• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gripes with KFMod, suggestions on behavior, invisible walls, unique pathing, so on..

Innociv

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2006
I know KF isn't going to just be the mod thrown on steam and costing money.
I know things are being improved. But seeing how there is no changelog, videos, and so on, I don't know what. So I'm just going to say my gripes with my mod, and how I wish they were improved. :D

My biggest problems are with the difficulty, immersion, and zombie behavior.

Invisible Walls, Spawning.
This is just.. UGH. We shouldn't have any more invisible walls in 2009. They've been done away with in almost every recent game.
It's a big flaw, in my opinion, with how zombies apear from around some corner, the same place, every time.

Why can't they come from an inaccessible area?
Maybe coming out from the 2nd story of a house which stairs are broken, so you can't get into.
Maybe over a hill which is too high to get to.
Maybe down from a busted overpass you can't get to.
So on.. L4D did this good.
Why not.. just from ANYWHERE you can't see? You have culling in the engine to not show non-visible places, why not spawn zombies just in places that aren't visible? That's the best solution, but was probably just something that couldn't really be don't with modding.

Random Spawning, smarter spawning
I feel like this is something that's kind of obvious to add in and goes without saying, but I'll say it anyways.

It's so predictable right now with the spawning in the mod. They spawn at these predetermined spots, in predetermined numbers.. (Maybe it's my imagination, but they actually seem to all spawn at the closest location? Or maybe it's that a new wave doesn't spawn from a location until the specimens it last spawned are killed. So when you kill them all from a location, they spawn soon there, while the owns spawn far away haven't been killed?)

How about changing it up to none spawning at a location sometimes?
And the furthest away spots shouldn't spawn any and take ages to reach people.

Really it'd be nice if specimens often spawned at not a location around, but just nearby places where aren't visible, like in just a room or two away. Though that could cause problems if they spawn in a room with all doors welded.. doesn't make sense then.

Not only that, but if people survive a wave with no one taking a single hit, why not spawn double the amount of specimens at a certain spot(but not more in the wave)? Mixing it up and such.
Unique Pathing.
One thing that is really lacking I think is specific pathing for specific specimens.
Take crawlers for instance.. Why don't they jump up onto big pipes that are over a hallway? Why don't they go through vents and such? The pathing should tell certain specimens AI to take different paths SOMETIMES. Like for crawlers tell half of them to follow normal paths, half to take specific paths.
There could be ledges up high that they walk on that the other zombies can't jump to. There should be places too small for others to use, or for players to use, that they use.

AI Behavior.
The biggest problem of all is how they behave.. This is a coop game, the AI and behavior needs to be good. :\ The mod really lets me down with this. In interviews and stuff TW mentioned it being scary but in the mod.. I haven't been scared at all, just annoyed some times.
Movements.
Why don't fleshpounds crouch? On some maps, granted custom ones, fleshpounds get stuck on stairs and small openings because they're too tall. They should crouch when this happens.

And climbing. RO has that great weapon resting thing, detecting edges. Couldn't this code be reworked for zombies to detect things low enough for them to climb over, and they do a crawling animation to get over it? Or in crawlers case, leaping over.

One thing that annoyed me is that in like none of the maps you can't crouch-jump onto things. I imagine this is because if you could, you could get up where zombies can't attack you, because they're really stupid with attacking things above them.. If zombies could climb, this isn't a problem.
They should climb over anything that is in arms reach..
It's another thing L4D did right. You aren't safe getting up on a car. I'm sure some of TW might hate L4D comparisons, but they did the behavior and AI pretty good.

Run where I'm going to be, not where I am.
It just looks sort of silly.. Zombies should go to where you're going to be, not where you are at the time once they get sort of close.

Headshottttt

Right now when you shoot off zombies heads.. like with biles they can't use their bile. That's cool and all, but... it's just kinda lame now. :/

I love that you can shoot off their heads and they still live. I just don't love how they can still see you, hear you, smell you and such.

They don't ACT like their heads are shot off. They just look like it.
They should freak out, like insects do when you cut their heads off. They should just attack non stop around them(hitting other specimens too), and sprint at the direction they where moving. But they shouldn't know where you are. They should just go blindly berserk.. which would be bad when you're right by them, or it's a narrow hallway where when they charge they can't miss you.
Of course that's bad, but it's good that you did a bunch more damage with the headshot. And eventually(like 20 seconds or something?) they should just die from the headshot even if you don't do more damage. It's more tactical that way "hey we can save ammo by getting headshots and then hiding".

