• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Company of Heroes 2

During Leningrad siege trucks failed to pass the frozen lake because it coudn't support the weight, so tanks feels like very risky move and almost impossible to do. I don't remember any case where tanks were used to cross frozen lakes, only infrantry.

Actually, at Leningrad, a unit of 45-ton KV-1 heavy tanks crossed Lake Ladoga by driving on the winter ice, with the turrets removed and transported seperately. Miraculous, but it happened.

Glad to see a bigger developer finally paying some attention to something outside of Normandy, but Company of Heroes never appealed to me personally, above all because of the random-number-generator nature of the ranged combat.

Men of War is imperfect, buggy, and finicky, and the voice acting is still nerve-cringing five installments later, but after playing it, I can never go back to anything with health bars for vehicles, base building, etc...

Upvote 0
the base building in COH is actually why i play COH and not MOW, cause with no base to smash there is not something to work toward, and i cant tell someones tech level and what they might build if it just instantly appears. There is a reason why star craft is how all RTS games are rated against after all. Dawn of War 2 missed this boat and paid for it as well.

Upvote 0
the base building in COH is actually why i play COH and not MOW, cause with no base to smash there is not something to work toward, and i cant tell someones tech level and what they might build if it just instantly appears. There is a reason why star craft is how all RTS games are rated against after all. Dawn of War 2 missed this boat and paid for it as well.

Having an Elefant or a Pershing just warp in instantly at an inconvenient moment is rather annoying at times...

...Men of War is certainly not perfect, that's for sure. Never thought I'd play an RTS where "spawn camping" was actually an issue. The multiplayer needs a little additional thought, certainly.

Upvote 0
my issues with the first game was that it felt cramped with assets getting in the way of each other and unrealistically short ranged engagments, which prevented tactical manouvering - your typical rts click/build/upgrade type thing. Dawn of war skinned for ww2 basically.
If this is similar i'll be passing - i just prefer TA/Supcom RTS or close combat style RTT games...

Upvote 0
I think the main issue was that DoW2 wasn't as good as CoH in any aspect. And it has nothing to do with base building.

Base building could be replaced with tech trees and it woudn't change the gameplay of CoH.

Play dawn of war 1 and then play dow2. Dow1 used base building perfectly, to make all of the race's play completely different. Necrons used only power, orks needed wahhhggg, imperial guard base were all bunkers you could fire from, Chaos bases were covered in taint that hurt morale, tau could build 2 different buildings to get 2 different tech trees, eldar base could be stealthed and even teleported to different areas, SM were the generic side, dark eldar had buildings that collected souls for extra abilities, and sisters of battle used faith but largely functioned like a generic side.

The point im making is, all of this was thrown out when you dont have bases, and it is too shallow. This is why base building should always be in a RTS.

Upvote 0
Play dawn of war 1 and then play dow2. Dow1 used base building perfectly, to make all of the race's play completely different. Necrons used only power, orks needed wahhhggg, imperial guard base were all bunkers you could fire from, Chaos bases were covered in taint that hurt morale, tau could build 2 different buildings to get 2 different tech trees, eldar base could be stealthed and even teleported to different areas, SM were the generic side, dark eldar had buildings that collected souls for extra abilities, and sisters of battle used faith but largely functioned like a generic side.

The point im making is, all of this was thrown out when you dont have bases, and it is too shallow. This is why base building should always be in a RTS.

Well sure:

Command and Conquer Generals:
--Chinese buildings could be mined
--American buildings spawned Rangers upon destruction
--GLA buildings could be left with a "Hole" that would re-build the building

Starcraft:
--Zerg buildings must be built on creep, regenerate health.
--Protoss buildings must be built in power field, regenerate shields
--Terran buildings can lift off, be built anywhere. Can burn down.

That's all well and good for a modern/sci-fi setting, but this is a World War Two game we're talking about here. A field first-aid post set up by the Red Army, Wehrmacht, US Army, British Army, or Imperial Japanese Army isn't going to differ by all that much between factions.

And for a World War Two game, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to train troops and build tanks on the field of battle itself... defensive options like bunkers, of course, make perfect sense.

Upvote 0
I get what you are saying and i agree partly, but i dont know of a better way to have tech trees and a timing to the gameplay that is better than the base building. The base looks cool, can change the gameplay of a side, can offer a visual clue to what the enemy might be trying to do to you which rewards scouting, etc. It also slows down teching.

I like men of war but i always feel like its missing the big end game, the battle for the guys base. In MOW when i win it does not feel as fun, cause winning in MOW is as easy as killing the guys King Tiger he saved up for that instantly appeared, and now he has no man power and now i win. That just isnt as much fun to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like men of war but i always feel like its missing the big end game, the battle for the guys base. In MOW when i win it does not feel as fun, cause winning in MOW is as easy as killing the guys King Tiger he saved up for that instantly appeared, and now he has no man power and now i win. That just isnt as much fun to me.
That's why I prefer the frontline gametype :p

Upvote 0
:D
TakeMyMoney_zpse804adff.jpg

Sorry, I am a sucker for this game.

Upvote 0
Meh, such uncalled for bumping, from a mod even.
I was at least expecting to see some lacklustre article regarding some cliche new feature they were going to announce, pfff. :p

You want meaningful bump? I'll give you meaningful bump, COMRADE!

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/company-of-heroes-2/1226154p1.html

For those that prepurchase Company of Heroes 2 on Steam, their purchase will go towards a meter that, upon reaching certain tiers, unlocks a bunch of stuff. At the first tier, a TF2 hat and badge. Up next, a free copy of the excellent Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution. Finally, if a whole bunch of folks prepurchase Company of Heroes 2, everyone gets the Commissar Chest, which includes free in-game currency to use towards future content, an XP boost, a unit boost (whatever that means), and the Commander Archetype. Sounds rather generous to me.
Same thing XCOM: EU is doing.

I don't know what "in-game currency" alludes to, but it'd better not be a first notice about some sort of microtransactions. If it's just in-game currency you earn to unlock stuff, fine. If CoH 2 is getting loaded down with inane, full-blown "online features!!111" hysteria, I'm going to be fairly annoyed.

Come to think of it, THQ is one of the last big publishers that still hasn't created their little online fiefdom.

-edit-

Derp, it's right there in the quoted section. "To use toward future content." I guess there's not much point getting pissy about it, this is how just about any AAA game operates now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope. They can shove their ingame currency - sounds like either some kind of crap used to purchase 'better' units or to buy future DLC. I really hate it when they tout DLC before the damn game is even released; call me old-fashioned, but I prefer the old and proven expansion route (if it's an actual expansion, of course, not a pathetic attempt at milking some more cash by providing half-assed factions and a couple of new maps). Not to mention the 'unit boosts', XP boosts and the crap like TF2 hats and badges. Sounds like the only thing worthwhile in there is DoW 2: R, unless it's a crappy game (genuinely have no idea).

Unless the DLC is rolled-up sleeves - must buy in that case.

Upvote 0