• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Everyone loves a good debate... PC Gamer Article

It would be interesting to go through the differences in features between ROOST and HOS and see how they change how the game is played. Besides those mentioned by Zetsumei those I can think of that could be game changing are:

• In ROOST the difference in sway when in cover/prone and not was huge (no sway at all with the weapon rested).
  • In ROOST you couldn't interrupt reloading (was this possible in the mod?).

Upvote 0
Ok, one thing, I want to bring into descussion, fix the weapon recoil, I mean shish, the rifles have a very small recoil compared to other weapons in-game, also LMG aren't the best featured weapons you know. The simplest of solutions, bring some game hardened veterans with experience to test these weapons on a server, untill they get it right, so that it wouldn't be a problem anymore with the recoil.

Also, I love classic, especially because it is very balanced, but what I like more about it is the fact that you don't have any sort of leveling, that makes a lot for the game, especially that you don't see any soldier running around with a scoped MKB/AVT at level 50, all weapons are balanced to not be overpowered.

Furthermore, I love the fact that there isn't any zoom in, it is much harder to score kills like this because you do not have anything to grasp on, only skill alone, leaving you to play the game based on your level of skill rather than a helping mechanic. In my opinion, it should be removed from pistols, smg's and rifles the mg's are very good as they are in classic, making them a very fullfilling experience.

Also has anyone playd Arma 3, it has a lot of new features, features that RO 2 could learn a thing or two, I don't maybe implement them in-game. Dslyecxi's Arma 3 Movement & Shooting Tutorial - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, so why aren't they making Ostfront for free, it isn't played by almost anyone, it isn't a good thing just to keep it on the shelv to accumulate dust and ask to pay for it, if no one really wants to pay that money. Why isn't it free, so that people can have a Red orchestra experience, to further appreciate the game, and attract more people to the community. Why isn't Ostfront free?

Upvote 0
Something like that, so that it would make the series more popular, lets face it, almost nobody has heard about Red Orchestra, by promoting Ostfront, by making it for free would be a huge step forward in atracting the game. As it is for being or not being free, I have a great example, just look at World of Tanks it has such a large numbr of players and a very large community, why because it is free, not entirely free but, enough to enjoy the game.

Also I don't see the reason, to keep hidden such a game, like not giving it to the masses, we only grasp on it hopping that someone would pay for it, but why should they pay for it, if they haven't heard of it, really. I can gurantee that, if people ought to attract more players, such an ideea shouldn't be ignored. If I were you, I would do anything in my power, to attract community players. But again Tripwire its up to you to decide. Either you charge money for a game that is almost dead and don't bring it up to the players, or ressurect it and make it available for all players. The choice is yours.

Upvote 0
7) Yes I barely read the RO2 forums any more. Frankly there are just too many people here that no matter what we do, good or bad just go super negative. So I let Yoshiro brave the waters most of the time and fill me in on what the pulse of the community is. It is a real de-motivator for the Tripwire devs, and frankly makes a lot of them want to go work on KF instead of RO.

Every free update I have to motivate a group of developers to work on giving away free stuff. And to be blunt, they can either work on KF or RO2 free stuff. So show the RO2 devs some love, so it is easier for me to get them to make you free stuff :)

Considering the amount of complaining in the KF section of the forum, for the TWI devs to choose to work on KF over RO2 must mean there's a lot of hardcore negativity here in the RO2 world.

Upvote 0
7) Yes I barely read the RO2 forums any more. Frankly there are just too many people here that no matter what we do, good or bad just go super negative. So I let Yoshiro brave the waters most of the time and fill me in on what the pulse of the community is. It is a real de-motivator for the Tripwire devs, and frankly makes a lot of them want to go work on KF instead of RO. For me, we shipped a broken product, and the GOTY edition fixed that broken product. So aside from fixing bugs, everything we add to a game after we ship is a gift to the community. We don't make money off you guys when we add maps or additional content. We spend a ton of money doing it though. Then we give it away. For free. Then we get hated on because we don't give ENOUGH free stuff. Well let me tell you a little story:

Way back when we released RO: Ostfront we did a TON of free updates, with lots of maps, new vehicles, weapons, etc etc. And the community loved it. What the community didn't see was that behind the scenes Tripwire almost went bankrupt because of it. There were at least two times that I took out loans personally guaranteed by my house and everything I owned to pay the employees and keep the company afloat for a few more weeks. By the grace of God we kept afloat, but all those free updates nearly put Tripwire out of business multiple times. Yes that's right, some of that free content you got put me in danger of being homeless and closing the doors of the company, no joke.