Of course, more dismemberment would be good.
Source engine lacks hit detection. UE2 has good ones. (Doesn't RO have amazing hit detection?.. Like you can shoot between legs and stuff?)
Shoot a bloats stomach and it erupts lots of bile out in front of it. Headshot it, and it shoots out above it from its neck and falls to the ground around it. Kill it with legshots and armshots, and no bile. But maybe you WANT it to bile to damage specimens around it? Just not when it's close to you.
And gorefasts.. shoot off it's arm and it can't damage you much. Shoot its legs and it can't sprint. So on. That stuff would be so great. :/
You'd want to shoot the Scrake's arm off too.

Off course even if shooting off more than heads is possible.. it's lots of animations to do, lots of code for the changing their attacks. But damn it'd be cool.

Widdling away piece by peice..
Sometimes it feels like an MMO, where you're fighting that giant boss. You just keep pressing your buttons, slowly dropping it's health one percent at a time. I really hate this.
This isn't difficulty. It's boring.

Difficult is landing perfect shot after shot as fast as you can fire your gun.
Picking away at something with a billion health isn't difficult. It's just repetition. It's boring.

I really wish you had to outsmart the scrakes and gorepounds, not just dump a ton of ammo into them. All it means is that you have to have a ton of distance and people all focusing on them. :/ If that's how retail is still going to be.. I'll be pretty disapointed.

I wish they where harder because of what they can do, how they behave. Why don't fleshpounds bust holes through walls to let gorefasts pour in out of no where? (Of course, holes just placed there by mappers, not red faction stuff.) Or make welded doors actually work (zombies should find other routes, not the welded doors just take a while to destroy them :/) but fleshpounds bust through them easily. And the fleshpounds then hide behind other zombies to use them as shields, so if you want to defeat them you need to get things out of their way fast. They're just.. big, dumb damage sponges. That's just not difficulty..

Welding.
I hadn't played the mod until now, so when I heard about welding in the interview I thought that sounded AWESOME. Playing the mod, it's not. I hope this isn't the case with retail.
For one, a lot of maps don't really even support this.

The ones that do, the zombies still take their normal path to you, and destroy the doors. You can't shoot through them or anything. There aren't like any windows usually on the room you're in, or any windows on the door. On some maps the doors have holes, but up really high where you can't shoot the zombies, only throw a grenade through if you have good aim with them.

If you weld a door shut.. they should take another path until you get to fleshpounds that can knock them down.

But even still, it'd be nice to really baricade yourself in. It'd be cool if welding was more like garry's mod welding, where you can find metal things on the map and use them to strengthen doors to something fleshpounds would give up on.

I guess that's it besides stuff with weapons.
Sprinting and moving slower backwards would be nice. :p But some diehead KF people might not like sprint. Everyone would love some tactical dismemberment though. :p

Jesus man give em a chance they have'nt even started public beta testing.
What relevance does the mod have to a full blown commercial release?

It's like saying the final full colour painting will be the same as the inital charcoal sketch not to be disrespective of the mod.
They are essentially the same but the extra work put into the final polished work is way beyond that of the first drafts.

You need to take a chill pill and let them get on with buisness...;)

Upvote 0
um.. I doubt they will public beta test. And even when devs do public betas, it's a month prior to release when it's too late to add features.

I hate posts like yours :|

I know KF isn't going to just be the mod thrown on steam and costing money.
I know things are being improved. But seeing how there is no changelog, videos, and so on, I don't know what. So I'm just going to say my gripes with my mod, and how I wish they were improved. :D

Upvote 0
um.. I doubt they will public beta test. And even when devs do public betas, it's a month prior to release when it's too late to add features.

I hate posts like yours :|

Lol...Well I'm sorry my post does meet with your approval but neither does yours meet with mine.

And you should know TWI are not your run of the mill developer so don't go assuming they will not beta test nor add fixes from those tests.

Sheesh your a real "My glass is half empty" guy
I have hardly seen a post where you have'nt moaned about something or other from this unreleased game...lol

Upvote 0
I think if anyone that plays the mod had some issues or suggestions, now and here if anything is probably best to post it.

