• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Get out of burning Tank to respawn (NOT to fight on foot!)

Capt.Cool

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
Sky high
this thread is NOT about fighting on foot as a tank soldier.

I know TW said "you fight and die in your tank".
That system is good because tankcrew should NOT exit and fight on foot.

BUT what about if the tank is on fire???

Tankcrews were trained to bail out if the tank is on fire and blows up in a moment.
It would be very unrealistic if the crew wait patiently inside their burning tank to be toasted alive... :rolleyes:

The solution:
If the tank is on fire, you have a key to bail out.
You dont see any animation, you just see your burning tank from the outside, and get the message "ESCAPED" or not.
Then you are at the spawn menu again. The only difference is you saved your team a reinforcement ticket.

Edit: Of course the enemy player will get points for destroying the tank - no matter if the crew made it out or not!
But he can get extra points for every crew member who didnt escape...

If you made it out in time or not depends of the time till your tank explode, your position in the tank and of course the tankmodel (commander needs ~6 seconds, gunner and driver 8-10 seconds or more)

I have read that WW2 tanks on fire could explode in 10-15 seconds, so the crew was trained to get out in less then 10 seconds.
Of course the tank can explode sooner (depending where the fire broke out), and you cant escape in time.

You can also stay in the burning tank (like a man) and fire a last shell on the enemy before you are toast. Thats the players decision.

How it would work ingame:
3 players are together in a tank. The commander, the main-gunner and the driver. The tank is hit by a shell and on fire. The fire will reach the ammo in 8 seconds and explode (of course the crew does not know how long it will take). The commander decides to bail out. After pressing the "exit" key he will just see his own burning tank from the outside, and after 6 seconds the message "ESCAPED" appears. Then he respawns (no reinforcment is lost). The driver wants to bail out, too, but his position is not good for a quick escape and he would need 9 seconds - so he dies in the fire. The maingunner decides to stay inside till the bitter end, so he can shoot another round at the enemy tank. So one saved 1 reinforcement, one died as a hero and one as a coward. Like in real life...

For that idea we dont even need additional animation or that stuff!

Last edited:
I was weary when TWI said that you couldnt leave the tank, not because I dont think its fair, but because I dont think its realistic. No rational soldier, or trained one, would want to be burned alive inside of a steel tomb. Now, the exception to this would be, as stated before, the one man who has a vendetta/ burst of honor.

On the flip side, I dont think its realistic to have people hopping out of their tanks as soon as their hit and not letting the winning side get their rightful points.

I agree with the Ideas presented here and would like to see something of the sort implemented in the final product. Just my 2 cents.........:eek:

Upvote 0
IMHO, this sounds tacky.
- First off I think Tripwire is against any kind of 3rd person viewing of yourself while still alive (i.e. escaping the tank).
- Secondly, "Escaped!" or whatever the message would be sounds, well, incredibly gamey.

I'm all for leaving the system as is, or implementing a full exit animation and your character's screen fades to black over 5 seconds or so as you run away. But I believe that if we have any escaping, full exit animations in first person are a must.

Reactions: Capt.Cool
Upvote 0
I was going to be rude and say "you've got to be kidding me" and point you to this thread: [URL]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=48698[/URL]

However, after reviewing the thread, there is nothing mentioned about scuttling a tank. :eek: Perhaps that is an oversight on Ralphster's and BobDog's part? Or perhaps it was mentioned in an interview as a possibilty and not confirmed. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm almost certain scuttling the tank as an option is mentioned by John or Alan somewhere......

Upvote 0
*signed*

Gread idea, only thing I'd add is that it would be immensely more satisfying if you saw your avatar getting out of the tank (like say... in IL-2... you see the canopy pop, and then, as long as you're not in a high speed dive, you jump out). Maybe stay in first person till you reach the exit hatch, then fade to white (or black if you died ;))

Upvote 0