feels better than COD. Can't explain it.

I think that a major lure may be it's striking contrast to the "Mainstream" games. As long as it isn't too difficult for new players to get involved, then it should be easy enough to accomplish this. And luckily, from what TWI has said, it looks like that will be done. Combine this with unique gamemodes, loadsa features massive mods that come out instantly, ect, people will be attracted by something that is A)Good B)Playable by most people and C)Unique. By throwing on wallops of COD features, for example, are you making the game more accessible, or are you damaging the lure of a totally unique game experience.

So really it is indeed about balance to the mainstream gamer; it's just that balance goes both ways. I feel that TWI has finally found it's balance with RO2 as is, but we will see first-hand soon enough.;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.