• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Does anyone here actually prefer RO2 tanking to RO?

Leopardi

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
I'm curious, I just find the tanking system so incredibly boring and feelingless with the pixel skipping mouse aim etc. RO tanking was one of my favourite gaming moments but in RO2 I just don't do it. At all.

The accurately modelled interiors sounded cool before the release, but in reality they go to waste when 99,99% of the time you either look through scope or on the top of the tank... definitely wasn't worth sacrificing the heavy vs medium vs light tank setup of RO.

:cool:

I still enjoy tanking as much as I ever did, and judging by the increasing popularity of TWB IronHorse, so do others. But there is truth to what you say about the current operating controls as opposed to the ones used in RO1.
The interior modeling was a bad trade off. I've learned to work the new controls well enough for my own satisfaction, but sadly, a serious price was exacted by the interior modeling which really has hobbled vehicle expansion.

Upvote 0
Yes, I really do like RO2 tanking better IF...

We had more tanks and vehicles than we currently do. In the beginning it was great because we were all under the impression we were getting more vehicles WAY sooner than we did, and we had hoped in greater numbers.

But its hard to stay more than marginally interested with so few choices...

Upvote 0
I love RO2's tanking, I love everything that can go wrong, the attention to detail, I just wish more servers would run them, especialy run the full damage capabilities/ destroying parts of it. Imo the only thing we need is light and heavy tanks + assault guns and it would literaly be perfect.

^
This. It's absolutely more fun and immersive with full damage /maiming on for tanks. When my tank is literally limping along the battlefield in search of a resuply point, it raises the tension/heroic feeling 10 fold. The true Heroes of Stalingrad drive tanks with disabled turret rings, and crush the puny pristine posh panzers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
generally ro2 tanks are very realistic and complicated, but there is some things that i really hate:
-only 2 tanks
-crews die ONLY if you hit them directly ( they never die if you shoot near them but dont hit directly )
-you cant hit and blow up ammo in enemy tank's turret
-extremely annoying bugs like teleporting, stuck, shells blowing up in air, etc.
2 and 3 make next things:
- it looks like shells dont explode inside the tank. they dont damage anything if they dont hit it directly. Even if you shoot tank's turret with 2 or 3 crews and ammo inside
- usually all tank duels are " shoot enemy aimer/reloader to win "

ro1 tanks' advantages are:
-they arent bugged so much like ro2
-they dont have " shoot aimer/reloader to win "
-megatonns of different vehicles.

And of course,
in ro2 you cant leave vehicle but you can in ro1.

Upvote 0
I thought the AT tank rounds back then didn't explode. I could definitely be mistaken, but I was under the impression that they were basicly giant hardened steel bullets.

actually AP shells had TNT inside. And it exploded inside the tank. They could penetrate both sides if armor is too thin, but its not about pz4/t34. IRL if AP round penetrates tank, it explodes inside, create frags and hit many things. If you shoot turret, it hits many things, especially crews.

Upvote 0
actually AP shells had TNT inside. And it exploded inside the tank. They could penetrate both sides if armor is too thin, but its not about pz4/t34. IRL if AP round penetrates tank, it explodes inside, create frags and hit many things. If you shoot turret, it hits many things, especially crews.
Ok wasn't sure.
I probably heard that crap on the History channel or something :p

Upvote 0
I like tanking in RO2 much better than in ROost.

In ROost it looked like ping pong. Angle your tank right to the enemy and you could stand granades very long.

But there are still bugs in RO2 and irritating things that can be improved.

Many players don`t use the right strategy / tactic. You won`t live long if you stand high on a hill for example.

And i do agree with aaz777.

Upvote 0

They do not in fact explode inside the tank. High-explosive anti-tank warheads (HEAT for short) were developed during WWII and made from an explosive shaped charged that used the Monroe effect to penetrate armor. The explosion actually happens outside the tank.

Very few tanks in reality actually exploded like they do in game. Most are taken out by internal fires, that (besides more tanks) is what i would like to see added most.

crews die ONLY if you hit them directly ( they never die if you shoot near them but dont hit directly )

This is also untrue as i have had as many as three crew members taken out by a single shot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They do not in fact explode inside the tank. High-explosive anti-tank warheads (HEAT for short) were developed during WWII and made from an explosive shaped charged that used the Monroe effect to penetrate armor. The explosion actually happens outside the tank.

Very few tanks in reality actually exploded like they do in game. Most are taken out by internal fires, that (besides more tanks) is what i would like to see added most.

HEAT and AP shells are different. HEAT have special effect, explosive detonates outside but its hot gas penetrate the armor. AP shell is primitive, it penetrates armor with its metal body and deliver a small TNT piece inside. In other case it would be close to useless, no explosion inside = no ammo/fuel explosion.
post-258-1169487322.jpg

3 is small TNT piece

This is also untrue as i have had as many as three crew members taken out by a single shot.
may be they were in 1 line :)
for me it never happened. I shoted pz4 many times and i saw, if i shoot several cm to the right or left, i dont hit the crew. but if i shoot little bit left/right - aimer or reloader is dead. IRL if shell penetrates turret, all crews must be wounded or killed.

Upvote 0
Well the RO2 tank system is clearly superior. My problem is the lack of content there mostly. And maybe the mouse aim, it feels a bit cheap compared to RO1. If we had half the variety of some RO1 tank servers i would be in heaven :) I really liked playing on Debrecen with a nice mix of stugs panzer4 panthers and tigers against all kind of soviet armor. Even then tanks felt a bit strange (clowncar ram), but i really liked the mix of units, tank destroyers hiding in bushes, tigers spearheading attacks etc. Don't get me wrong what RO2 has is top notch quality but it's still a panzer4 against a t34.

Upvote 0
Prefer Ost greatly

OST definitely had some problems, and RO2's interiors and damage system are cool additions... However, I've had countless epic tank battles in Ost, and none in Ro2. Honestly though, I think it just comes down to the fact that Gumrak sucks and the infantry/tank interaction is none existent.

Flanking the Russian tank with a panzerfaust on Konigsplatz ..... some of the best gaming I have ever experienced. So much tactics, so much immersion, so much skillful aiming, so much tension, so much heart beating out of chest as machine gun fire and artillery rain down upon you while you try and eyeball the arc and just narrowly get the perfect shot! Gaahhh the nostalgia.

Upvote 0
While i dearly loved tanking in RO1/DH, I feel the tanking in RO2 is better....Unfortunately twi in their wisdom chose not to give us more tanks nor provide us with any combined arms maps. Had they done that i think you would see many more people enjoying tanking...Imagine gumrak with open buildings and transports .....

At this point, we can only hope modders will provide the necessary equipment/maps to move the game forward.

Upvote 0