• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Female Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeinna

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 19, 2010
I am not sure if this has been posted before and I looked, not seeing it, so I thought I would go ahead and suggest this.

Can us lady players get female avatars? I love this game, have been playing it for a long time and would like to be represented. I was disappointed when I first got this game and out of the many choices for men, there was not one for me.

While it doesn't keep me from enjoying and playing this game, i'd like to one day be able to chose a female. I like to shoot things in the face just as much as a guy.

I don't see the issue everyone has with no female characters. When I play a game that has only female characters, I tend to not give half a crap because they affect nothing most of the time. That's also happens to be the case here. They do not affect gameplay.
However, there's nothing wrong with adding them; it's just that a new voice will have to be made and match the corresponding characters, which you understand is a lot more work than just throwing models in The Game.

Upvote 0
Realistically, it'd probably be difficult to tell a skirt from the blokes if she was in full gear like many of the default squad members (e.g. Lewis, Briar) are. It's reasonable to assume a serving female would meet similar physical standards, no?

I'll give you the voice part, though. I imagine most of us aren't suited to providing it, so if you (or a friend?) could record something good, somebody here might pick it up and make it a mut or something.

Reactions: Wüstenfuchs
Upvote 0
I don't see the issue everyone has with no female characters. When I play a game that has only female characters, I tend to not give half a crap because they affect nothing most of the time. That's also happens to be the case here. They do not affect gameplay.
However, there's nothing wrong with adding them; it's just that a new voice will have to be made and match the corresponding characters, which you understand is a lot more work than just throwing models in The Game.

True but it make some diversity between different model.
But you can say there is not a lot of woman on military sector ^^'
Have a Nike Nobel or a DJ Scully in the game is enough for me but if some people want female's characters...there is no problem
Games like killing floor, left 4 dead or borderlands have less female's characters than male's characters then there is no problem to have some more woman's model on the game

Upvote 0
Adding a female model wouldnt be as simple as youd think. In addition to making new models, textures and animations theyd have to create new voice dialogue for female characters too, which means theyd have to hire a female voice actor.

Unless they wanted to do it the easy way and just make a female character DLC without any voice acting. Would seem/sound a bit stupid but... I dont know.

Upvote 0
Ah..this issue. You know, it never gets old.

Personally I think that its a lot of work, and I understand that and will not be rabidly angry if TWI is overworked and can't, but it would be nice. I know a lot of girls that are starting to play KF, and with that growing population is a growing desire for representation, which is perfectly reasonable.

Except that TWI is a very small company that sets very high standards to make some top notch games, so they are already stretched to breaking point.

So, if those at TWI would bless us with such a thing, then I say yes. And, for their troubles, I say make it DLC so at least they can feel good about the time they put into such a chore.

Upvote 0
Imagine this scenario: In every single game you're interested in playing, the player character is a flamingly gay man who doesn't speak any English.

My understanding is that it's sort of like that.

Frankly, I'm tired of the people who are so quick to jump to the why-nots whenever someone suggests this. You never see this sort of reaction if someone suggests only one new monster type or one new weapon type... if someone suggested like 20 different characters I can see the first reaction being "it's not so easy to add a new ____" but we're talking about one new voice and at least one new character mesh.

It just makes me wonder if there's something else going on behind that...

Upvote 0
Imagine this scenario: In every single game you're interested in playing, the player character is a flamingly gay man who doesn't speak any English.
I would not give half a crap. As long as the model responds to my controls, I am fine with it.
I don't care if females get added or not, I just wonder why people think it a problem at all. RO had boring player models and none of them spoke English, yet I liked it very much.

Upvote 0
while I can see why some would want it, and I will support it.

But I can just sense that some of them that requested this are the 'gamer girl' type, the ones that go around and say "YES I'm a girl, and that I game. GET OVER IT". The type that makes a big show for it for nothing and get very annoying (not that I am saying you are :D)

But s*** happens I guess, i'm all in for equality

Reactions: Vaecrius and SMIFF
Upvote 0
I wouldn't say that adding female characters is about gender equality. ._.'
It could be or it could not be, depending on the exact implementation.

Best possible implementation I can think of off the top of my head: She's dressed with similar gear to the d00dz, has more or less the same lines (come to think of it she could probably have exactly the same lines, the gender reference changes that would be called for would affect all players), and there is no effect on gameplay.

Worst possible implementation I can think of off the top of my head: She looks like the "female commando" model from the original UT but with more skin showing, can carry 2 fewer blocks' worth of stuff, and can only play as medic or sharpshooter. Chest is a vital damage spot.

Upvote 0
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=43660[/URL]

Here, eiriaslies began making a playable female character.
I was the one to test it. There's bugs in it.
Here's the video I took while testing. (Not very good quality, sorry)

YouTube - Testing The First Female Killing Floor Character [Beta Model]

I haven't really seen her working on it lately, I'm not sure if she's finishing it.
I have a DL link for it, if you wish to have it.

As of "Avatar", if you mean the player portrait that you see when players are talking or when you select a player, she has a female player portrait with it that I made after I took the video. If that's all you're looking for, you can easily make a custom player portrait if you wish.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.