• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

American/ Brittish part?

its the russian front so no not for stock RO but mare nostrum and darkest hour mods are adding the british and americans... www.darkesthourgame.com and www.marenostrumgame.com anyway look down in this forum section a little bit and also try the genral mod section ud find that out ;)

p.s. damn ketch beat me to it lol

are these mods going to be available via steam?

Upvote 0
Maybe, but I wouldn't on it because there never has been a mod which was distrbuted via steam so it would be a revolution. Perhaps TWI can make revolution possible if the delivered quality was right.

I dunno how the dev think about giving away their babies

But I think when there will be a release the Mod teams will offer better mirrors than steam ;)

We need a sticky post with that in it http://games.moddb.com/185/red-orchestra-ostfront-41-45/mods/

And yes Aeneas2020 I did :D

Upvote 0
its easy to install the mods just download them (when they are released of course) and extract them to your RO directory and shazaaaam! they appear in your steam games list and will run via steam.

I was told they would be server side a la armored beasts, and from regular RO, you would join a darkest hour server and shazaaaaam be playing the darkest hour mod. And that it was entirely possible that the next map would be vanilla RO. Was I lied to? :(

Upvote 0
I was told they would be server side a la armored beasts, and from regular RO, you would join a darkest hour server and shazaaaaam be playing the darkest hour mod. And that it was entirely possible that the next map would be vanilla RO. Was I lied to? :(

This is true for Carpathian Crosses only at the moment. The other two major mods (DH and MN) will function like Aeneas2020 said.

Upvote 0
At least with Carpathian Crosses it will be possible but the other mods follow a different philosophy afaik (maybe because they think the mod will be played more if it doesn't have to rival with vanilla content).

Getting the files via preload will be a bad idea because you will have to download hundreds of MB so you will have to download it seperatly and install it manually ;)

Upvote 0
Garry's Mod? :rolleyes: Also, what does Carpathian Crosses have to do with British or American forces of WW2? If I remember correctly it's based on the Romanian Army in World War 2?

Yeah but Garry's mod isn't free (anymore :eek:) and its more like a tool (not very big and boring etc) and not like a game and I wanted to get the topic starter away from this "Why there are no Yankkes in dis game?" attitude which is an intersesting aspect of Carpathian Crosses wich makes this mod more unique than any other mode for the WWII (I won't forget you Six Ten ;))

Upvote 0
DH and MN will most likely have to be downloaded and installed sepearately. If you were to get them through RO it would take you about a week even on a fast redirect. Also a lot of the code is different for both these mods so running within RO is hard. Its a pain because clearly we dont want to compete with RO which is an exceptional product but its hard to find an alternative

Upvote 0
DH and MN will most likely have to be downloaded and installed sepearately. If you were to get them through RO it would take you about a week even on a fast redirect. Also a lot of the code is different for both these mods so running within RO is hard.

Yeah, new menus take a lot of code :D
Im really looking forward to the feature announcments of MN and DH.
So far all seems to be kept secret :/

Upvote 0
I'd think the ideal would be to work with TWI to create an "RO Expanded" version of the game (assuming the mods are high enough quality) and thereby allow servers to run expanded maps and content.

The real problem, however, would be where design isn't harmonized. DH will, for example, incorporate AB. Mare Nostrum might not (I don't recall at the moment). CC might or might not. Then there's different versions of similar content. I mean, suppose Mare Nostrum includes a Pz 38(t) and CC includes one. If they're different or are coded to behave differently, that could leave people saying "WTF? It works this way on this map, but a different way on another?" You'd really need to coordinate coding to make it all work together.

Upvote 0
I'd think the ideal would be to work with TWI to create an "RO Expanded" version of the game (assuming the mods are high enough quality) and thereby allow servers to run expanded maps and content.

The real problem, however, would be where design isn't harmonized. DH will, for example, incorporate AB. Mare Nostrum might not (I don't recall at the moment). CC might or might not. Then there's different versions of similar content. I mean, suppose Mare Nostrum includes a Pz 38(t) and CC includes one. If they're different or are coded to behave differently, that could leave people saying "WTF? It works this way on this map, but a different way on another?" You'd really need to coordinate coding to make it all work together.

your right but TWI doesnt have any plans to this affect and trying to get 1 team to work together is hard enough without trying to get all 3 to work together and share content

Upvote 0