• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Company of heroes

with the trainer? :)

I already made an extensive mod

half hitpoints for all unit, doubled infantry squads number, tweaked Skirmish AI,
made AI used fog of war etc

gave tanks a minimum range so the tanks gun/MGs can't shoot where they can't tilt down too! So infantry can get close and make em squirm. Also reduced Stug rotating speed...I think I'll reduce all tank rotating speeds
Tiger turret speeds need top come right down...

debating on wether I should even up AT and tank gun ranges, but make AT guns harder to hit from distance as they should be. Stug's lower profile should be harder to hit as well, which will make more sense when I up the gun ranges

There is a penertation/deflection system there which you can overhaul it close to RO's system :)
Will need to revamp ranges and values across the board though

OOOooooh please let me know if you get the armor tweaked. ATM, it's the most annoying thing. And yes, the AT guns should be harder to hit. Maybe not *too* much for small arms fire, but a cannon shot shouldn't be consistantly landing right on the front of the gun.

Upvote 0
OOOooooh please let me know if you get the armor tweaked. ATM, it's the most annoying thing. And yes, the AT guns should be harder to hit. Maybe not *too* much for small arms fire, but a cannon shot shouldn't be consistantly landing right on the front of the gun.

hit two major snags

the penetration value is some % value for each weapon based on range, it isn't based on specific armour/tank....
So an ATG can penetrate a Tiger as easily as a M10, except the Tiger has more hitpoints!

accuracy is some arbituary figure each weapon has based on a 3 stage range spectrum, it isn't based on the target the gun is shooting at AFAIK. So an ATG is just as easy to hit as a Tiger!

There is probbaly a way to get around this system, but it will require some head scratching :)

The cover value do modify the accuracy too I think, so maybe giving ATG a positive cover value boost across the range, even in open terrain might do the trick

Upvote 0
What seems to make it hard for people starting out is that you have to skirmish. Dawn of War made you be agressive, but CoH takes it to a new level. Having a larger forces doesn't always equal a win, either. You have to pay attention to where your units are, what their doing, where you need to use skills/abilites, so on and so forth. It took me a while to be able to beat the CPU on normal but it was worth the practice IMO. From there it was all easy peasy

Upvote 0
This game in its unmodified state is a piece of crap, and the multiplayer community is plain awful. In lan it is OK, but other than that, I found it to be a Dawn of War clone with absolutely no substance and pretend realism. Overhyped to the max. I made the unfortunate mistake of buying it.

To anyone who might defend it, consider the following:
1) Chance is a huge factor in this game, my sniper might miss yours four times, but you may hit mine in one shot
What's more, is that this little insignifcant event can cost you the game, because speed and micro (and chance) are what it takes to win, not tactics and strategy.
2) Troops are insanely inaccurate, I'm not sure what the U.S. army did, but they didn't train their troops to shoot, and obviously the well trained German forces can't hit a damn thing, even veteran troops can't!
3) A sherman magically has super armor and can withstand a tiger shell- and deflection does damage? Wait the sherman can deflect tiger shells? GG relic.
4) Allied AT guns can shoot...*gasp* AP rounds? I never would've thought an ANTI TANK gun would be shooting ARMOR PIERCING rounds...Load HE damn it, we don't have 50 ammo!
5) Tanks magically shoot a mix of AP and HE rounds (Ok i guess there were HEAP rounds...but..cmon)
6) What the heck? Crocodile Shermans? Were there even any in normandy for christ's sake?
7) Sweet, my airborne are superheros and a c-47 flies over everywhere to drop one man in for my squad
8) Germans never had any artillery whatsoever, but the Americans certainly had 105 mm howitzers littering normandy
9) Man, even though they were insanely obscure, there must've been a few thousand pershings called into battle throughout company of heroes MP history
10) Yeah, allies and axis built huge combat bases all over normandy- strangely we can't find any.
MP MOMENTS (frequently):
11) Kicked from the game? What the heck...oh dang, level restrictions and...oh: German(and other nationalities) Only...yeah.
12) Man who is this dick who isn't building anything...oh man must be another smurf.
13) Man my ally ****s....WOW gg, he dropped... cool two on one
14) Wow, my sniper died because he missed, and my MG-42's are next
15) Cool, 105mm craters in my base
16) Oh wow, look at that, a tiger, i'll spam rangers
16) Ostwind....damn those guys load fast.
........need I point out any more bullcrap?

If you could get in a game without some immature CS kid booting you straight out, (or xenophobes) maybe multiplayer would be fun, but beyond getting in the game, it's plain stupid. Who would sit and watch while their assault gun shoots at a rifle squad, and a HE shell explodes in the middle of them but they survive and "sticky bomb" your tank (sticky bombs were only capable of disabling tanks for god's sake!). Give me a break, this game balances out nicely, but it's pathetically stupid. Physics and living AI have been accomplished before, and personally while Faces of War has it's game killers, it achieves the whole concept of combat much better than Company of Heroes does.

Currently (because i never like wasting my money) I am part of a modification effort to bring the russians in game in the place of the allies, and to bump up realism a good deal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No way in hell that anyone can beat expert, unless you can give me some proof like a replay.