Now I'm not telling you this because I want sympathy. Tripwire is rocking now, selling lots of games, and I get a decent paycheck because of it. I tell you this because I just hope that some of you realize just how much devs have to risk to give you free content, and that it really is a gift. And while we have a lot more money than we used to, we do have to be careful not to give away so much free stuff we go out of business (especially now that the company has 40 mouths to feed instead of the 5 we had when we shipped RO1). Every free update I have to motivate a group of developers to work on giving away free stuff. And to be blunt, they can either work on KF or RO2 free stuff. So show the RO2 devs some love, so it is easier for me to get them to make you free stuff :)

I don't know if John is reading this thread anymore or not, but I just wanted to comment on this one more time.

I still say when purchasing a TWI game, many people know or hear about TWI's commitment to that game. That includes continued work on the game as far as tweaks and bug fixes, and the implied promise of at least a few free updates. We saw that with ROOST and KF and to some extent with ROHOS.

I can understand that working on too much free content/material can potentially put a strain on a business. However, it has been implied (I won't use promise) that more content would be coming such as several new tanks and possibly a couple more maps. After a year and a half I think most ROHOS players would have expected to see more and that is even considering the more difficult nature it is to create such content. Also, considering how custom mappers are able to put out maps in their spare time compared to those who do it as their job, it makes you wonder what is going on (sorry if that last part sounds brutally honest).

So, do you have to give anything away? No, of course not, but how would that look considering TWI's past history? Is that a plus or negative for potential future sales and potential future games?

Also, to finish off. By not being present here on the forums (as in the past), that is a negative reaction to the fans of this game and their concerns. No one is expecting day to day interaction and the wasting of your time responding to all posts, but making appearances more often can only help. Heck that would go for any dev at TWI, their absence is noted as well.

PS: People don't hate TWI for not giving away enough free content. I would say they get agitated when they don't and no one from the company is there to explain what is going on, that's a possibility (hint hint pop into the forums more often). And if you do feel there are a couple of haters, don't we have the option to ignore them here on the forums :D

Maybe, why not make Ostfront for free, to make the waters less restless. :IS2:

While making Ostfront free may encourage some players to purchase ROHOS, I fail to see how doing this will make the natives less restless. In fact, if more people were playing Ostfront, I'd play it more and ROHOS less especially if there is a server running the good custom maps and not just 'stock Danzig 24/7 stuff.'

Upvote 0
I don't agree with the whole ''As much as possible must be free''. I don't see the logic in pushing indie developers to give away content. If there is any company that should give away content it is big companies, but that is not the case, it is really the opposite which is ****ed up.There is work behind the content. This means that there is money behind it.

I do agree that some content should be free. They are much better off selling it, but their fans are also better off, because cash means the company can expand. If it is an indie developer that means a lot. It is also important to remember that it takes A LOT more time, effort and money to create stuff for RO2 than it did in RO1.

For me free content isn't just about the money. It's the mentality that the gaming company have. If they sell you content in an honest way without the intention to ''rip you off'' then it may aswell be fine - if the content hold a good quality, that said. I bough ARMA Anniversary Edition even though I already owned Operation Flashpoint: Cold war crisis (or Arma: Cold war assault as it is called now) including all its expansion packs, plus Arma: Combat Operations and Arma II which I also already own. I would gladely pay full price for Rising Storm, and I would pay for an expansion pack for RO1.

