• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About RO Ladder Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like quite many here are thinking a competition website could be just kept open and things would roll on nicely.

Unfortunately that is not the case as you have to pay a monthly fee for domain, servers etc. After that you need to do all the shovel work that is needed for running a competition website. RO:ladder searched new staff but interest wasn't high. In the end there was really no admins left whatsoever.

To run a ladder site you need to have passion for the game. Once the passion ceases to exist, there is not much other to do than pull the plug.

Majority of the RO:L haters here were never involved with clan gaming in RO: ost or RO: hos. They aren't aware how essential the site was for clans and clan matches. The haters who knew of RO:ladder are probably first to admit that it was unfortunately the only place for competitive activity. (excluding national competitions in few countries)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The said steam group is called "Give us an effin' answer TWI", just to get that straight. That group is not and has never been related to RO:Ladder in any way.

"Why was the decision made to make very unrealistic and unbalanced weaponry so common?
Why are the class limits so weak that bolt action rifles are rendered obsolete?
Why was the decision made to make equipment that was standard issue during the battle of Stalingrad unlockable? And why, oh why did even deny fire modes?
Did you intentionally neglect the predecessor's fanbase when you made various gamplay related decisions?
Why is "Realistic" mode so half assed? Many very unrealistic features were left in, there is not much of a difference to Relaxed mode other than minimaps and handgun availability."

While I echo many of your sentiments the only answers to the questions, due to their biased nature, is something along the lines of "because we were stupid, because we don't care what you think, because we were wrong".

With that in mind it's not out of line for TWI not to entertain them. I do however feel that the making of such a group could have been avoided by being more open about design choices prior to the release of the game. Even in the public beta people would always say "it will be fixed/included by release" as they didn't know any better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not actually about what the content of the group is about, it's about Mr. Gibson somewho distorting the admittedly quite sarcastic tone of it into a message. Now I don't see that statement anywhere...

Wasn't there also a "I hate Zips" group? Maybe Zips is Ramm's alternative account?

I don't know if it had any affiliation with RO:Ladder, though. I just remember seeing it.

Upvote 0
The said steam group is called "Give us an effin' answer TWI", just to get that straight. That group is not and has never been related to RO:Ladder in any way.

I should hope not, because as you noted, ROL obviously has nothing to do with that group (it sprung up as a result of a thread beeing deleted from this forum, and it comes from this forum and not from ROL), and thus, if that's actually what he is referring to, that's a baseless and tasteless accusation to level at the ROL team.

So i should hope he can pull a better rabbit out of his hat than that one.

Upvote 0
I dont really like RO:L ( same people running it tending to sometimes abuse of their power ) but this is a damn shame that they are going down.

Well with this the competitive community which was close to nothing will disappear for good.
5 months post-release the game is still lacking proper demo system and ROTV will never be there I guess.

It is so sad to witness the waste that RO 2 has turned out to be :(

Reactions: [ITAK]Gr3y_s0ul
Upvote 0
I have to say that whilst I was never active in the clan side of RO:Ost or DH (I only played pub really) I am sad to see this happen.

I don't want to point fingers and I'm sure that neither party is entirely without slants on the matter but I think most of the members here can agree that the way certain members of the TWI team have responded to the community has been often blunt and severely lacking in decorum. Even to the extent that some strawman arguments have been built by the team in relation to certain emotive issues over the months.

Indeed in so much as a games community has ownership of the title we have experienced at least a perceived neglect of what everyone thought RO used to stand for, and should be.

Occasionally, in my opinion, this forum has come down with a bad case "The Emperors New Clothes" syndrome, where most people are aware of the half truths and misrepresentations fed to us before the games release but haven't wanted to talk about it lest we be characterised as haters.

I don't hate the game but I do strongly dislike design decisions which seem to have came from a few members of the team with Ramm being one of the more notable.

Upvote 0
This whole thing makes me sad. I've been playing red orchestra since the launch for the mod and i've been following it ever since i first saw a signature of a developer on the beyondunreal forums. I have played the spiritual predecessors the third reich and (to a lesser extend) infiltration. I have been playing RO on a clan level since i joined {Core} back in 2005. Since i joined {Core} i always kept track of roladder. Roladder was for me always the center and the heart of the community. The place where matches were arranged, the place where teams truely tested their skills. A place where i made friends and created memories. I truely miss the days of old. RO1 was THE game for me partly because of roladder. Without the great clanning scene i would have stopped playing RO after a year or 2.

