• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

GDC video's (Tanks, destruction, and Beta info).

Nice to see some new stuff!

I'd just wanted to say that I bet Firefight will have it's perfect place in RO. It sounds cool if people sort of get's grouped together, and I know I will play it from time to time when I just want to shoot at stuff or practice a certain weapon. I don't understand why peopel are so negative about it. Any players it can attract will improve the experience for those playing countdown/territory.

I am not sure how the % advantages will work, but in theory it makes sense that not all soldiers are clones. It should be fun if you could choose to have a slightly faster soldier or a guy that got an extra ammo pouhc. Especially if EVERYTHING was a trade off. Like I choose to spawn with 1 less grenade for extra max stamina. It would be fun to have those choices in competitive gaming, at least just to try it out.
Or not, what do I know ^^.

Hmm, maybe I just missed it, but kill assists are in the game? Will they be displayed with kills and deaths in the stats?
(oh yea, those green names should imho really be moved into the "tactical view" dispaly thingy.)
2uomlxe.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

(I'm having way too much fun with SketchUp)

And this is the hero Mosin! Drum Mag Not attached.
tacmosin1wd9.jpg

Haha to not completly derail this thread, I add that most people that are concerned with the HUD forget, that to see it you know to press a button and some of the icons are still place-holders.
Ok thread back on track :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not really related, but I hope that riflemen and MGs start out with 0 grenades. Maybe riflemen can unlock 1 grenade, dunno (that's actually pretty game changing, so maybe not). Hm. But yeah, I've always enjoyed playing as a rifleman without grenades - it makes me feel tiny and insignificant, so I reckon I have to make the most with what I've got, and usually play smarter, more realistically (not nade spamming for kills), and ultimately have more fun.

Upvote 0
The ONLY issues I have with the current HuD are:

1) the magazine weight notification is too big and is right in the middle of the screen. Just moving it out of the way would fix this.

2) I don't like the suppression bar, and I think it should at least be only visible in relaxed realism mode. The way they are implementing suppression right now, it seems pretty obvious when you are being suppressed through visual and audio cues. A bar is simply unnecessary in my opinion.

3) Player names being seen without the player looking at them. I'm all in favor of only having names of allies show when they are close and being looked at by the player. Otherwise, I don't want their names showing.

These are all pretty minor changes and usually things like HUD art and menus are the last things to get polished and completed. Hence the reason I'm not too worried, but certainly want to give my opinions.

I agree here on all points, aside that I don't see the need for a suppression system even in relaxed realism mode. The audio, visual, and gameplay mechanic (increased swaying) and whatnot will make a noticeable difference. That is the point of the system in the first place - to have a visual difference to let you know you are being suppressed. A bar just defeats the purpose IMO.

Oh and ...
Are you just being sarcastic?

He isn't being sarcastic.

Nice to see some new stuff!
I'd just wanted to say that I bet Firefight will have it's perfect place in RO. It sounds cool if people sort of get's grouped together, and I know I will play it from time to time when I just want to shoot at stuff or practice a certain weapon. I don't understand why peopel are so negative about it. Any players it can attract will improve the experience for those playing countdown/territory.

No, that is simply not true. It will mean less overall players for territory mode.

Just because you add in a team deathmatch mode does not mean you will automatically gain 20% more players and they will stick to dedicated Firefight servers all the time have no impact on the rest of the players.

You might be playing territory, and then the server might switch to a Firefight game mode. Some of these people won't bother switching servers. Likewise, all of us who want to play territory will have to exit the game and find a new server. And after jumping in and out of servers 2-3 times in 15 minutes, I loose interest in playing the game.

UT 2004, UT3, and BFBC2 are examples where this is an issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Only thing that looks off to me is the AI of the single player soldiers. hopefully it's just cause it's early on and it's something that's still being worked on (IE how the enemies will ignore the player, firing away while he's right beside them).

I think the AI looks fantastic so far actually.

They behaved weirdly because of godmode, but seeing them dart off when some of them died, or turn to shoot back as they're running to discourage an enemy was great.

Definitely interested to see just how good the AI becomes.