Especially since its been stated on the mod forums that 2.51 is never comming out so all issues with the mod will never be fixed in the mod because it seems that 2.5 was the last mod release. Together with afaik the registration might be disabled there now, and that there is no ideas and suggestions section or whatever.

I do think however that innociv should become a bit more respective in giving out suggestions or ideas. As at the moment even if you mean things well innociv you're really comming over like a forum troll at the moment. When pointing out what you dont like try to point out what you like as well, will probably make it atleast nicer to read for the devs :p.

Upvote 0
Uhh.. you sound like you haven't the original mod at all..

Welding not supported on most maps: Bull****
Zeds need movement prediction: Melee is out of the question then, whilst melee still is a major tactic for ammo conservation (for those skilled enough in it).
Turn the difficulty up: You never played 2.5 obviously, Even teams of pretty damn good players couldn't get past the waves we're flesh pounds kicked in, unless they became extremely lucky or exploited (non-reachable places). Heck, sometimes you even got killed before the fleshpounds came into play.
Sorry for the trolling, but I do have played the mod quite intensively, you can ask any of the -=ZED=- (Old skool KF clan) members, heck, even ask the KF community itself.

Upvote 0
Why don't fleshpounds crouch?

Yeah, i'm sure TW will soon endulge in weeks, if not months of an extensive "FleshPound Training Regime". We may even have them "playing dead" or "rolling over" and perhaps, if we're good...."fetch the LAW rocket"

In seriousness though, for all your whining, you actually do make some good points. ;)

Upvote 0
Lol...Well I'm sorry my post does meet with your approval but neither does yours meet with mine.

And you should know TWI are not your run of the mill developer so don't go assuming they will not beta test nor add fixes from those tests.

Sheesh your a real "My glass is half empty" guy
I have hardly seen a post where you have'nt moaned about something or other from this unreleased game...lol

Dude..
Do you see my join date? Almost a year before you. I've been playing RO since 1.0. I'm one of the better players at least.
I've been in the RO IRC since before RO was even released following it.
You think I'm ignorant to that?
And I clearly stated KFmod in my complaints.

I just don't think you can say these ideas are irrelevant. The devs know whether they are or not, that's why I started my post with the disclaimer. You haven't played KF retail beta anymore than I have, so how relevant my suggestions are or are not isn't for you to decide.

Half the problems you pointed out are to do with the mapper anyway. When the full product is out im sure it will be much better.
Well the official KFmod maps started the invisible walls spawn-around-corners trend..

I think that if you have gripes with the old mod you should post them at their forum.

Just wait till you see the retailversion before you spill your guts.
Um.. but maybe i've touched on something that was overlooked which would improve the game for release?..

I don't really understand those sort of sentiments. :/

I think if anyone that plays the mod had some issues or suggestions, now and here if anything is probably best to post it.

Especially since its been stated on the mod forums that 2.51 is never comming out so all issues with the mod will never be fixed in the mod because it seems that 2.5 was the last mod release. Together with afaik the registration might be disabled there now, and that there is no ideas and suggestions section or whatever.
I'm posting suggestions for retail.. It's not like they're redesigning it from scratch. They have the same(ish) weapons, same(ish) zombies, same(ish) maps, same(ish) perks. You can see in the screenshots some of the maps are very similar to the official ones from the mod. They confirmed 15 weapons, as many as the mod has iirc, including the flamethrower, pistols, something to heal, something to weld. Didn't they confirm medic and support perks? Which are in the mod, even if they are balanced or even work differently.
So this is the best to go by for suggestions on how retail can be better.

I do think however that innociv should become a bit more respective in giving out suggestions or ideas. As at the moment even if you mean things well innociv you're really comming over like a forum troll at the moment. When pointing out what you dont like try to point out what you like as well, will probably make it atleast nicer to read for the devs :p.
Yeah I just said things i dislike, since those are what would need fixing.. You make a point though.

Why did TW even open a suggestions and ideas forum if they don't want any?
Should I use Hello Kitty Online Adventures as a basis for suggestions instead of the mod?

Like I said the devs can simply discount things i've said that have already be fixed/redesigned like zombies always deciding to break through welds instead of taking other paths, the the invisible walls, predictable spawning.

