• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bioshock

I believe it will go into gaming history for much the same reason the original HL did; for telling a fantastic story and for having fantastic graphics (for the time), which in turn completely immerse the gamers in the world. The combat and fighting never seem to be the things that most people remember most fondly about HL, so I doubt it will be for this game. It's mostly the atmosphere a game creates and how well a player is immersed in the game's story.

Upvote 0
So if the game's got such a great story, why is their no explanation as to why the Little Sisters were originally created?

You finished the game that your'e so sure there is none?

Im close to the end and it seems to dwell a lot on this subject, but if there is no explanation after all, allow me to risk one of my own- they are the only source of usable Adam.

I believe it will go into gaming history for much the same reason the original HL did; for telling a fantastic story

HL was fantastic in the way it invented and applied story-telling technices within a shooter, the story itself wasnt that brilliant. When the inevitable movie of the HL series will be made I wouldnt bother- Ive seen this movie 100 times before.
Bioshock's story on the other hand, has depth and originality.

Upvote 0
What are you talking about man, I've never seen a reviewer doing this. Of course with time when there are new and better games coming out the game will be "downgraded".

Eh? Did you mean to quote me?

What I'm trying to understand is why a game which is neither innovative or genre defining gets top marks?
"It looks great and has a great story" isn't enough to give a game top grade, even if it is really good, because (what I've seen so far on PC and Xbox360) is that it is quite simply the same formula as System Shock 2 but with a different story and on a more advanced graphics engine, and the combat side of it is no where near as good as System Shock 2's.
If reviewers gave games 100% every time that happened there'd be 100%'s all over the place.

Upvote 0
Lol. You were doing well right up until the end:

Maschine Pistole-38 said:
Oh well, Halo 3 next month
I was a big Halo fan after the original and I still think it's one of the better console shooters (yes it's generic, but it does it well, something most console fps just don't) but Halo 2 was a let down and I really don't think Halo 3's going to live up to the hype.

Upvote 0
BioShock = bad and Halo = good? Lol.

Spoilers

The game has uninspired gunplay, the plasmids have been done to death in magic games before it. Hell, some of the plasmids are completely useless. Again the weapons feel horrible, the game said you can invent what ever you want; but oh wait its what the game tells you to invent. So yeah throw that gimmick out the window. Also I was always 5 steps ahead of the story, if any competant person picks up the audio dairies they will get the hint that Fontaine is the real bad guy. And come on, it was Fontaine who was Atlas the entire time? Oh no, huge plot twist there! Yeah right, the gameplay is uninspired and the story was uninsipired, the only time I had fun in that entire game was fighting the Big Daddies, since they were the most original things in the game.

I was a big Halo fan after the original and I still think it's one of the better console shooters (yes it's generic, but it does it well, something most console fps just don't) but Halo 2 was a let down and I really don't think Halo 3's going to live up to the hype.

From what ive seen this game was hyped up too, just like HL2. The reviewers are eating it up and so are all the little sheep gamers who listen to the reviewers.

Upvote 0
Help! Im being patronized by a halo fanboi! :rolleyes:

No you see, I made a parallel to Halo and Bioshock. Both are hyped, and an equal amount of people dont enjoy either of them. But the reviews always come back as if they were dipped in aztec gold.

It's also funny how you say I am a fanboy when I just said I am looking forward to the game and the end of September.

Upvote 0
No you see, I made a parallel to Halo and Bioshock. Both are hyped, and an equal amount of people dont enjoy either of them. But the reviews always come back as if they were dipped in aztec gold.

It's also funny how you say I am a fanboy when I just said I am looking forward to the game and the end of September.
Eww, you seriously want to tell me that there are just as many people who don't enjoy Halo(PC) as people that dislike BioShock?

Upvote 0
I hate HALO.

Don't know if that counts...as I hate a lot of things.

Stupid overly hyped game clearly delayed so that MS could have a reason for people to buy the XBox. A great and promising PC game in 1998, a mediocre shooter by the time it struggled out in 2002.
HALO 2 was just the same formula, and HALO 3 looks to be exactly the same deal, which doesn't seem to stop the absurd hype machine once again.

:)

Upvote 0
As for the enemies, I thought the splicers were brilliant. The lines of dialog they had made me truly believe these were other people and not simply generic video game enemies, but their mangled bodies made me realize that something was really wrong. The Big Daddies are also brilliant enemies to fight, taking either real planning to take down or a lot of retries. The morality issues of harvesting or rescuing the Little Sisters didn't really seem like that much of an issue at the beginning of the game, because all I thought was 'Hey! I get more ADAM this way!', but then after the whole Andrew Ryan part, and meeting Tenenbaum, I felt like a horrible person for harvesting them all that time. This is the first time a game has really made me question my morality. Another example is when you meet Cohen at last, I decided, after getting the first prize, to kill the bastard, and only so I could unlock that second case and get more loot. I was basically as greedy as the splicers I was fighting. :(

I loved that part, dude. Honest and well written. :)

Upvote 0
Sigh.

Seriously. Sigh.

It really is funny/sad how reviews completely strip the equilibrium away from otherwise intelligent people.

Random points:

1. Given how Red Orchestra is very much of a niche game, you would think that people in that games forum would think twice before projecting their views on gaming onto the larger world of gamers. We may not actually represent the majority, shocking as that may seem.

2. Being in the minority on something isn't necessarily a virtue.

3. Insisting on certain, specific conditions and behaviors from something as vague and loosely defined as a game review seems to me to be a little, er, optimistic.

4. Aside from the whole argument about Bioshock, it really is possible to give something that is not "perfect" a 10/10. Someone will always find fault in anything so, if we were to be really **** about it, nothing would ever get a 10/10. That would be wrong.

5. Just because something isn't going the way you think it should doesn't mean there's a conspiracy. You just might be wrong. :)

6. Using the terms "sheep", "retarded", or "fanboi" in a conversation that is about something as personal as taste does not reflect well on a person or their intelligence.

Anyway...

Having finished BioShock, I'm not as happy with it. The atmosphere, story, game mechanics, etc aren't, in my opinion, on par with System Shock 2. I still had a great time with it and it does generally put the rounds in the target area, but I'm left wanting a redone System Shock even more than before.

Upvote 0
I'm inclined to agree with Zoring, you can't give a game that isn't perfect 10/10. Yes a review is a matter of opinion but a reviewer is supposed to be fair, 2 sided, objective and not just love the thing to add to the already rampant anticipation.

100% or 10/10 should be attainable if a game is
refreshing and innovative
clever and well designed
well implemented and bug free

And in the case of BioShock not just a re-spin of System Shock 2 using one of the newest and best looking engines on the market for added sparkle.

Upvote 0