Upvote 0
I agree here on all points, aside that I don't see the need for a suppression system even in relaxed realism mode. The audio, visual, and gameplay mechanic (increased swaying) and whatnot will make a noticeable difference. That is the point of the system in the first place - to have a visual difference to let you know you are being suppressed. A bar just defeats the purpose IMO.
Haha ok but you and me are actually agreeing rather than disagreeing. I also don't see the need for a suppression bar -- all of the elements of the suppression system (desaturated color, weapon sway, heart beat, etc) are all clear enough to show the player that he is being suppressed. You don't need a bar at all!

All I was saying is a compromise would be to have the bar in relaxed realism mode, but I agree that even in that mode it wouldn't be necessary. It would just be an extra HUD element that no one really needs.

Upvote 0
Nice vids -

I especially liked that the tanks now have the ability to knock down buildings / cover provided by buildings with HE and they said the fence snags are gone :)

That is going to make attacking towns easier, as in you can get a deeper look into town and deny cover to the expected counterattacks by reducing cover on the path to your side of town. *Until the HE runs out.

The current Arad Real Forests would sure play out differently in both villages

Upvote 0
As always random events are nice for public play as they spice things up. Im not saying the game should be tailored to the competitive community as its a relatively small minority. But allow competitive players for instance have to have the option for servers to have static guns, and tank AI that will not spot or fire at enemies. The issue is not even that the battlefield changes, it is that by factors of chance rather than player input one team will have an advantage over the other. If for instance team could choose where to place those guns i would absolutely love the ability to vary. I wouldn't mind randomized objects either as long as the randomization stays the same when the teams switch sides, aka when switching side the guns stay at the same position.

Of course competitive players and communities will adapt the game so it can work competitively. The thing is I think that competitive gaming is something that everybody could like. I just think that its not accessible enough for a lot of people to get into it.

If for competitive play you need to download a set of mutators, a set of maps, run third party anti cheat systems next to the game. Remember to run demorec recordings, remember to take screenshots of the scoreboard. Remember to make sure your settings are within spec of the tournament etc. Then you quickly discourage a lot of beginning players, and will see that a lot of new teams will be screwed up as they forget a thing or two.

What I want is an experience of competitive gaming that is about playing the game, with the least amount of hassle and remembering of rules as possible, and the easiest way to attain that is by having those things embedded within the game easy within a players reach.

Agree totally with this, All these things should be possible in server settings etc, If not immediately then patched in a little after release.

Upvote 0
...Just because you add in a team deathmatch mode does not mean you will automatically gain 20% more players and they will stick to dedicated Firefight servers all the time have no impact on the rest of the players.

You might be playing territory, and then the server might switch to a Firefight game mode. Some of these people won't bother switching servers. Likewise, all of us who want to play territory will have to exit the game and find a new server. And after jumping in and out of servers 2-3 times in 15 minutes, I loose interest in playing the game.

UT 2004, UT3, and BFBC2 are examples where this is an issue.
I did not suggest that there would be 20% more playes in RO2 becuase there is TDM. I suggested that the people who play territory for the territory mode would create a better quality of that gaming experience, as people who wants something else can play something else.

With all the firefight hate here on the forums, do you really think that there will be so many popular servers that run a mix like that in game modes?

If that would be the case, then that is what people want? The elite here at the forums can just stick to their own server and stop cry. Or are you unable to organize that?

Upvote 0
With all the firefight hate here on the forums, do you really think that there will be so many popular servers that run a mix like that in game modes?

I have a hard time believing that knowledgable and experienced server owners for any game would have game-type switching on their servers.

I think once things shake out after a few months, you're going to see a LOT more Territory servers than anything else....with Countdown in 2nd and Firefight in a distant third. To me that's just the reality of RO, not me being a Firefight hater. I think one thing we might be neglecting here is that TWI says that Firefight is their "own take on TDM". We need to keep open the possibility that as imaginative as TWI is, they may come up with a twist on TDM that leaves all our jaws on the floor. I would not bet against that.