Once the game is out, and thigns are done one way, it's typically harder to redo them another way not only for the time to do it, but time to test it again instead of having tested it while you were testing everything else up until release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
These sound like really good suggestions, its good of you aswell to point out a dismemberment as it would be great to see some out the stuff you said about it espacially about the head shots with them attacking anything thats around them, a great idea really add to the fun of the game. I personally think all these are great but are probably hard to code maybe I don't know.

Upvote 0
He was basically calling me a noob. What am I supposed to say?.. It's the first time i've mentioned it in years and years of being here.

actually no

like everyone else in this forum, he is saying you should calm down a bit :rolleyes:

oh and btw, he joined 1 month later than you, wich could be just one single day ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Innociv I'm not calling you anything...I could'nt care less whether you joined yesterday or was the first person to join on day one.

I'm just saying calm down and let them do their job...without hassle.

I don't think TWI would have thought of releasing KF as a full game without being fully aware of its shortcomings and I have no doubt that the KF mod team who are also deeply involved in the final release would be wiiling or happy to release the final product without ironing out many of the points you have raised.

But your post is flawed simply because you are basing it on the mod and like me, you have no idea just how far they have improved the mod into a full blown game.
Your post would be great if it was based upon the actual game..;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
innociv, not to be rude.
I think if you know RO that long you know an awfull lot about RO, and even moreso when you are a pretty good player of it.
But you forget some of the people on this forum have the same experience level with KF as you have with RO.
Thus you are making some rather unjustified statements. Don't get me wrong, you got some good points too (spawnpoint should be out of sight/reach, altho that is a mapmaker issue)

For example, one of your suggestions:

Run where I'm going to be, not where I am.
It just looks sort of silly.. Zombies should go to where you're going to be, not where you are at the time once they get sort of close.

I, as a pretty good KF player, and certainly one of the better meleers in the game, know that this would make melee pretty damn near impossible. Why? Because the whole idea behind melee in KF is that the specimen is to stupid to predict your movement, allowing you to stab them and then quickly retreat/run. Then stab them again. With your fix, they would be able to predict where you will run to and it is impossible to employ the so called powerstab-retreat tactic.

That works like this.
First you run from the specimen to line them up (less risk of getting backraped/attacked by multiple specimen). Then, you run at them, when 0,75s away from the specimen you press right mouse button (powerstab has a delay), only juuuust touch them with the stab, if properly executed ripping their head off, and then running out of the other specimens their reach.
Because the other specimen will "predict" where you will walk to, you cannot retreat. You get grabbed by a clot, then the whole horde piles you and you are dead. not fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with sniperdragon...

As far as I'm concerned if only someone would fix the bugs plaguing the mod I would be perfectly content. For instance, despite all the hype, left 4 dead never had the staying power of killing floor.

The best part of killing floor was that the game was conductive to the full range of planning from short to long term, and which was unique to each map. To compare with l4d, which only has short term planning in abundance, and mid-term planning only at crescendo events (and that with only a couple of possible variations). So in KF, each map was a many-hour puzzle to solve, to give a team of players a chance of getting to further waves.

Also the multitasking involved in KF was it's strong point - you would need to keep track of remaining & loaded bullets in not just the weapon you wielded, but other weapons you carry as well, mind when you load/reload which of them while at the sime time retreating & watching out for your teammates and picking out the most dangerous targets incoming and possibly healing yourself or mates in between welding... all at the same time! :)

And of course the balance of power which led to beautiful cascades of failures, i.e. when teammates which were supposed to keep that corridor in the back clear fudged up, your team screws up as well, and you all meet up somewhere in the middle of the map, both groups having been overwhelmed and retreating, hoping in vain for support from the other. There have been matches & maps like those, and they were always the best remembered ones. There have even been matches & maps when such situations were miraculously survived, and those are the stuff of legends.

Difficulty was botched in the last mod revision (bugs with monster dmg and behaviour imho), better to increase difficulty by randomly leaving the shop closed between waves, or put several possible locations for the shop on the map but open only one of them, randomly. Basically, balance difficulty by decreasing available resources while still giving the players a chance (or appearance) of avoiding the difficulty "penalty". I.e. decrease healing capability of syringes.

Sure, you can increase GFX details, but that does not need to be a priority, just touch it up a bit to look more appealing to the general audience. Graphics were never the drawing point for the hardcore players, play mechanics were. Keep them in good health, get rid of the bugs and add new maps. Add new maps regularly, hopefully one good every couple of months, and that will keep the game going for a really long time.

Upvote 0