But here is a problem. I rarely play RO2 and when I do I am limited to Classic Mode and that pretty much sums up it all. And I only prefer to play on custom maps. Not because vanilla maps is bad, but because the level design feels like a killing arena. I have no interest in the other modes and a lot of this interest is taken away simply because of the progression system (or rather: unlocks and perks), the fast-paced gameplay, all the aids, and the 'Combat Area' restriction. That is mostly makes any other mode than Classic completely uninteresting for me. I miss many features from RO1 aswell as the style of play.

RO2 was never broken for me because of poor performance, bugs and glitches. These are the things I can look over. In a game from an indie developer I can forgive that if I think their (the company) intention is good, and I know that TWI have good intentions. But considering the fact that RO2 isn't very interesting for me because of all this I don't feel encouraged to pay for Rising Storm or indeed any content at all, and so freeupdates does not make the game different.

Upvote 0
I don't agree with the whole ''As much as possible must be free''. I don't see the logic in pushing indie developers to give away content. If there is any company that should give away content it is big companies, but that is not the case, it is really the opposite which is ****ed up.There is work behind the content. This means that there is money behind it.

I do agree that some content should be free. They are much better off selling it, but their fans are also better off, because cash means the company can expand. If it is an indie developer that means a lot. It is also important to remember that it takes A LOT more time, effort and money to create stuff for RO2 than it did in RO1.

For me free content isn't just about the money. It's the mentality that the gaming company have. If they sell you content in an honest way without the intention to ''rip you off'' then it may aswell be fine - if the content hold a good quality, that said. I bough ARMA Anniversary Edition even though I already owned Operation Flashpoint: Cold war crisis (or Arma: Cold war assault as it is called now) including all its expansion packs, plus Arma: Combat Operations and Arma II which I also already own. I would gladely pay full price for Rising Storm, and I would pay for an expansion pack for RO1.

I don't necessarily think everything should be given away either, or limit what content you do give away.

The problem is, if you do sell it, you must do it in a smart way so as not to fragment the community. That is more so with a game like ROHOS where the number of people playing at one time is rather small. The way that TWI may do RS is rather smart. You can buy it, but if you don't you can still play it all in a limited capacity.

How would you manage that with tanks and maps without excluding the players that can't or choose not to pay for extra content? This especially after its implied that you will be getting some of it for free anyway...

I should note, I still consider RS to be more of a mod and not an expansion since a mod team has done most of the work (as far as I know). I'd be just as happy if the mod team worked on it exclusively and it came out at a later date like all the other mods for ROHOS will. Even more so if that left more time for the TWI devs to work on ROHOS (the Eastern Front etc).

Upvote 0
Hello, RO 2 fans,

It's good to see Tripwire talking about their job.

... so here is the kickoff for one, from a discussion between Evan Lahti of PC Gamer and our own John Gibson, while Evan was out here for a look at Rising Storm:

[URL]http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/call-of-duty-red-orchestra-2-interview/[/URL]

Discuss :)

Here we can see Tripwire "under fire" of Cod gamers. Ramm try to give an answer to Cod gamers.

Guys, please be constructive with the TWI crew. We value your opinion, just try not to give it to us with a note attached to a brick and thrown through our window :) One of the big reasons that TWI supports competitive play is because I used to be a competitive gamer back in the day (way back playing UT one-on-one ladders, and Day of Defeat competitively with a clan). I know that one of the best ways you can enjoy a game is through the tension and thrill of competitive matches. TWI are putting all this time, effort, and money into TWI ladder because we care about the competitive community. So please, try and remember I'm on your side and those bricks thrown through the window might just hit me upside the head and knock me senseless!!! :)

We got lots of community feedback about the problems with the original Countdown. We integrated that feedback into the design for the new version, and tested it for weeks and weeks, including a beta that was open to all. The feedback in the beta was overwhelmingly positive. It was much clearer to players what the victory conditions were. Transitions were much smoother and less jarring. There was a whole pile of bugs resolved. Multiple rounds were eliminated, so you wouldn't get those confusing times when you won a round, but then lost the match. It just became two halves, that's it. People that were not having fun with CD before, were now having fun.

