• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are tha' mods saving RO for you?

Linoleum

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2006
Midlands UK
Alot of talk about RO dying in 'ere nowadays! I rarely play RO anymore, maybe once or twice a week at the most, but ive been following the mods since birth, and i gotta say they are all coming on fast and great. I know i will enjoy playing vanilla RO a bit more 'cos when these mods are out they are going to add diversity. I know im going to play Darkest Hour until im sick of it, and same definetly goes for all the other mods (il download em all!) I dont worry cos I know Vanilla RO will feel fresh again, the mods are gonna save it for me!
Are tha' mods saving RO for you?:eek:...

thats all!
cheers n beers.:)

The following is all my own guesswork and in no way reflects anything official.

There is such a thing as a product life cycle. RO has had a fairly extended though rather shallow curve as its product life cycle profile. This relative longevity (in relation to initial marketing outlay) has mostly been due to a great deal of attention given to the community by the team rather than the usual "f*ck them then forget them" approach adopted by more 'professional' companies.

RO does, however, have to compete, with games that make more use of newer technologies and RO has always been a rather 'nichey' product anyway. Comes a point that no amount of warm fuzzies from and to the community are going to make an impact against the overall trend to next-gen (read 'now-gen') graphics etc. etc. that are competing for Joe Gamer's bucks.

Whether they specifically modelled that into their plans or not, Alan, John et al. must have been aware of this coming anyway. Therefore an intelligent but uninformed guess is that, like a duck swimming, there is a hell of a lot of activity going on beneath the surface on getting the next game in place. Money needs to be made - Alan's plastic surgery and John's rifle rack for his Ferrari will not pay for themselves. :D

In the meantime TW probably decided it was time to capitalise on the goodwill generated in the community by encouraging mods as a kind of 'retirement plan' for RO. This pension scheme will gradually come into fruition in the coming months (don't quote me on when).

It's all perfectly natural and all thoroughly reasonable.

No need for 'ZOMG RO is dying' dramatics - it is over the 'hump' of its product life cycle for sure but, so is the VW Beetle, and that is one of my favourite cars.

Upvote 0

There is such a thing as a product life cycle. RO has had a fairly extended though rather shallow curve as its product life cycle profile. This relative longevity (in relation to initial marketing outlay) has mostly been due to a great deal of attention given to the community by the team rather than the usual "f*ck them then forget them" approach adopted by more 'professional' companies.

RO does, however, have to compete, with games that make more use of newer technologies and RO has always been a rather 'nichey' product anyway. Comes a point that no amount of warm fuzzies from and to the community are going to make an impact against the overall trend to next-gen (read 'now-gen') graphics etc. etc. that are competing for Joe Gamer's bucks.

Whether they specifically modelled that into their plans or not, Alan, John et al. must have been aware of this coming anyway. Therefore an intelligent but uninformed guess is that, like a duck swimming, there is a hell of a lot of activity going on beneath the surface on getting the next game in place. Money needs to be made - Alan's plastic surgery and John's rifle rack for his Ferrari will not pay for themselves. :D

In the meantime TW probably decided it was time to capitalise on the goodwill generated in the community by encouraging mods as a kind of 'retirement plan' for RO. This pension scheme will gradually come into fruition in the coming months (don't quote me on when).

No need for 'ZOMG RO is dying' dramatics - it is over the 'hump' of its product life cycle for sure but, so is the VW Beetle, and that is one of my favourite cars.

Amen

Reactions: Nestor Makhno
Upvote 0

Well said. You get this with nearly every game after it's been out for a while, it's like people expect others to play the same game day in day out for the next 5 or more years...I mean seriously, people take breaks, there's only so much RO one can play before it becomes repetitive and the same can be said of most games.

RO has always had a rather small community, the fact of the matter is that the gameplay does not appeal to all, there's nearly always populated servers when I play, I'm guessing those that are claiming RO is dead are simply on at strange hours of the day. There's an old enemy called 'Time Difference' that always seems to cause confusion with some players; not everyone is RO lives in the same country as you! ;)

Upvote 0
Yes, Russian and eastern European servers are well populated these days, and thats where I usually play. Have noticed that many others are gone though. its sad but...

I think RO will live much longer in the east, because of the later release there and because RO is the only game which takes the soviet role in the war seriously. And Carpathian Crosses will definitely be played the day its out :D

I also think that they have already started to develop RO2 or whatever next game they are making. Or maybe the devs spending their cash somewhere in the Caribbean, been real quiet lately? :p

Upvote 0

I thought ramm didn't like ferrari's and that he preferred Lamborghini's :p

Upvote 0

very good post:);) and my uncle had 5 beetles :D i love beetles also but i had a 2cv :p but this is on my desk top http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vwbeetlezk2.jpg

Upvote 0
If you enjoyed the post please show your appreciation by clicking on my reputation icon (the scales kinda thing in the top right).

As the founder member of "The Elitist Prick Club" social group on these forums, I value such meaningless baubles to an insane degree.

It's all part of the forum's move to web 2.0 social networking malarkey. No idea what it all will lead to but want to be there when it does. :)

Just to prove the point I have added to the rep of all people who appreciated my post :D

Upvote 0
If you enjoyed the post please show your appreciation by clicking on my reputation icon (the scales kinda thing in the top right).

As the founder member of "The Elitist Prick Club" social group on these forums, I value such meaningless baubles to an insane degree.

It's all part of the forum's move to web 2.0 social networking malarkey. No idea what it all will lead to but want to be there when it does. :)

Just to prove the point I have added to the rep of all people who appreciated my post :D

Hahahaha! I agree. I have noticed all these fancy new toys that scare me. And people keep sending me "Notifications" that they want to be friends!! HOW Offensive is that!?!?! ;)

Upvote 0
You know I am really looking forward to the mods, but even stock this game is really great. For players like me who have long moved past the ridiculous COD and MOH online crap I find such fun in red orchestra where you actually have to try and win with teamwork.
Nothing else comes close to the RO mode of pushing back or defending objectives and for really realistic combat fans this is the best game to play all the time.
That said I really want to see the Darkest Hour Mod. I want to see a Tiger facing off with some Shermans and fire my M1 Garand:D

Upvote 0