When RO2 finally started getting close i of course tried to get into the beta. I wanted to help RO2 become a better game than RO1. I wanted the game to be even better when it came to clan gameplay. I was glad i got into the team. I had high hopes. The beta was kinda how i expected in the beginning. Bugs, issues etc but it all seemed so promising. The best moment of the beta was when I, Zetsumei and Ueber were talking about clan features we needed with Ramm. We had a very lengthy conversation and talked about what we thought would be best. What we considered would be better victory conditions. Ramm mentioned a couple things that we had doubt over but in the end also made sense. After this i keep on beta testing till i had to stop being an active beta tester due to summer holidays. For 7 weeks at least i was unable to test.

When i came back i noticed several differences. The gunplay was different. The maps werent as fun but the performance was significantly better. Bugs were still there but not as much. Around this time i felt myself getting less interested but i was ignoring my feeling. I kept on testing and thought WELL YEAH AFTER LAUNCH IT WILL BE FANTASTIC. Then the game launched together with punkbuster and performance dropped. The maps weren't that fun. The gameplay wasnt that fun and the gunplay wasn't. I still decieved myself and tried pushing my clan =IcM= towards playing more matches but eventually reality caught up with me and i stopped doing this. =IcM= quickly fell apart RO2 with some emotion. I am glad i still have at least some contact with a few of them. After all I've played with these friendly farm animals for years. In the course of october i also felt my willingless to play ro public all but disappear. Everything just was not as fun as ro1. I kept track of the community of roladder always hoping that roladder kept on living, that i would finally be able to play the game decently, that the automatics everywhere issue would be fixed. But most importantly that all the features i discussed with ramm and the others would get implemented. Eventually i just stopped caring about ro2 itself and just lamented the loss of the community.
Since the demise of RO2 for me personally i have barely played any games. I barely played anything since october till a couple days ago where i started playing death breath 7 and chtulhu saves the world. Just the loss of RO2 and its community was enough for me to get tired of gaming for a lengthy period of time.

Now i miss the old days. The days were i would sit in ventrillo or teamspeak discussing tictacs. Make animal noises over in game voip. Discuss things with ro community members in roladder. Being an important part of the community where i arranged matches, where my opinion was valued and lastly that my skills as a RO player were regarded as high by a lot. I rarely felt as appreciated as when i announced =IcM= was going inactive by the end of ro1 and i got requests to join other clans right away.

In the end ro also helped me pull through tough times in my life and enhanced the periods in my life where i was doing well. This was all possible due to roladder. Admins consider this my tribute to you. Players consider this my tribute to you and of course the clan leaders.... You made my life a lot more fun and at times more bearable.
RIP roladder.

Wasn't there also a "I hate Zips" group? Maybe Zips is Ramm's alternative account?

I don't know if it had any affiliation with RO:Ladder, though. I just remember seeing it.

well during your short stint with me and the rest of icm we always planned to started playing on roladder.

Upvote 0
Occasionally, in my opinion, this forum has come down with a bad case "The Emperors New Clothes" syndrome, where most people are aware of the half truths and misrepresentations fed to us before the games release but haven't wanted to talk about it lest we be characterised as haters.

"Havent wanted to talk about it"??? That's rich.

Reactions: CrossTrain
Upvote 0
And now you demonstrate exactly why I personally feel trepidation in speaking frankly of the games biggest issues.

I'm not some gleeful cry baby who delights in tearing the game apart. I am a disappointed customer who is holding out for something better.

I also think the customers who bought the game pre-release have an entitlement to be somewhat disaffected owing to the misleading information given to us before release.

Upvote 0
Not at all.

Just those who seem to think there's nothing wrong with RO2 and it's fine that the player-base has fallen on its backside and so why the need to discuss its problems.

There's every need, because in cases of dissatisfaction among the majority, without whine, there's no progress.

True..... but NOT repeatedly, day after day, in new thread upon new thread.....

The nagging and badgering is totally counter-productive.

Now then can we get back on topic?

About RO Ladder Closing

Please?

Upvote 0
I never thought bswearer is a nice guy, always talking much crap and no good player on the other hand but this really prove it!

-[SiN]-bswearer - Geschrieben am February 24, 2012 @ 7:45am
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=75996[/URL]

I find it a bit funny that Ramm won't just tell the truth...the alleged "flaming member of ROL" he refers to is ME. If anyone wants the full story and not this propaganda he's spewing, hit me up on Steam.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.