• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bioshock

For some reason I get super good fps after "loading a map" because the map hasn't loaded yet. The game will spawn me in the world when it just has the basic models generated. Over the course of a minute or so I'll see more objects start to pop in, the models will start to get skins, specular lighting will be applied, etc. It doesn't bother me that much because the initial "load" takes just a few seconds, but its kinda wierd how the game loads the level right before my eyes.

Yeah, its interesting. The 360 does this aswell... stands out alot in the other UE3 game Gears of War, ya get used to it. :p

Upvote 0
SPOILER AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just finished the game and I don't quite understand the ending. After the little sisters kill Fontaine there's that video where I grab a little sister and kill there, then I get out of rapture with a sub and there are like 300 containers and splicers are jumping out of them all and kill the guys that are searching for survivers and tenenbaum says that i unleashed the secret of fracture to the upper world. Now i don't quite understand why this is? Is it because i always killed the little sisters and took their Adam? Are there different endings? If so, what is/are the other/s?

Upvote 0
MOAR SPOILARZ

The ending is based on whether you choose to rescue of harvest the Little Sisters. From what I can tell, you chose harvesting. If you so much as kill one, the game will give you the "bad" ending; only by saving them (or at least a majority -- some can be left to wander with the Daddies) will you get the good ending. If you want to view the alternative endings, you can find them (if you have the PC Version) under Content/BinkMovies.

Upvote 0
Had a chance to play it yesterday, for starters, it dosen't deserve the rave reviews it's getting, that said it's not a bad game.

Pros:
-Nice graphics, awesome atmosphere
-Great effects, lighting
-Interesting storyline, quirky premise
-Great sound
-Some decent player models
-The magic powers you get are interesting enough
-Simple and intuitive
-Good performance
-Irish guy narrating (after hearing hundreds of American voice overs us -foreginers appreciate these things :D)

Cons:
-Some of the textures are really low quality
-Very consoly, everything glows and shines to let you know exactly what to do
-Combat is a bit too simplistic
-Gun models are pretty bad (Tommy gun in particular is awful)
-First person animations are average
-Awful ragdolls (they all pretty much die with there arms up and there hand waving at you)
-Linear (haven't played entire game but what i have is the same)
-Some of the effects are sub-par compared to others (blood and dust are terrible)

Basically its a pretty game, and as far as console games go, a bit of mindless fun, but nothing particulary innovative or groundbreaking, i'd give it a 8/10

Upvote 0
I have to say this is easily my favorite single-player game of all time. The graphics are incredible, and frankly I don't know what people are saying when they say textures are low-resolution. I think y'all are just picky. :p

The atmosphere is the best I've ever seen in any game, with the plethora of water effects and the 50's styled city underwater. The only, only thing that made me think I wasn't watching an interactive movie was sometimes I would look out a window and it would become fairly obvious that I was looking at a skybox outside the window rather than the actual rest of Rapture. Sometimes I thought the ambiance was so good it was actually downright creepy. The maniacal vending machines scared me every time with that laugh and then the eerie 'welcome to the circus of values!' Freaky ****.

As for the enemies, I thought the splicers were brilliant. The lines of dialog they had made me truly believe these were other people and not simply generic video game enemies, but their mangled bodies made me realize that something was really wrong. The Big Daddies are also brilliant enemies to fight, taking either real planning to take down or a lot of retries. The morality issues of harvesting or rescuing the Little Sisters didn't really seem like that much of an issue at the beginning of the game, because all I thought was 'Hey! I get more ADAM this way!', but then after the whole Andrew Ryan part, and meeting Tenenbaum, I felt like a horrible person for harvesting them all that time. This is the first time a game has really made me question my morality. Another example is when you meet Cohen at last, I decided, after getting the first prize, to kill the bastard, and only so I could unlock that second case and get more loot. I was basically as greedy as the splicers I was fighting. :(

