• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gather together for gaming?

Thank you for running an IOM server.

Imho you should get rid of the no zoom setting. Without zoom the common rifle class player is at a major disadvantage.
Thus people strive for the smg and sniper classes instead.

Without zoom the players perception of distance is unrealisticly exaggerated. Things appear to be further away than they should be.

With zoom enabled I think the IOM servers will become more popular faster.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think no zoom is the best feature of IOM. As it allows people to move up. The key of a rifle is simply to hit. Teach yourself to hit and you often don't need to fire that many shots that fast.

In ostfront the rifle was my favourite weapon and similarly in iom it still is. Its not because I think its an elite weapon or anything, but its simply point and click. If anything if you want to make rifles stand a better chance, I would say remove their cone of fire from the hip, keep the free aim of course, but if cone of fire gets removed people can fire accurately from the hip in their defence. Sure you got one shot or death, but one shot should be all it takes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for running an IOM server.

Imho you should get rid of the no zoom setting. Without zoom the common rifle class player is at a major disadvantage.
Thus people strive for the smg and sniper classes instead.

Without zoom the players perception of distance is unrealisticly exaggerated. Things appear to be further away than they should be.

With zoom enabled I think the IOM servers will become more popular faster.
By removing zoom, it actually makes the sniper class far more useful, since it becomes harder for riflemen to snipe at long ranges even without a scope. Also, it just makes aiming in general a bit harder, which is awesome because that helps create true firefights, unlike vanilla where everyone has pin-point accuracy.

Also, in my opinion, it just doesn't matter how far away someone actually is compared to how far away they actually are, since as long as everyone has the same limitation, then the scale by which shots are judged just shifts. So a 100m shot with no zoom is just as impressive as a 200m shot with zoom. Sure, it may be a bit unrealistic, but the gameplay benefits make up for it.

Upvote 0
I find that "No Zoom", actually gives the bolt action rifle a better chance. When you turn a corner, there is a target in front of you, you raise your weapon, you hit shift to hold breath...
Normally, you zoom in. This causes a 1 second of slight disorientation, that makes you wait until zoomed in to take the shot.
Without the zoom in, you almost immediately have focus on target, and are not waiting for the zoom to complete, therefor you get your shot off earlier. Zoom in is the worst part of the game, but hold breath, on all weapons, is the best.

I've brought in a few gamers, who never tried RO series, and none of them liked the zoom. They all say, it over complicates the aim down sight.

Looking at realistic effects, you cannot "zoom in", in real life either. A more appropriate feature, would be to slightly de-focus everything while moving, and when holding breath, to increase focus at point of aim. Yes, we all know the zoom was to adjust for the FOV, but the FOV is an inherent characteristic of gaming. Maybe when Oculus Rift gets worked out, it might be different.

Upvote 0
A more appropriate feature, would be to slightly de-focus everything while moving, and when holding breath, to increase focus at point of aim. Yes, we all know the zoom was to adjust for the FOV, but the FOV is an inherent characteristic of gaming. Maybe when Oculus Rift gets worked out, it might be different.

Personally I'm a big contester against taking focus away or enforcing focus on something to players. :p

All factors that make it more difficult to see something while moving in real life are actually in game (vection & headbob). Those 2 things make it difficult for your real eyes to focus on something if its closeby, but actually when looking at the distance you shouldn't have a lot of issues.

Similarly I'm against a forced focus on the ironsights, when I look at my computer screen I often check different parts of my screen. The actual part of focus of my eyes is only 10 degrees wide anyway (as with any eye) its simply your eyes can move so fast that you think everything is focused. (look at someone's eyes while he or she is reading its crazy :p)
If the game is only sharp around the ironsight area, then it basically removes the ability of using my eye muscles that I have in real life.

Upvote 0
I find that "No Zoom", actually gives the bolt action rifle a better chance. When you turn a corner, there is a target in front of you, you raise your weapon, you hit shift to hold breath...
Normally, you zoom in. This causes a 1 second of slight disorientation, that makes you wait until zoomed in to take the shot.
Without the zoom in, you almost immediately have focus on target, and are not waiting for the zoom to complete, therefor you get your shot off earlier. Zoom in is the worst part of the game, but hold breath, on all weapons, is the best.

I've brought in a few gamers, who never tried RO series, and none of them liked the zoom. They all say, it over complicates the aim down sight.

Looking at realistic effects, you cannot "zoom in", in real life either. A more appropriate feature, would be to slightly de-focus everything while moving, and when holding breath, to increase focus at point of aim. Yes, we all know the zoom was to adjust for the FOV, but the FOV is an inherent characteristic of gaming. Maybe when Oculus Rift gets worked out, it might be different.

