• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Company of heroes

Yeah. There are hard games, then there's CoH. LOL

It's hectic. Fortuantely though, it's hectic in the right way. You don't have to spend much time bothering with your base other than initially building it, but you DO have to pay attention to where your units are, what they're fighting against, where your weak points are so on and so forth.

Fun, but the learning curve means that you'll generally lose even against easy AI (the AI seems much better than it was in the beta). Tanks still do stupid **** though, like turn their ass to face the enemy's AT guns when they could of just backed up the 10 feet, they dogpile like they have giant magnets stuck to their hulls, and they love to get to point-blank range to fire on their targets, even when you have something that can spot for them further up their LOS.

All in all a great game (the campaign is ZOMG so hard!) but some of it's few flaws just happen to be pretty big, which lessens the enjoyment (path finding and vehicle AI being the big two).

Upvote 0
The campaingn seems to be all over the place in terms of difficulty. I got stuck for ages on the Carentan bridge defence, even though I knew what was coming from the demo, the Red Ball express mission took me awhile, yet I took Cherbourg on my first go, the V2 rocket site on maybe my third, and now I'm stuck on St.Fromand.

Upvote 0
notice with the movement of single vehicles they move ass back, this works that way so they can retreat with the front facing forward. But this isn't so good if you want them to move forward, so its best to move back, away from the enemy and then forward to new loaction

also it works better when you shift+click to queue/way point a bunch of movement orders then it works well

I progressed through all the missions on normal level up to 10 so far first time ok, but I missed my medals on the last few!
Some of the mission medals are damn challanging to get, it took me 40 mins just to establish a strong foothold in one misison let alonge complete in 50min to get the medal :)
But I tend to creep up slowly, scout and build up defences as I go otherwise you get ambushed!

That Mortain mission is frantic to say the least! Remind me of a Vietnam base siege defense against the VC :D
I messed up in this 2 part mission by not doing so well in the first part, so the units and situation carries over to the 2nd part and that left me in a big hole! So much to defend, so little time and units!!!

Upvote 0
yesh looks like the Ranger squad can have 4 weapon slots! That's why one of my squads had 2 zooks and 2 shreks :cool:

--

BTW I found a trainer for COH! You can remove the pop cap at will with it
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/blitzforce/Temp/cohtrainer1212-ch.zip

for v1.2 only though

some of the main functions

OPTION USAGE AND NOTES

F1 - INFINITE MANPOWER (player only)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
This is a very simple option, you just turn it on and you have infinite manpower.
F2 - INFINITE MUNITIONS (player only)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Another simple option, activate for infinite munitions
F3 - INFINITE FUEL (player only)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Once you activate this option you will have infinite fuel.

F4 - INSTANT BUILD (UNITS/UPGRADES/VEHICLES) (player only)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Nice option here, when activated you will no longer have to wait to build
any of your troops or tanks etc, they will build instantly.
F5 - REMOVE POPULATION CAP (player only)
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
You can now build as many units as you like without any rescritions.
(improved now.. ive upped the max units allowed for a future option
we are working on where u can make units with 10 tanks or 10 engineers)

F6 - INFINITE COMMAND POINTS (player only)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Another simple option here, turn it on for infinite command points so you
can now choose all those nice little extras to help on the battle field.

F7 - INSTANT BUILD STRUCTURES (player only)
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
This option enables you to build any structures, barracks, sand bags etc etc
instantly.

----------

Also with this beta mod tool you can look at and extract the files into your WW2/Data folder

http://wiki.reliccommunity.com/Modding:Mod_Studio_Usage_Guide

You can't edit it right now, so that COH will recognise them, but you can edit Dawn of War lua files with it

after taking a look at the AI files, I might try take a stab at modding the Skirmish AI.
seems to be lots of flexibility as far as having different personalities and even race/map specific focus

I can already see why each of the different AI levels act the way they do and why it always dodges the arty strikes way too well....
smile.gif

And why it never builds the Sherman Crab addon to bulldoze the tanktraps I build, it had been set on ignore upgrade, although I have seen the AI build it once in the single player demo. Also wirecutters and mine sweepers...
Also the AI units have less health than the player's :)