One of the comments we had about CD was that it was too difficult to understand what was going on. You had two separate timers (objective timer, overall timer), kill points, crazy tie breaking statistics, etc. So one of our big goals with the revision was to streamline this so it was easy to understand, and fun. So we changed it so that either you captured the objective and moved forward, or didn't and lost. No crazy tiebreaking statistics, no multiple timers to track, etc. We did LOTS of rounds of the updated CD both internally, and with the public in the beta. Once again, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive.

Just to be clear, not ONCE in all of our testing internally or externally did anyone ever just suicide to exploit the system, nor did we even consider this. Understand, we are not clairvoyant, so we can not look into the future and see how crafty clanners are going to break our gametypes (unless they get into the betas and break them while we are working on creating them!).

There is one thing that I need some clarification on though. I watched Freeman's video about the problem. The thing is, in clan matches (or pub games), the other team isn't just going to stand there and let you cap the objective immediately. They are going to be trying to stop you from capturing the objective. So if team 1 captures objective A in 45 seconds, but fails to capture objective B at all (whether through natural gameplay, or the suicide exploit), then Team 2 fails to capture objective A in 45 seconds, wasn't team 1 just the better team? Both teams had the exact same opportunity to capture/defend the objective. Isn't that actually completely fair?

So what do we do now? From my perspective, we have a gametype that I believe plays really well with most pubbers, but not well for competitive play (according to you guys, who are the experts). As the poll in the other thread showed, the majority of players like the new version better than the old version. We're going to consider all the options, but in the short term I think the solution will be for competitive matches to use Thor's mutator if they desire. Then moving forward we may look at adding some of the options in Thor's mutator as server configurable options in the official gametype.

Here we can see Tripwire "under fire" of Hardcore gamers. Ramm try to give an answer to Hardcore gamers.

(Note this : "So please, try and remember I'm on your side and those bricks thrown through the window might just hit me upside the head and knock me senseless!!! :)" )

So ...Tripwire is under fire by double way. Under fire of Cod gamers and under fire of Hardcore gamers. Not easy to Tripwire to make happy everybody. They try. Cod can kill RO 2 as the same way Hardcore can kill RO 2. Two deaths need to be avoid to RO 2 : death by Cod and death by Hardcore. Becoming as 90% of FPS is not a good way to be a video game. But becoming an island - even an island of heroes - is not a good way to be a video game too. Tripwire do his job as Triwpire team. They don't think by dichotomy (as Cod gamers and Hardcore gamers think). They think in the way of the biggest unity possible. Tripwire try to built betwen gamers, and it's a good thing. Something that Tripwire can't create is the open mind of players. They can't change mind of Cod player for which RO 2 is too hard. And they can't change mind of Hard core gamers for which RO 2 is too easy. Cod player need to turn his mind to accept RO 2 has a great game : hard for everyone. Hard core gamer need to turn his mind to accept RO 2 has a really great game : open to everyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think Moe hit it on the head about giving away content

The implication from TWI was that we would get more tanks and campain mode later on and tbh they haven't yet delivered on these - they definately put tanks on hold that much has been said, the lack of communication from them is what winds people up tbh - if theres problems with fitting stuff in or technical probs then share that with us so at least we understand why were not getting what was promised and offered.

As for the whole COD thing that came over very much as sour grapes - it may not have been meant that way but that was very much the feeling some got, which bearing in mind the changes to RO2 to accomadate COD types seemed in hind sight a not good move

However whats past is past and we need to look to the future

Upvote 0
Previous design decisions by TWI emptied the bleachers of hardcore ROOSTers. The people that are left are a combination of ost vets that accepted the new RHOS and new players.

To keep what community remains, TWI needs to start providing doses of new content. Whether this is free or not, it needs to be done relatively soon.
The longer this drags out, fewer and fewer will be around to care to play it.
New games are coming out constantly to draw one`s attention away.

We have the potential for a really great game here.

Upvote 0