• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Berserker nerfed to uselessness

I was watching Zerkers earlier today easily kill them like pre patch.
So, learn to play.
'waits for another post about stuf no u fgt and other lul related pointless crap'

So you have to press to fire, big deal.
I fire like that with my bullpup, 1000 times a match, my mouse still works.
'Oh but your not upclose with mah nerfed down to **** katana and crap'
Come on, seriously. Just go play the game.

It works.

Noone said the katana was made weaker, it was just made pointlessly annoying which just makes no sense whatsoever especially since similar weapons like the knife still have autofire.
Now did you finally get that into your head or do I have to repeat it again?

Considering pistols, that's just the way they work in pretty much any shooter and considering the switchable weapons like the bullpup, well at least you can choose and fyi I never use semi-auto since I have the ability to tap my mouse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know what's been posted in here so far, as I can't be bothered reading through 9 odd pages, but I don't think the Berserker is useless at all. The Berserker + Katana is still a great combo that works. The only problem is the Chainsaw nerf.

Some say the Chainsaw nerf was for "game balance" but I hardly see how there was anything to balance. It also conflicts majorly with the 'realism' aspect of the game. These "ZEDs" have no fear, they don't hesitate, they simply move forward, and if you get a Chainsaw shoved in your neck/face while pressing forward you shouldn't simply be able to shrug it off, the damage should be devastating. I don't even care if it's a Fleshpound, unless it's neck/face is armour plated(is it?) then it should rip his head off.

Upvote 0
I don't really know what else to say. I've said my part. I'm a Zerker on strike until something is done to make the perk have an edge of some sort over the bullet-spam.

For survivability, medic beats it by miles. For damage, you can't beat Sharpshooter. For taking out big specs, Support and Demoman outperform you by miles. And for 'Sweeping' crap closing in on the group, the Commando outshines the Zerker yet again. And those were it's only 2 redeeming features.

I dunno what to do about it exactly (The auto-swing functionality and fixing the chainsaw would be a start, though), but something needs to be done.

Upvote 0
POV movement is far more erratic in Katana melee at point blank range, compared to plunking out 9mm rounds. When you're unloading 15 shots from a 9mm, let's face it, you're attempting to group your shots in a pretty narrow and efficient focus, not erratically flicking the 9mm to foes far apart from each other. And of course, you're usually about 10-30 feet from the enemy.

The Katana-engaged berserker at point blank range has no choice but to quickly flick perspective from foe to foe, high and low, surrounded like he's inside a box and the walls are closing in; as opposed to the ranged attacker who sets himself up to fire into the fray from a distance, like shooting at a painting--headshots available on a linear axis from multiple safe ranges. While we have scenes like the Berzerker attacking a disabled Scrake and nobody is shooting the 4 stalkers and 3 crawlers tearing into the undefended Berzerker's flanks.

It profoundly sucks when you have to peel off the big mob and insta-flick your PoV in four different directions to remove those vermin. Meanwhile, your screen is filled with contact effects from teammates: red bullet streaks, dense smoke, and bright fire fill your perspective at point blank, with some extra bloat bile for sh!ts and giggles. As one's teammates can't resist killing the big scary chainsaw guy, the one that didn't charge at them because their zerker squadmate intercepted it--the same teammate they don't bother protecting from the fodder. The fodder they specialize at killing. Irony.

So you have all this insane PoV flicking around at point blank (you can't be casual about suicidal damage, especially), while simultaneously having to spam-spam-spam the Katana attack? Not a good situation for the user's body or mind. TWI needs to return continuous swinging to this weapon, but re-calibrate the damage, swing rate, or range. And re-visit the chainsaw. It's been weakened to the point where you sustain far too much ancillary damage from not-quite-dead foes still attacking your slow ***, point blank.

I beleive I see what you mean, but it doesnt neccassary mean you have to hold down the attack button.

