• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Benefits for staying alive...

Witzig

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2006
Germany
It might be a controversial Idea, but a friend of mine had an interesting idea. Its about giving small Benefits to players who stay alive for a long period. I don't know if there is a way to prevent AFKers to get these Benefits, not that it would make much of a difference imho. Well i'll come to the point.

The Idea was at first only limited to Tanks, here the Idea was to reduce the Reload time of the Main Gun by 1 Second for complete 5 Minutes staying alive (cummultive). Though i'm not sure if that would be too much of a reduction, it would be nice if someone in the know could post the actual Reload Times in the Retail Game, so this could be further elaborated.
This was based upon the minimum reload times of 12 Seconds (Panzer IV) and maximum of 30 Seconds (IS-2), perhaps it would be sensible to cap the maximum Reduction at somewhere between 2 and 4.

It would be possible to introduce similar small benefits to the Infantery Game. Perhaps a small deduction in the distance of maximum swaying...

It shouldn't be a Major Bonus, just little things that enhance the Desire to stay alive...

Well feel free to tear it apart ;) :D

Rewarding by making the game less realistic isn't something I think the devs are too keen of. I do agree that there should be some sort of reward for staying alive as long as it doesn't compromise the realism the devs strive to attain.

Also about people idling, server admins can set an idle time that will kick a person from the server so that's a nonissue

Keep brainstorming though as like I said, there should be more benefits regarding staying with teammates instead of going off and rambo'ing, staying alive the longest, capping the most, etc

Upvote 0
A sort of "veterancy" simulation? Well I think after heaving those heavy shells over and over you'd be doing it slower, not faster. :p

It's just too unrealsitic, sorry.

I would like seeing only kill-death ratio shown on the scoreboard and not your kills or death or no kill/death/kill-death at all. That would make your score the best if you die very little or not at all in comparison to ammount of kills. That would make people want to stay alive.. so they have a 10:1 score(20 kills, 2 deaths) instead of a 3:1 score(30 kills, 15 deaths). I think that'd encourage alot of people not to just rambo.

Upvote 0
Scoobin said:
A ratio idea would be the way to go, but they could still show kills/deaths, just sort the score table by best ratio. Mind you a score column would be needed also to look after the cap-whores. :D
I rather have cap whores then rambos or (serious) campers on my team.
The chance that the cap whores won the match for your team is much bigger then the chance that the camper with 40:1 K/D ratio won it for you.

Upvote 0
Changing anything about the specific "mechanics," the longer you are alive gets a big NONO. However, I think there are ways that you could penalize deaths and reward realistic love of ones life.

Long respawn times: yep, its proven to work pretty well.

Death's column: this will show the WHOLE team how many times a player has died, allowing them to respectfully (or not so) ask them to stop dieing and using more than their fare share of respawns (peer pressure is an excillent way to get stuff done).

People with less deaths respawn "first" ie when reinfs are about to be depeleted the people with the least deaths get to respawn.

One idea which I personally dont like, mainly becuase I dont know how it would affect game play, is to decrease spawn times for less deaths.

The better form of the pervious idea, increase the respawn time for every death accumulated. This way you can still have reasonable "wave" spawn times, and since the players who respawn first will generally be more consious of their team they might even wait for those with longer spawn times, while still allowing them to get back into the action and help their team. Rewarding them for being cautious while penalizing those who arent by putting them in a mini "timeout."

Upvote 0
This was brought up before and the only real solution I can think of is a system similar to what PlanetSide does. All players start with a base time until they respawn after they die. However, if you die very quickly in the span of say, 5 minutes, then your respawn time increases slightly. If you continue to die over and over again this increase will get bigger until the maximum amount is reached. In PlanetSide you start at 5 second respawn and can go up to 25. This rewards players who do not die very often but doesn't completely cripple those that do. Just another small incentive to stay alive.

Upvote 0
The best and most natural solution would be this:

Make the maps bigger so it takes minutes instead of seconds to get to the fight. This way people might not throw themselves to death when they knew that they would have to make an effort to get back to the fight when they die.

Of course most people wouldn't like this system since they want constant action.

This is also the reason why we can't make the reinforcement timer longer either.

But I don't know. The current system what we have in the mod ain't really bad. If someone wants to roleplay he can try to survive the whole round if he wants. I don't really see why we should reward players for staying alive. Everyone has their own playing style and the game shouldn't decide which one is best.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Longer running time is not the answer becuase you and break map balance. You should fix a problem by confining your "fixes" to areas the pretain to the problem.

Therefore, adding time to respwan as deaths go up seems to be a good solution. Clearly, like with anything it would need tweeking.

Yes thats a good idea :) Perhaps starzt out with 10 Seconds, for first Respawn, so the round starts "fast", then going to 15, then 20, afterwards getting +2 Seconds per Death, and capped at 40 Seconds...

Though this would require Respawntimers on a per Player Base, and not Global ones. This would also result in people not spawning in reinforcement Waves.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Longer running time is not the answer becuase you and break map balance. You should fix a problem by confining your "fixes" to areas the pretain to the problem.

Therefore, adding time to respwan as deaths go up seems to be a good solution. Clearly, like with anything it would need tweeking.
...What? Break the map balance? What are you talking about? I can't understand why you think that big maps are automatically unbalanced? Is that what you are saying?

The respawn times can't really be done that way because that would kill the whole idea of reinforcement
waves. People would just spawn all the time and not in packs. Then again, I don't see any big problems that this could bring. Maybe the vehicles would be used by singe man more often and the teamplay would suffer.

Anyway, I don't see why we should specifically reward those people who avoid dying. As I said, if you want to play that way it is your choice.

Upvote 0
I agree with masasa in respect to not wanting to be forced into a certain type of play. Also, what about the situation of say, the L.K. boys spawncamping you... I dont want to be punished for that.

Look deep inside... the benefits you get from staying alive come from your own self-satisfaction, the good feeling you get from not dying during the whole round, or whatever.

aaaaand, if you were to give a tanker faster reload times based on how long they are alive, you'd have dudes hiding for the first half of the round, only to emerge and dominate the whole battlefield.

Upvote 0
REZ said:
aaaaand, if you were to give a tanker faster reload times based on how long they are alive, you'd have dudes hiding for the first half of the round, only to emerge and dominate the whole battlefield.

hm you don't dominate the Battlefield by 3 Seconds less Reload Time, and if you hide for half an round, the Fight might already be lost if you did keep and IS-2 or Tiger occupied...

And i don't need incentive to stay alive, my incentive is that i don't like to go back to the Action all the distance from the Spawn...

Upvote 0