• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A question about KF

Rulero

Apr 7, 2009
Holland
Since i started my pc gaming carreer, im a fan of the old school shooter genre, mainly the gamplay type from arround 94 till 98 like the Doom and build engine games, and the first Unreal. what i love about it, is when brute force is brought to the screen with a large arsenal of weapons and a fast pace.

Shooters have evolved in the past years and the run and gun niche genre has become a bit rare nowadays. A reason for this is that games are more story focused, and that todays technology opens the way to more advanced gameplay mechanics. wich is logic. Still there where some fun shooters like Serious sam, Quake IV and Painkiller to satisfy this need and for the multiplayer part i have Unreal Tournament 3

now recently i came across killing floor because a friend of mine, a veteran on this forum ,who went out for two weeks :p asked me to keep him in touch about the second tripwire title. I played ut2k4 a lot but never knew of the existence of KF, so i watched some trailers from the old mod versions. took a look at some screenshots. readed some press releases
and what i can make up of it is, that this game might be something i waited for a long time. The gunplay looks very old school, also the atmosphere reminds me of the old days. I know the game is not mindless running and that co-op is a vital part of the game. Im curious about how the game plays. mostly if it plays like i describe or that it is the total opposite. i hope someone can clear this up for me.

Thanks in advance

KF is pretty flexible in that it can be played freeform. You can either take your time, stick with your buddies and win/get the best experience, or you can go all Rambo and have a hoot (not advisable really, seeing as your team mates would get cheesed off, plus you probably wouldn't survive long anyway).

Best thing to do is try it for yourself. The last public mod release is 2.5. Give it a shot and see how it feels/plays. ;)

Upvote 0
i'l gues i give 2.5 a try
i know left 4 dead is more run and gun but what it lacks is weaponry and levels are too restrict in terms of multiplayer replayability, but thats my opinion, even if monsters are placed randomly.
I just love the open maps idea and the bit of character development that KF has. is KF is single player a good way to try things out? or do i need to go online instantly.

thanks

Upvote 0
My own line has been to play SP just to get an idea of what motivated TW to take KF under its wing, (I vaguely remember Sabu or maybe Ramm asking "hey any you guys played the KF mod"?)
That was a good while ago, maybe a couple of years already.

I wait for the retail release with anticipated breath...
GG...

Upvote 0
My own line has been to play SP just to get an idea of what motivated TW to take KF under its wing, (I vaguely remember Sabu or maybe Ramm asking "hey any you guys played the KF mod"?)
That was a good while ago, maybe a couple of years already.

I wait for the retail release with anticipated breath...
GG...

Whilst that most certainly will give you a basic understanding of the game, it will undermine the basic thing for which KF was engineered- co op gameplay, as was (with the exclusion of Invasion) unseen on 2K4.
And you will miss the fun of "damn, elevator (your only escape route) is still downstairs... which chiprit forgot to call it?"

Upvote 0
I expect it will be fairly powerful. But if you think of the pro's and cons like with any cool, close range weapon, comes a need to getting close to enemies. With some enemies, it's best to keep your distance. Take for example the bloat (he spews on you if you get too close) and the siren (who will bite/scream your head off if you get too cuddly with her).

I'm sure things will be well balanced come release.

Upvote 0
I don't really know how the chainsaw acted in the mod, since it wasn't in the later versions and I never used it in the earlier versions. This one has been redone from scratch and is quite a bit different than the mod's. It is definitely a beast, but its also very expensive. And its not that effective against certain Zeds (like the bloat), unless you have the higher level berserker perks. Nothing like mowing through a wave of clots watching limbs flying everywhere ;)

Upvote 0
I don't really know how the chainsaw acted in the mod, since it wasn't in the later versions and I never used it in the earlier versions. This one has been redone from scratch and is quite a bit different than the mod's. It is definitely a beast, but its also very expensive. And its not that effective against certain Zeds (like the bloat), unless you have the higher level berserker perks. Nothing like mowing through a wave of clots watching limbs flying everywhere ;)

How will it stand up vs FPs and Scrakes? Going melee with them means you will take tremendous damage, but really expensive weapons should even hold their own in higher waves.

Upvote 0
How will it stand up vs FPs and Scrakes? Going melee with them means you will take tremendous damage, but really expensive weapons should even hold their own in higher waves.

Your going to have to have a high level berserker perk to have a chance against a FP or Scrake using the chainsaw. Its best against low-mid level Zeds out of the box.

Upvote 0
Your going to have to have a high level berserker perk to have a chance against a FP or Scrake using the chainsaw. Its best against low-mid level Zeds out of the box.
Ah. So for someone who whores the knife fulltime in 2.5 will surely get a high enough perk pretty quick to grind any specimen to dust with the chainsaw:D?

Also, in the mod you somehow get less points for melee kills than for gun kills. Is this reversed in the retail? Since melee is a lot more dangerous and should be rewarded accordingly ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0