• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Can mappers please define the map boundries?

Harry S. Truman

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2006
I get tired of playing maps, especially the HUGE ones, where you go to walk/drive around the backside of a building and you get the dreaded "you have entered a minefield!!!" message! :mad: Isn't there someway you can define the boundries of a map rather than killing off players for stumbling out of bounds? I'd rather have an invisible wall.

Maybe show the minefield?

Maybe show the minefield?

Mr. President,

I totally agree with you. The time from the initial "you have just entered a minefield" notification to my own disintegration as I'm frantically trying to find my way out of the minefield is way too short.

If I could see tilt-rods sticking up from the ground or some freshly dug earthen mounds, I'd get the point.

Upvote 0
A clever mapper will use subtle hints for map bounds; for example, you could put a destroyed tank in the middle of a road but keep everything past the tank clear. Putting the minefield just past the tank will make the street look very open but still have some point of reference to where the minefield is. Sure players might die once trying to run down that street but everytime after that they will recognize that if they go past the tank they will die.

Big open maps like Orel are much harder because in real life you can drive wherever you want. Putting a big cliff or fence doesn't make sense either because it's unrealistic. However, you can do subtle things like a different ground texture where the minefield starts, or have grass start/end there.

Map edging is quite difficult to say the least. ;)

Upvote 0
Mappers can alter the length of time you have after warning and before becoming dogfood and also the warning interval.

I think that the warning time default settings are generally way too low - a vehicle entering a minefield rarely has enough time to stick it in reverse and get the hell out of Dodge before they go to the big scrapheap in the sky.

Upvote 0
*7GA* Nestor Makhno said:
Mappers can alter the length of time you have after warning and before becoming dogfood and also the warning interval.

I think that the warning time default settings are generally way too low - a vehicle entering a minefield rarely has enough time to stick it in reverse and get the hell out of Dodge before they go to the big scrapheap in the sky.

They Can? Great! I would agree, in general the warning times are too low. A couple of seconds just doesn't cut it. By the time you notice the signs, it is usually too late to turn back in time safely. That is soooo true in a tank.... when you see the sign, you are probably 50 yards into the minefield and no way can you turn in time to go back.

Upvote 0
Default warning is 3 seconds. Much to short if you were at full speed when you entered. I try to use stakes or other visual markers as well to help players figure out how far is too far. In some instances it is very hard but mappers should make efforts to do so.

One other trick is to lay the minefield, and then a couple meters inside the mine volume, place a blocking volume. Your player still enters the minefield, but not very far. They get a boost at stopping and then the minefield timer can be set relatively high, say 15 seconds, which would allow them time enough to get out.

Upvote 0
Slyk said:
Default warning is 3 seconds. Much to short if you were at full speed when you entered. I try to use stakes or other visual markers as well to help players figure out how far is too far. In some instances it is very hard but mappers should make efforts to do so.

One other trick is to lay the minefield, and then a couple meters inside the mine volume, place a blocking volume. Your player still enters the minefield, but not very far. They get a boost at stopping and then the minefield timer can be set relatively high, say 15 seconds, which would allow them time enough to get out.

I think this is probably the best method it also keeps people from using the map edges as an advantage. I use the blocking volumes but Iwill also put in the mines. besides it is so easy to do.

Upvote 0
I maintain that the best method was a method used in a mod map--maybe Dubrovicy?

There, you heard a rifle shot as you wandered off, then another, then you heard a third as you insta-die. It seemed like a very fluid and intuitive way to mark boundaries--largely because it didn't introduce a new uber-weapon, the mine field, that players can't ever place themselves during a round. Everyone has rifles though, and everyone gets shot without seeing the shooter--therefore getting shot by a mysterious rifle seems like an organic part of playing.

Upvote 0
Actually, back in my UO mapping I wanted to try scripting an emplaced MG to cut you down if you wandered out of play or do what the devs did with single-player: drop a mortar on your ass. :) Ended up with neither as the game engine was taxed out on resources enough with my big maps so it was just boring little minefields, but I did have plenty of signs so you had no excuse. The nice audio thing with CoD was a 'click' when you got in there and sometimes you could escape if you were really quick...other times it was "OH F..." and you waited for the 'boom'.

Upvote 0