• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An admin's thanks to the helpful vets

Floyd

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Waterproof
www.ro50pc.net
I just want to send out a word of thanks all the helpful and patient veterans of RO2 that have been 'enjoying' the massive influx of new players.

With all of the questions, TK's, and general cluelessness, I know its been somewhat trying for many of you. There have been some stellar veterans that have put aside their frustration and have been providing a helping hand to all of the new players. (I'd call out a few of them, but I'd forget someone and they might get offended.)

We're all anxious to get back into some real RO action, but providing a friendly and helpful environement will go along way to ensuring that we keep a lot of these newer players. Hopefully our efforts will provide us a few more years of superb RO play.

I've heard several new players comment about how helpful the veteran players have been. They, too, are appreciative.

So, again, thanks guys for promoting the RO community.

I must agree here..I have played on the TWB servers all weekend and was impressed by the help many veteran players gave to new guys..Well done and keep it up.

I've been playing on the TWB servers as well (The UK one running Classic mode at least) and while I'm not new in the sense that I did play Ostfront, and a bit of RO2 on launch, I had a massive break, so it is nice to come back and have people actually organising teams and helping out etc.

I added the server to my favourites, so I am just hoping it continues like this :D

Upvote 0
This weekend is more about giving the newbies a good time than the Vet's enjoying some long-awaited action. I found I'd give some guys a break for doing something that easily would have gotten them shot and let them go. Hopefully so none of them rage-quit and tell all their friends how bad it is.

That said, some of these guys a friggan' obnoxious. Starting a vote-kick on a Commander after they walk into dropped Arty is plain stupid. Also the amount of TK's in the beginning of games and during each spawn is ridiculous. For the most part they are good, but I still wonder where some of these guys came from?

Upvote 0
I think I prefer the newbies more than some seasoned players. They are innocent and willing to ask questions to become better. Meanwhile here I am restarting from Rank 0 and had a max rank arrogant "Vet" calling me a noob, and smoking my machine gun position after I accidentally shot him/tked because he was running around behind enemy lines as Commander playing run 'n' gun in classic mode. :rolleyes:

Had some good games though and have seen lots of teamwork with both vets and newbies. Hope this keeps up after the free weekend.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I have been giving a lot of new people advice on how to use the AT class and I'm pretty patient with all the Team-Kills but some of the other veterans have had a huge temper problem. I try to help people as much as I can but some people tend to be rude towards me when I try to offer advice to the new people.

Upvote 0
I've been shot in the back by allied newbs so often this weekend while having a superb position but I took it with a smile, though there were some guys that renamed themselves to something like " I'm a noob" or something like that and shot everyone in the spawn on purpose. I guess they thought everyone would forgive them since they are "noobs". Im just happy that the auto ban after 3 unforgiven teamkills is in place again.

Upvote 0
Indeed. Nobody calls himself "a noob", even if he's fresh to the game and there is difference between deliberate kill and accidental one - everybody will kill someone at some point, even veterans. I did. Even term "newbie" referring to a new players feels too negative, I think. I never separated old and new players, because they're all fellow players.

Upvote 0
Been trying to help some players, and even getting thanked for it which is always nice. There is a lot of praise out there for the game in the servers, people are LOVING it.

I have even been playing Squad Leader myself to help direct other players. I usually just stick to Rifleman.

However, just been thru a few frustrating rounds when several clearly inexperienced players took Team Leader and did absolutely no leading, nor responded to players trying to help. Not refering to one player who clearly was doing his best to try and ask questions.

Upvote 0
I came into RO1 from a free weekend, and what struck me back then, was the warm welcome I got and the maturity of the community. I really hope that all the free-weekend players had the same experience this weekend - I believe they did. Being shot in the back by your team-members is part of the game, when new players join us - we all did it in the beginning (and it still happens to me sometimes).

I actually think that this weekends free-players were pretty good - they were fast learners and I didn't see anybody sabotaging the game in any way. So I really hope, that as many as possible will stay with us.

Upvote 0
it was torture for me personally i cant handle being tk'd repeatedly in a round or suffer a clueless commander without raging inside it makes me give up on humanity, if you cant play commander then dont touch it.

the damage from a tk should reflect on the user like it did on a previous game i played, i think it was counter strike source its been a while since i touched that, so not only does it effect his score but it ruins his gameplay as well as the person hes killed (along with server kick/ban).

Upvote 0
I had one round on Red October Factory where the Russian commander had no kills after about give minutes and we were getting nowhere against Objective A. I asked if he knew how to use artillery, intending to give him some tips, and got the answer "I'm changing class, you take commander as I have no idea what I'm doing".

So I didn't get to give my Artillery 101 after all, but I did get to shell the **** out of the Germans so it came out even in the end. I just hope that next time the chap decides to stick with the role so us vets can help him learn how to use it; you can never have enough good commanders, I think.

Upvote 0
I had a newbie commander on a Red October Factory map too, no kills, obviously struggling, it took a bit of coaching and some hand holding around the game functions etc and a first game loss, but on the end the guy was doing his commander job just fine and we won, so It was worth the initial problems to help him out and he found how good the game can be, I hope he stayed on and got the game. ;)

I think in the end I saw the text say something like " Ahh now I get it, thanks, this is awsome" :D

Upvote 0