But for my experience in this situation you have stated. Before I engage the Scrake I analyze the siuation. I determin the specimans who are currently behind it and make a call if I beleive the allies are in position to take them down. If I feel negative about it, I hold off the scrake, I sidestep to change the view of my target removing the scrake out of firing path, I bring out a 9mm and take down the specimans. Once they are dropped or running around like chickens, I move in for the scrake kill. If I cant get any clear shots, or if its a siren I cant dispatch, I simply hold off the scrake until I get the oppitunty. But Mostly small fry like clots I ignore, unless theres a whole bunch of them. Most times you can prevoke a gorefest to start spriting out you, which overtakes the walking scrake. If I am fighting a scrake and gorefests show up or even stalkers, I like rotate the hits, 1 hit on the scrake, 1 to 2 on the gorefest/sirens until (1 corrent hit should drop them) then back to the scrake. But in that situation I analzye a threat level based on current health and type of specimans and how many.

As you see I have it down pat. But then again, I am trained/used to hitting in single strikes, from primary and alt attacks. So it seems natural. Guess if its really that unnatural for the majority.. mmmm you may have a case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I beleive I see what you mean, but it doesnt neccassary mean you have to hold down the attack button.

But for my experience in this situation you have stated. Before I engage the Scrake I analyze the siuation. I determin the specimans who are currently behind it and make a call if I beleive the allies are in position to take them down. If I feel negative about it, I hold off the scrake, I sidestep to change the view of my target removing the scrake out of firing path, I bring out a 9mm and take down the specimans. Once they are dropped or running around like chickens, I move in for the scrake kill. If I cant get any clear shots, or if its a siren I cant dispatch, I simply hold off the scrake until I get the oppitunty. But Mostly small fry like clots I ignore, unless theres a whole bunch of them. Most times you can prevoke a gorefest to start spriting out you, which overtakes the walking scrake. If I am fighting a scrake and gorefests show up or even stalkers, I like rotate the hits, 1 hit on the scrake, 1 to 2 on the gorefest/sirens until (1 corrent hit should drop them) then back to the scrake. But in that situation I analzye a threat level based on current health and type of specimans and how many.

As you see I have it down pat. But then again, I am trained/used to hitting in single strikes, from primary and alt attacks. So it seems natural. Guess if its really that unnatural for the majority.. mmmm you may have a case.
That's exactly what I do :D

Upvote 0

Most folks haven't played Mount and Blade, and are used to holding down for continuous attacks. Heck, I HAVE played it and even I got used to it simply because it's less annoying on the fingers... If I wanna click everytime I kill something, I'll go Support or Sharpshooter. At least they KILL Scrakes and FPs in a one or two clicks instead of half a dozen...

Upvote 0
The removal of the 'holding down for multiple slashes' functionality of the katana was not only completely pointless [as many people have already figured out it pays off to time the attacks more than just swinging madly], but it in fact has come to annoy those who actually enjoyed playing that way. It's been repeated a lot already, but all the other melee weapons work that way, so no reason to have katana be any different. Nor to actually FORCE players to time their attacks. It was fine when it was optional. Those who argue it's only fair that the katana require one click per swing since every other gun has to be fired that way seem to be unable to understand the reason behind why guns pretty much NEED to work that way. In a nutshell, a katana has no ammo limitations, so why even impose a limit on how many swings you can get per click?

And then there's the chainsaw... I'm pretty sure it was conveived as the ultimate melee weapon for this game, which makes the changes it sufferend counterintuitive. It already has a drawback in the form of the slow walking speed it inflicts upon the wielder, which is even more noticeable for a Berserker, who upon harnessing the thing goes from a sprint to a limp. It also has to be "held in position" for it to actually inflict damage, so it's not exactly devoid of the need of proper timing to fully exploit its true potential, either. The only thing it had going for it was the insane amount of CONTINUOUS damage it could deliver over a very short time. Aaand that's exactly what they took away, nonetheless, and added yet another drawback in the form of "headless chicken zeds", who not only do not die from being decapitated, but who will, in fact, keep trying to maul you for a good 2 seconds, which are plenty to reach you and hit you a few times when they should technically be lying on the floor in a bloody mess. What went wrong, TWI?

Either fix Berserker's weapons so it can be a competent perk at higher difficulties/waves, or simply do away with the whole "melee" mechanic. It's just not keeping up with the current escalation of gun damage, to say the least. If this keeps up, they'll have to add a lightsaber with the next patch...

Actually, I'd like to see that... :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0