• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About RO Ladder Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
To say this latest development is entirely Tripwire's fault is absurd.

Unfortunately, you can't run any meaningful competition league in online gaming today without:
- client- side demorec;
- ability to watch demos recorded by players;
- any functional anti-cheating software;
- functional server-settings, which allow you for example to disable aimbot-like machine gunner in a tank or spawning on a teamleader;
- ability to disable stupid timeout feature, with makes any Territory-type match a futile attempt (those who played RO1 matches on Danzig will understand. Sometimes it took 80% of the time to take first 2 objectives, just to win the round in the next 20%)

All of above are developer's responsibility. All of above were mentioned countless times on this forums.

btw. I am personally very sad that this turned out this way, I really hoped to get another real-life-ruining experience with RO2 competitive gaming, where I wolud be more eager to discuss next match tactics with my mates than go to a bar with my RL friends or sth. but unfortunately- so far mine and my teammates' experience with RO2 has been not much more than disappointment and bitterness...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it is sad to see roladder close after how much effort was invested from admins ,devs, moderators, clans and even trolls.

But as TWI stated shortly after the ROHOS release;

ROHOS : Great Success!!
:rolleyes:

In my opinion the biggest problemof ROHOS which overshadows all the rest :

... short-sighted design flaws ...

Upvote 0
They've been working very hard on keeping this sinking ship afloat, and all you ever see is people poking more holes on their way out. To say this latest development is entirely Tripwire's fault is absurd.

I felt the same way ROLadder people are like rats from a sinking ship.

Slap TWI in the face again, then they will work harder!
Are you nuts?
Next week begin beta testing, ROClassic mode can change everything!
I hope that this will happen and playerbase will be happy again.

Upvote 0

Are you nuts?
It's too bad they waited until most of the playerbase left RO2 before announcing big changes. I really doubt, even if RO Classic is a big success, that it brings that many players to RO2. It might bring some, and that's all we can hope for.The damage has been done, the window of big opportunity passed.

Reactions: Zips
Upvote 0

I think we deserve a little more respect for seven years of a free community service. But eventually you will reach a point where the whole work you have to put in is simply not worth the result anymore.

Are you nuts?

If you think that a ROClassic mode will solve the "issue" then you have no clue what the real problem is.

We still have: bad performance, no demos, no ROTV, culling issues (players pop-up in the middle of the screen suddenly), broken spectator mode, no linux servers (yes, very important for many people; windows boxes just cost more), PB screens are still not working as expected, the FOV still can't be adjusted properly (play with 75 on 27" display in front of you), etc. Just to name a few that came into my mind.

Saying we were involved into the development "from the early stage" on is simply not the truth. We had some influence on how the tie-breaking is done, we had a wishlist (which is mostly not implemented) and that's it.

The real problem is that the game focus is rather the public player audience than the competitive teams. That's something that can't be fixed with a Classi mode by now.

Also: The past five months virtually nothing happened to the state of the game, except some bug fixing.

Upvote 0
The paranoid delusional ROL leaders are unhappy for whatever reason, and now they want everyone else to be unhappy too. Misery loves company. Selfish pricks. TWI do listen, they had set aside money for an ROL tourney aswell, and they are still working hard on this game as we speak. They haven't abandoned us by any stretch of the imagination.

Upvote 0
Considering how long it's been since release and how few major updates there have been, I understand the frustration of ROL. But, I have to wonder, for the sake of the community, why not wait just a little longer to see if the new mode(s) make any difference? This just further ensures the game won't pick up. Despite all its faults, RO2 is still by far the best "alternative" first person shooter on the market. I hate to see any hope of it becoming strong again diminished prematurely.

Reactions: M55ikael
Upvote 0
If you think that a ROClassic mode will solve the "issue" then you have no clue what the real problem is.

We still have: bad performance, no demos, no ROTV, culling issues (players pop-up in the middle of the screen suddenly), broken spectator mode, no linux servers (yes, very important for many people; windows boxes just cost more), PB screens are still not working as expected, the FOV still can't be adjusted properly (play with 75 on 27" display in front of you), etc. Just to name a few that came into my mind.

Saying we were involved into the development "from the early stage" on is simply not the truth. We had some influence on how the tie-breaking is done, we had a wishlist (which is mostly not implemented) and that's it.

The real problem is that the game focus is rather the public player audience than the competitive teams. That's something that can't be fixed with a Classi mode by now.

Also: The past five months virtually nothing happened to the state of the game, except some bug fixing.

They have to priorities their workload..If the game isn't right on public theres no point bothering with comp play, because you won't have clans with active communities and servers. Sure some things are missing for comp play but it will come once other stuff is sorted. TBH, its probably not the right time to do comp leagues now for money, should just do friendly style leagues and then build up to more serious ladders when the game is in a better state to support it. Demo rec/ anti cheat/ spectator functionallity is important but there are a lot more than just those things to change with the game

Upvote 0
The paranoid delusional ROL leaders are unhappy for whatever reason, and now they want everyone else to be unhappy too. Misery loves company. Selfish pricks. TWI do listen, they had set aside money for an ROL tourney aswell, and they are still working hard on this game as we speak. They haven't abandoned us by any stretch of the imagination.
EXACTLY! I gave you +1, cuz people on these forums will give negative rep to any supporters of TWI. Everyone says that they were betrayed by TWI, deserted, ignored, blah blah. Everyone is selfish. They think that since TWI is a smaller company, they can just boss them around.

