• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Can we get the SDK early

Its quite simple architecture, but will add other things to nice it up.

On the old board there was this UT3 topic. I was told there tat the future was the use of static meshes. When you take a look to the stock UT3 maps
you can see they use a lot of them, but still use bsp for walls, ceilings and floors. Off course it was easier to use bsp to build architecture, but as Xendance said its a performance thing.

Optimizing has changed there is the culldistance volume now. For more info read this tutorial.

http://www.evilmrfrank.com/Optimizing.htm

Upvote 0
Yea, BSP building shells still apply. Just the most simplest forms...

so all this BSP trashtalk in UE3 was just BS? woosh! for a moment you all had me scared, what advanced mapper would use BSP in UE2.5 for anything but the most basic building shells in the level anyway?
if i understand the difference is that you should make as much in SM as possible in UE3 for optimisation just like before, but now it won't look as crappy anymore?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so all this BSP trashtalk in UE3 was just BS? woosh! for a moment you all had me scared, what advanced mapper would use BSP in UE2.5 for anything but the most basic building shells in the level anyway?
if i understand the difference is that you should make as much in SM as possible in UE3 for optimisation just like before, but now it won't look as crappy anymore?

Yea, pretty much all details (and big stuff too) are done with static meshes. And lighting on them can look better now since static meshes can be lightmapped like BSP surfaces are now.

Upvote 0
let the rats jump off the sinking ship first :D
i will see it only when my curiosity for the new engine will outweigh my greediness that stops my from buying a game i will never play :/

I'm in the same boat as you... I wanna play around with UT3 engine to get a feel for it and practice some mapping... I wonder if there is a demo out there or something that will allow us to edit? haha...

Upvote 0
When you have it you will get more familiar with importing textures,meshes and create a material for it. I can lend all you cheap gamers 8 EURO. Off course I need to calculate a little interest but you can spread your investment on a longer period.

I'd like to take out a loan of UT3. I can pay you back in semi-annual checks over the next 35 years.

Upvote 0
you can start using the UDK from epic (just google it) for free, it includes about 3 maps, so you can see what they do in those to achieve the level of detail.
i am still personally learning the udk (it's quite different from roed/ued/kfed) but i suggest getting the "Mastering Unreal Editor" books, there are 2 volumes for the new udk, and they explain a lot.
my only concern is how translatable will my maps i'm working on now be when ROHOS actually comes out?, considering how ut2004 maps made with ued didnt port easily over to roed.
i know there will be differences conerning objectives/collision on meshes (to inherit the new weapon collision, so no more simple blocking volumes over no-collision s-meshes to cut down on cpu cycles) so maybe a post of mapping hints for those of us trying to get something ready for the release would be helpful.

Upvote 0