I noticed there is an AI folder and a AIFinal folder which look to be essentially the same - what gives?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
here's hoping they patch in a speed slider like in Dawn of war

some game types I think would be good to mod into the skirmish

Single Victory point/Area control type game

IMO the VPC game type is too fractured with multiple points and such

having a single VP that decreases the ticker for the person not in control. Now the capture of the VP will be much faster than it is now to allow for this change

This should channel the action and up the intensity

Perhaps instead of a VP capture, an area control would be more realistic. Whoever has more units in a certain area would slow down his ticker countdown etc

Attack/Defend map style game type

Another game type could be like that Carentan or Mortain mission. Where you get a certain time to setup defences to stop the Attacker capturing a VP. The attacking side will have a resource advantage off course.
And there will be a time limit to get the attacker moving
When this is finished, the roles are flipped, and now you attack. Then the scores are compared and the winner determined etc

And maybe combine the both to get an uber game type
smile.gif

first single VPC mode to determine who starts as defender for the 2nd game type, and then scores of all 3 combined to get a winner!
So basicly you get a meeting engagement, then the victor defends, and then he counter attacks. Yeah a long gaming session but cool IMO

Perhaps a gametype where you base cannot be destroyed, so the action is concentrated on the frontlines. Or maybe even a game type where you buy your units upfront and meet head on in a death match.

Upvote 0
LOl that trainer is so much fun!

Last night I played skirmish and insta built 10 goliaths and sent them all over the map, carnage

Also they are good for blowing up the bridges, send 10 of em to a bridige, boom!

15 sniper rush is awesome! :D
a big stack of howisters going off together - wow what dust a cloud :eek:

Gotta love the english female accent that speaks when you enable each cheat mode :p

Upvote 0
speed control for COH!

Ok, took me a while, but here it is.
smile.gif

First, you need to add "-dev" to the command line in your CoH shortcut.
Next, when in game, press SHIFT+CTRL+~ to bring down the console.
And finally, type "setsimrate(#)" where # is the speed at which you would like the game to run. I believe 10 is the default speed so typing "setsimrate(5)" would make the game run at 50% speed. And it does. Finally you can see all them firefights in slow motion.
icon_smile_wink.gif

Enjoy!

P.S. this is actually a console command for DoW, seems they haven't changed it. In DoW however, you could also use in it multiplayer, if the game master allowed it... since CoH has no such option, I wouldn't try this in multiplayer (don't know even if it would work, haven't tried) because it can lead to out-of-sync problems and screw up your game.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about mission number, but mission length is monstorous once you get past the initial stages. I've been on the same mission(mission 5) for days because of the resistance the Germans have been putting up. However, I'm right on the doorstep of their HQ and have two Sherman Fireflies inside the gates, so things should speed up.

*edit*
I want to make a more fitting health system, dropping it down to one-shot disabling(can be revived with medics, which are in the game for at least Allies). How exactly do you replace the files ingame?

Upvote 0
im wondering if itll run on my lappy... can anyone tell me

1.6ghz centrino
512mb ram
x600 64mb

doesnt matter if its in low settings, having this game on the lap would be awesome. ill probably get more ram too.
Here are the system requirements:

1.5.1 What are the system specifications?

Such a great looking game requires a powerful engine. Therefore, Company of Heroes is a pretty demanding game .As such, the minimum specs are as follows: Pentium 4 @ 2.0 GHz (or equivalent AMD processor), 512MB of system RAM, and a 64MB DirectX 9.0 compatible video card that supports pixel shader 1.1. You

Upvote 0
So how is the final version of the game looking? How long does the campaign last, and is there a good variety in mp maps?

The game is pretty good, there are some good missions and some not so good robotic feeling ones....

The maps can take quite a long time to play in hour terms! there are 15 missions in all, although 2 missions reuse the same map, with persisitant units and situation etc. Each map will take about an hour on average and some a lot more! There is a time limit on some, but you can go over it, just that you lose the medals. So about 15-30 hours of gameplay there, depending on what level and how fast you go through.
Some can be replayed and will go differently, some aren't worth it.

MP maps are kind a bit samey after a while, but there is a good variety of siutations, some at night too. Some with bridges that can be blown up. Mostly evolve around urban, hedgegrow, bridgey and one rural from ememory
I wish you could skirmish some of the campaign maps, but someone will probbaly mod the maps out for that purpose.