You pricks are lucky that TWI is even responding to all this dumb complaining. They already said they were sorry and are working on fixing the game, so quit all ur b****ing :rolleyes:

I never knew ROL, or anyone in it, but to me, it sounds like they are just butt-hurt because TWI supported Scorched Earth and not them. If Ramm is telling the truth in saying that the ROL leaders just ignored him, then why r all u so mad? TWI didn't make this happen, stubborn drama queen leaders did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's too bad they waited until most of the playerbase left RO2 before announcing big changes. I really doubt, even if RO Classic is a big success, that it brings that many players to RO2. It might bring some, and that's all we can hope for.The damage has been done, the window of big opportunity passed.

There's some 20-20 hindsight if I ever saw it.

I'm sure huge announcements for game-altering changes were at the top of Tripwires' to-do lists days and weeks after release.

Among all the other gripes people are having with the game they also now have to answer cries from players who are so disgruntled that they can't even enjoy the core game anymore. So lets pile on all the other unfinished launch business (random performance problems, inadequate FOV settings, whatever) with people who now threaten to leave if the core game isn't changed to suit them.

And yet, not once has Tripwire flat out refused to change. They are trying their best to make everyone happy with the game. But that isn't enough for some people, as we see with this statement from RO Ladder.

Upvote 0
I think we deserve a little more respect for seven years of a free community service. But eventually you will reach a point where the whole work you have to put in is simply not worth the result anymore.

Free community service?
I was thinking you work on it for your and community fun!
The way how you said "good bye" was wrong.
I don't care that you don't like RO2 anymore, but please do not ruin what left because there are still people who like this game and have fun!

You are not deserve respect sir...

I don't know yet, but it will be fun to try ROClassic.
I have to say that I know the game inside out and even at this stage there is no competition for RO2.
This is why Im still here and I give TWI my credit of trust.

I have those "errors" you don't have them anymore!

The funniest thing is that moment when something starts to happen (RoClassic, new maps) you shoot TWI in the back.

This is very sad!

Upvote 0
I'm not going to comment about the politics since i'm not 100% clear about it. However i will say that, when SE was announced it just felt like one giant "**** You" towards RO:L.

The last thing keeping RO2 on my hard-drive is gone, guess what, i just cleared 8GB of bugs from my C drive :)

Dedicated to Ramm:

get a haircut and get a real job - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not going to comment about the politics since i'm not 100% clear about it. However i will say that, when SE was announced it just felt like one giant "**** You" towards RO:L.

The last thing keeping RO2 on my hard-drive is gone, guess what, i just cleared 8GB form my C drive :)

Are you happy Mr. ueber?
Mission accomplished?

Upvote 0
The reason that RO:ladder closed is not because they are trying to get back at the developers for not being chosen to host the Scorched Earth tournament. The reason that RO:ladder closed is not even because of the various bugs or missing features: RO:ladder already announced at the released that it would be delaying its opening competition to wait for the necessary features. The ultimate cause of its downfall was the plain and simple fact that people just aren't playing the game.

Arguing over implemented features and sponsored tournaments as well as pointing fingers at lying and selfish admins/developers/etc is pointless. RO:ladder closed because there are too few RO2 players; anything else was merely a catalyst.

Upvote 0
Clearly almost everyone walks into this thread with a preconceived opinion. Because of such, no one's opinion really matters.

Anyone who wants to say ROLadder always complained to TWI and always insisted and demanded and whined are completely wrong.

In the early days of RO2, RO ladder urged its members to reach out to any and all gaming forums and such, essentially advertising for the game. My question to all who defend TWI so wholeheartedly now, is that not a sign of good faith in TWI?

I know that over the years of RO, I've always told friends about it, it was the only series I recommended.

RO thrived on tight community support, a lot of which was provided by ROLadder. At some point it would've been beneficial for TWI to reach out, visibly, to the ladder rather than claiming to be open to it. There's a big difference between the two. It's hard work but hey, it's work. TWI made it a big focus to reach out to the mainstream and it didn't work, quite frankly I see the resources spent on that as wasted. They also tried to the best of the resources available to please to core fanbase and largely failed there too. I guess it's a lesson that if you try to please everybody, you'll please nobody. I know sales will be brought up, game is a success it just doesn't feel like it.

At the end of the day, as much as it sucks for developers, we're consumers. If we don't get what we want we'll be ticked. Being mad that a lot of the community is dissatisfied isn't going to help. Ignore it if it helps but I've always felt that developers responding to stuff like this never helps, no matter how eloquently stated.

Upvote 0
The reason that RO:ladder closed is not because they are trying to get back at the developers for not being chosen to host the Scorched Earth tournament. The reason that RO:ladder closed is not even because of the various bugs or missing features: RO:ladder already announced at the released that it would be delaying its opening competition to wait for the necessary features. The ultimate cause of its downfall was the plain and simple fact that people just aren't playing the game.

Arguing over implemented features and sponsored tournaments as well as pointing fingers at lying and selfish admins/developers/etc is pointless. RO:ladder closed because there are too few RO2 players; anything else was merely a catalyst.

+1

Even games that have poor competitive support will still have healthy competitive communities as long as the game itself is popular.

I wish they didnt close it though. There is still some small hope in the future with ROclassic and perhaps Rising storm or incountry.

Upvote 0
You are not deserve respect sir...

No, you don't deserve any respect with your useless defensive fanboy posts devoid of any solid argument. Seriously you come here in Jan 2011 and then tell one of the most respectable members of the community he deserves no respect?

Do you have any idea how hard these people worked for the community? These guys dedicated their whole years to the community coding mutators that fixed the bugs TWI couldn't be bothered with, coded a website from scratch in their free time and even made an awesome mod(Carpathian Crosses). I'm pretty sure you also have no idea what ROLadder was or what that meant to the community.

So please, please ignore this thread and keep worshipping TWI in other threads.

You have a great "target audience" gathered here TWI! I'm afraid you'll never get that "RO Forums Classic!!1111" back again.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.