The mutator allows you to turn off the automatic zoom with iron sights, but allows you to keep the shift-zoom which I think is the best of both worlds.

I also tend to think of the default view as being zoomed out (because things appear smaller), and actually zooming is just bringing yourself to actual view size with loss of FOV.

:D

Upvote 0
Yeah, no zoom rockz.:D
One of the very best features of IOM for me.

-Nothing forced me to run around in IS for a better view.
-Same Chance for everybody in the game, everyone have the same view all the time (no magic zoom for "camping" player A, when player B is moving without zoom = 100% fair)
-The whole world seems much more authentic (realistic)
-Sniper class is much more important (with zoom for every weapon it is nearly useless, i was a much better sniper with my rifle in vanilla RO than with a scoped rifle)
-More suppression fire with MGs instead of MG sniper fire (shift zoom)
-In vanilla RO2 you are running without any zoom, too and it's easy enough to spot an other player. ---You just have to aim a little bit carefully know to kill with the first shot.
-No more confusing about auto zoom when you go into IS in close combat
-Every map is perfectly playable without zoom. Even the large maps we have right now like barashka, bridges and winterwald.
-The only problem i see is the distance we see in our kill message. This should be disabled or it need a update (not sure, but i thing PanzerJager was working on something similar). Some people can't understand that the distance of the kill messages doesn't count. It shows you 50m but your target seems to be 100m away without zoom. With a change/remove people wouldn't care about and just enjoy the great gameplay feeling without any zoom.

There are so much advantages without zoom for the whole gameplay (feeling) and i am really happy to see people who see it the same way after playing IOM without any zoom.

Yes, i am a no zoom fanatic. Before dibbler add no zoom into his sound mutator i was playing RO without any zoom too. I just have changed my config like Fisher have write it into this forum.
I do not care about i was the only one on the server without any zoom. For me authentic gameplay feeling beat the disadvantages for no zoom on distance. With IOM everybody can enjoy the game without zoom. And i see it very positiv.
And i am very glad to see that 40-1 is running IOM without zoom.
Once i have try the RGN server, but they have zoom enable. I have left it a view seconds later. I just have thrown some grenades to check out if this server really use IOM.
No zoom is perfect, a real step forward.
I wish no game would use zoom anymore. Even games like arma and dayz. Those games, even with a very big map, are perfectly playable without any (laggy) zoom.

Keep your settings 40-1 and i will join you as often I can.
Can't wait to see IOM with the new vehicle update.
And i really hope there will be no problems for IOM because of the coming RO patch.

See you on the IOM server, soon.

Happy easter everybody

Ps would be nice to see more custom maps like univermag and streets of stalingrad. But i agree with Tea. We need a much larger playerbase for IOM first. Sadly a lot of people leave when they have to download a custom map or other custom content. So it will be good to have new official custom maps in the next RO update.

(Written on smart phone)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The mutator allows you to turn off the automatic zoom with iron sights, but allows you to keep the shift-zoom which I think is the best of both worlds.

I also tend to think of the default view as being zoomed out (because things appear smaller), and actually zooming is just bringing yourself to actual view size with loss of FOV.

:D

Although I'm a strong no zoom contender, I wouldn't mind zoom as much if it wasn't automatic. However the inability to zoom while running makes me still dislike it. If enhanced focus would work while running i would be ok :p.

Upvote 0
-The only problem i see is the distance we see in our kill message. This should be disabled or it need a update (not sure, but i thing PanzerJager was working on something similar). Some people can't understand that the distance of the kill messages doesn't count. It shows you 50m but your target seems to be 100m away without zoom. With a change/remove people wouldn't care about and just enjoy the great gameplay feeling without any zoom.
That's not true. 50m may look like 150m without zoom but certainly doesn't feel like it if you can run up to the guy in 10 seconds and stick bayonet up his ***. It may seem nice and rewarding for you to shoot barely visible enemies at 100m but for me and many others it just feels like special olympics :)
Togglable fov switch (aka zoom) worked and allowed realistic engagement distances since first Operation Flashpoint. Why remove whole zoom system instead of improving it (by adding possibility to zoom while moving)?
Sight misalignment i've seen on one of dibblers videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLjOLQdOF3Q[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLjOLQdOF3Q[/URL]
is MUCH better way to prolong firefights than no-zoom approach where players simply can't see sh*t :p

Upvote 0