Might not have enough content and life overall.
But playing online will probbaly add to the life of the game, the AI needs some work for SP. I might take a stab at modding it, once I figure it out
Dawn of War was like that too, but once the mods and maps came flying out that sure changed in a hurry!

Upvote 0
*edit*
I want to make a more fitting health system, dropping it down to one-shot disabling(can be revived with medics, which are in the game for at least Allies). How exactly do you replace the files ingame?

Well that mod tool above allows you to look at em and extract most of the files to the WW2/Data directory as .lua where you can edit them by hand
Now the game doesn't natively recognise this file type unlike Dawn of War.

But by -dev command line it seems you can!
So the easiest way is maybe reduce the unit health of both Axis and Allied?
Or see what the sniper rifle does and emulate that or double damage for all weapons - harder way
The better way is to do this, but make a new mod of the edited data, so you can keep the orirginal data in there

I might take a stab of editing it for you and see

-----

now about the speed slowdown thing above
here is a scripted version made by someone!

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/blitzforce/Temp/autoexec.lua

Press Z and X to add/subtract from the speed, Q to reset to defaults. Shift+Z, Shift+X to add/subtract 2 to speed. This works in game and in replay mode!

Shift+Control+~ to bring up the console and type.. print(getsimrate()) to show the actual speed. BTW the default setsimrate is 8, and you can use this to speed up and slow your replays too! So a setsimrate(20) will make this go uber fast which I tried yesterday! :)
So good way to keep through a long replay.

The speed is reset everytime you start a new game or mission though

copy it to the file to COH directory. Then make sure to add "-dev" to the command line of the CoH shortcut to make it work
so right click your COH shortcut icon and click on PROPERTIES. In the TARGET line add a space and then this to it: -dev
It should look something like this:
"C:\Company of Heroes folder\RelicCOH.exe" -dev

-------------------

Who wants more zoom?

stick this file in your COH/WW2/Data folder
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/blitzforce/Temp/camera.lua
don't worry it's empty, so if you don't like it just delete the file
then you have to add "-dev" to the command line of the CoH shortcut to make it work
so right click your COH shortcut icon and click on PROPERTIES. In the TARGET line add a space and then this to it: -dev
It should look something like this:
"C:\Company of Heroes folder\RelicCOH.exe" -dev

Then the Model detail setting in the toptions determines how much you see as you zoom out and thus framerate etc
SWEET!! I finally feel freed up
You can now see what the Fak88 is shooting at while still having your screen on him

----------
also you may not be able to play online with the -dev mod - not sure

Upvote 0
all the unit data in that mod tool view seems to be be under

attrib/epbs/races/Allies/soldiers/

or axis where it says Allies

then under health for each unit type - hitpoints
seems different units have varying hitpoint levels. But 55 is for the Allied rifleman, 65 for Rangers. 60 for Grenadiers etc

so for one shot kill, you would have to reduce it
but remeber not all bullets hit the target and cover has a big modifier like in real life.

Weapon data is under attrib/weapons

most small arms and MG weapons do about 7-15 damage, and the Allied sniper rifle does 65, 45 for the Axis by the looks of it.

So for one shot kills you could either reduce the health of infantry down to 10 or so, the easier way or double all the weapon values
But some units like Knights Cross have a HP of 120, so not sure how your gonna scale eveyrthing out to make the different units from better to worse and make the weapons different. I mean the hitpoints could be factoring in other things as well rather than just pure stamina

anyway none of my edits made any difference, so the -dev thing doesn't work with the Attibute data

I would like to make the squads full size....

Upvote 0
Who wants more zoom?
Then the Model detail setting in the toptions determines how much you see as you zoom out and thus framerate etc
SWEET!! I finally feel freed up
You can now see what the Fak88 is shooting at while still having your screen on him

Now this is excellent news.
One major setback with this game is the "always-being-zoomed-in" feeling.
If this would work in MP: heaven :)

Upvote 0
Now this is excellent news.
One major setback with this game is the "always-being-zoomed-in" feeling.
If this would work in MP: heaven :)

LOL lots of typo there by me

well when the offcial mod tools are released, then it can be made to work in MP too I think :)

If you alt+move mouse around until you get a top down view and zoom out with mouse wheel, it looks a bit like the Close Combat series :D

Upvote 0