Now there were naturally a few things I didn't like about the game, most of these negativities being about some weapons. I felt that the need to take pictures of the enemies every time you see them simply in order to stand a chance in fighting them was just a silly gaming choice, as every time I met an enemy I had to avoid their attacks while clicking away madly with the camera. It just felt goofy and lame. Also, the chemical thrower was just about the most useless weapon in the bunch. It was only 3 plasmids in weapon form, but it took so long to change ammo types that using the actual plasmids was far easier. The rest of the weapons felt fairly fulfilling, especially the crossbow. The models were also awesome, I loved the way they actually changed the model every time you upgraded your weapons. The attention to detail in this game was just intense.

I'm now officially a raving bioshmuck. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
-Very consoly, everything glows and shines to let you know exactly what to do

I discovered that you can disable that in the Gameplay Options if you should so wish.

Also, the chemical thrower was just about the most useless weapon in the bunch.

I beg to differ. I found it immensely useful against the Big Daddies, for instance, to use the electric gel on them until they got to around 25-50% health, and then finishing them off with either electric buck in the shotgun on Armor Piercing rounds in the MG. I will admit though that I rarely ever used the napalm or liquid nitrogen ammo.

Upvote 0
I'm at the beginning of Neptune's Bounty and I've completely lost the will be play this game any farther. Nice try Irrational, come back with a better product next time.

PS

I guess people just love playing games where the main aim is to set hyperactive plastic puppets on fire and electrocute them. Weird.

To each his own I guess.

Upvote 0
I'm at the beginning of Neptune's Bounty and I've completely lost the will be play this game any farther. Nice try Irrational, come back with a better product next time.

LOL. Yeah, that's why BioShocks average rating is 96. I suppose (and looking at your name) you prefer High-Quality Uber-games like Stalin Subway.

Upvote 0
Don't be too certain. Just because they all say 100% now, don't expect that to last. Reviewers are fickle and only talk a product up until the money stops flowing. Just look at what the big publications say these days about all those "95%+" games from only a year or two ago. If they look back now and say "what were we thinking?" then I shudder to think how it's going to be in another two years.

Upvote 0

PS

I guess people just love playing games where the main aim is to set hyperactive plastic puppets on fire and electrocute them. Weird.

To each his own I guess.

Your only at Neptune's Bounty ? :rolleyes: Why don't you give the game more of a chance.

Upvote 0
Don't be too certain. Just because they all say 100% now, don't expect that to last. Reviewers are fickle and only talk a product up until the money stops flowing. Just look at what the big publications say these days about all those "95%+" games from only a year or two ago. If they look back now and say "what were we thinking?" then I shudder to think how it's going to be in another two years.
Uh, most classic games won't hold up to current games? Game scores fade over time for every game. Guaranteed that a high scoring game like HL2 wouldn't get as high marks today given the competition even from its own expansion.

Upvote 0
I'm going to have to stop posting in this thread, I'm not going to play anything but the demo until there's no securom on the steam version.

Fact is I find it impossible to believe that you can give a game 100% without it being perfect in every way. So you've got all the reviewers giving it 10/10 and then turning round and saying things like "the lack of a death penalty makes combat to easy" or "the combat seems an afterthought", then take back your 10/10 and give it a real score. Not to mention the technical and Securom issues that not a single review mentioned.
Even if it is an after-thought

Upvote 0
I'm going to have to stop posting in this thread, I'm not going to play anything but the demo until there's no securom on the steam version.

Fact is I find it impossible to believe that you can give a game 100% without it being perfect in every way. So you've got all the reviewers giving it 10/10 and then turning round and saying things like "the lack of a death penalty makes combat to easy" or "the combat seems an afterthought", then take back your 10/10 and give it a real score. Not to mention the technical and Securom issues that not a single review mentioned.
Even if it is an after-thought
What are you talking about man, I've never seen a reviewer doing this. Of course with time when there are new and better games coming out the game will be "downgraded".

Upvote 0