Reactions: Witzig
Upvote 0
Some really cool new features from the GDC videos I'd like to point out -
  • You can change barrels and reload while under cover when MG is deployed
  • Immediately sprint away when MG is deployed on the ground (making it easy to evade enemy grenades)
  • Wooden fences will no longer stop a tank in it's tracks
  • Tank crews can now get injured or damaged from inside the tank interior
  • Improved and easy to use weapon pick-up system
  • Sometimes when players get shot they go into a slow death mode and have the chance to return fire for a brief moment
  • Player's model faces look even more awesome this time around, see for yourself -
rohosplayerfacesfullofw.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a hard time believing that knowledgable and experienced server owners for any game would have game-type switching on their servers.

This might be the case, I do not play many online FPS games. But in my experience of CS:S, BFBC2, Crysis Wars, UT 2004 and UT3 (though the last 3 far less) this has been the case.

Haha ok but you and me are actually agreeing rather than disagreeing. I also don't see the need for a suppression bar -- all of the elements of the suppression system (desaturated color, weapon sway, heart beat, etc) are all clear enough to show the player that he is being suppressed. You don't need a bar at all!

All I was saying is a compromise would be to have the bar in relaxed realism mode, but I agree that even in that mode it wouldn't be necessary. It would just be an extra HUD element that no one really needs.

Sorry if I was unclear, but I completely agree with you. I thought the whole point of a visual/audio based suppression system was to let you know that you where suppressed. :p The bar is just redundant information.

It is hard to see in the video, but minus the bar, I think the suppression system looks alright.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks good. The ducking looks nice. Still watching the first video. I like the fact that the mounted MGs spawn randomly. I was hoping this was the case, good to know it is confirmed. Makes the game play slightly different each round.

Things that can use improvement:

- The "magazine feels close to empty" being in the middle of the screen. Move it back to the corner and make it small. Things that block your light of sight are annoying. :)

- Weapon reloading seems a bit quick if you are storing your old mags. If the player throws away the magazine (even if bullets are left in in, think of RnL or GRAW) then it seems fine.

- Suppression bar. Even for relaxed realism mode, I don't see why there should be a bar. The desaturation and breathing alone should be enough to let players know when they are or are not suppressed. It just looks cluttered and old fashion, considering games like BFBC2 have even went away from displaying stamina/health bars.

- Weapon switching. Looks far too fast.

- I think the death animations/ragdoll effects looked more authentic in RO1. I know this is still WIP though.

Total agreement there, especially about annoying stuff in the middle of the screen, I hate that beyond words, put that right up the top or bottom or something, as far away it can go :( Also, the idea of a suppression bar would destroy the immersion for me, in fact the whole suppression system seems inferior to ROOST, but it could be different when playing.

Upvote 0
Total agreement there, especially about annoying stuff in the middle of the screen, I hate that beyond words, put that right up the top or bottom or something, as far away it can go :( Also, the idea of a suppression bar would destroy the immersion for me, in fact the whole suppression system seems inferior to ROOST, but it could be different when playing.
I don't see how it could be inferior to RO:OST, given that OST didn't have a suppression system. SOMETHING had to be done in the new game because currently in RO1 it is WAY too easy to easily pick off an MG shooting right at you when in real life that would be either suicide or impossible due to flying debris and the whole bullets thing.

The nice thing is the current system doesn't seem to totally impair your abilities as a soldier like Project Reality (mod for BF2) or Darkest Hour ... both of those mods basically blind you, making it difficult to do ANYTHING when you're shot at. This system lets you know you're being suppressed, makes it a bit harder to aim, but doesn't make it impossible to function, which I like. The only thing I don't like is the annoying heart beat that seems to start and stop too abruptly. I could see that sound getting annoying.

Upvote 0
OST certainly had a suppression system, even if it was "mild".
Yes there was a slight blurring of the screen when shots barely missed. But the system didn't take rounds landing nearby into account and certainly didn't keep people from making perfect shots from huge distances to take out the very MGs that were peppering them with fire.

RO2's suppression looks like it's effective but not too strong so that it takes all control away from the player. Often it's very frustrating to be a machine gunner in RO1 because you never live long enough to play your intended role in the game as fire support.

Upvote 0