The Expert AI on the full version is actually quite easy to beat if you know how the puta thinks. It is actually not very smart and a human player will nuke it every time. I can attached two replays if you like but there are the basics of how to beat it.

Puta AI fundamentals are:
1. The AI will always beat you to tank stage - even in my best game it produces a tank first.
2. The AI is hellbent on getting tanks at all cost which you can use to your advantage
3. The AI remembers what units of yours it encounters and will produce opposing units (ie produce a motorcycle if you have a sniper) which you can again use to your advantage.
4. The AI is hellbent on gaining as many fuel, munitions and manpower points as possible, particularly fuel if it sees you have vehicles which you can turn to your advantage.
5. The AI rarely caps (builds a observation post) on a point straight away which is a weakness

So here is how to beat it.
The findamental of how to beat expert is to capture sufficient manpower, fuel and munitions to build at least one preferably two AT guns before their first tank rolls to your base which must also have some tank traps around it. If you can do this, you can easily win.

So how do you do this? Well you cant beat the AI in terms of speed as he can control ten units at once so you've got to be smart and use to above principles I listed. At the start of the map, the AI will be sending out heaps of engineers to capture as many points as possible but forgets to put observation posts on any = big mistake. Your strategy is to capture one 10pt+ fuel and cap it as well as 10pts worth of munitions capped for as little points spend on your units. That is ALL you need to get AT before his tanks arrive. I usually go either ARMOUR doctrine of AIRBORNE depending on the map - AIRBORNE for Angoville, ARMOUR fo Semois for example but it doesnt really make much difference in the first critical phase.

So you have to know your map. Find the closest 10pt+ fuel and send your first engineer to it and build and ob post on it when it is captured. Whilst this unit to going there, create two more eng units and when the 2nd arrives, send it to the manpower points that join your base to this fuel point. Build obs post on these as well. I always try and use multiple eng units to capture and build to speed it up. If you encounter any enemy engineers, double up your eng units and they will retreat after a while as they know they cant beat 2 versus 1. But focuis on capturing and puting obs post on and not fighting. During this or when done, capture and build ob point on at least one munitions point closeby -not one on the other side of the map. You should now have a path to a good fuel point protected by observation posts as well as some munitions points, one of which is also protected by an obs post.

Now, send an engy back to base and build a weapons centre, followed by a supply yard. While this is happening, capture nearby points but dont cap them. All you need to do is provide bait for the AI - they will keep mostly away from you observation posts linking your fuel point if they have other easier points nearby to capture. Avoid conflict at all costs unless you can 2 verus 1 them with your engineers. Let them re-take some of these non-essential points and then go back an re-capture when they leave - they wont build an ob post so will be easy to re-take. But protect the fuel point but only if it is about to be critically damaged and only with a pack of 2 or 3 engy units topgether. Keep this pattern of taking-hiding-retaking going until you have enough fuel to build the motor pool. At this time, he will be buidling his first tank so when you have the motor pool building underway create another eng unit at your base and use them to build tank traps around your base but enough of a distance away to shield the machine gun emplacements - build these in small strips of 5 of 6 crosses so you can get more completed in case his tanks arrive sooner. Completed traps hold up more than longer partially built ones. If you feel like it, add some wire too to stop bikes and troops.

Build the AT gun as soon as you can - two is optimal. By now, your engineers out in the field will start to get flooded by enemy units and wont be able to hold the lines - but as the AI has only ever seen an engineer, they wont have many non-tank vehicles. So dont be afraid to retreat these units and loose some points or obs posts as the crucial phase is now over. Even if you loose most of your points, you shuld have enough now to win.

To summarise, you should grab the fuel and portect it by creating observation posts on it and on the sectors joining it to your base. You should be toying with the AI by only showing engineers and retreating from fights then re-taking points. You should fast-track to AT guns and put some tank traps around your base.

Once you have killed off the tanks he will now sends, it is time to re-take points. I like to do this using light vehicles like the APC as these realy rip up troops particaulrly if upgraded with the machine gun. Whislt battling the tanks create 2 of these from your motor pool and re-take some points. He will send out tanks in which case you need to either lure them back to your base so the AT guns can take care of them or create more AT guns and put them in the field which is where the AIRBORNE doctrine is good.

Once you have a few points back and put ob posts on them, you have a choice in how to attack his base. You can build tanks (slower) or go the APC/AT gun method which is what I like. Just get an APC to start hammering away at this base and drop some AT's nearby with an APC protecting them. Keep producing APCs and dropping AT guns until his base is destroyed. Or just roll in the tanks. Dont bother captruing too many more points unless they are close to your own points - you need to keep attacking to keep his resources low.

By the way, you may sometimes need to vary the mix of units sometimes. For example, the AI may send out snipers at the start in which case you have no choice but to get a jeep or do lots of retreating (snipers cannot capture points) Or you may lose and eng unit which may need replacing - try to retreat them before they die as it is cheaper to re-enforce than buy a new unit. But the basic contstruct is still the same - try only to use 3 or 4 engineer units up until the first AT gun it built. After that, do whatever you like.

Thats it! I will attached some replays if you would like - I have a really good one from Angoville where I overran him in 25 minutes and one from Semois where it was the first time I played expert on Semois so took me 50 minutes to get it right.

Upvote 0