• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 A Message For TWI

Skyrilla

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2012
The Shatcave
[Copy pasted my thread from the Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 Multiplayer discussions page on Steam at the suggestion of fellow players.]

The recent testing for S&D was a farce. It was just me and my friend on the last day with little to zero people throughout the whole week. Can't say I'm surprised. Mr. Yoshiro. I quite like the game, and would hate to see the already small playerbase die out completely. I urge the head of TWI to motivate his team to enhance Multiplayer Campaign and release some maps with transport vehicle support to breathe some new life into Territory.

Fresh, new content and continuous optimization and bug fixing is what this game needs if it wishes to make it past 2014, rather than introducing dead-on-arrival game modes and not even bothering with removing Firefight, enhance Realism or at least make Classic mode a lot more appealing to the veterans.

Push the war's timeline ahead by a year. Now that's something different. Am I sensing fear for climbing out of the comfort zone resulting in arrested development? S&D will turn into another Firefight, e.g.: ''This sure is fun and innovative!'' Said no one ever.

[Follow up]

Welp, I'm glad people seem to agree. I do genuinely worry for the fate of this game that still has a lot of potential, but only seems to come short oweing to developers that do not seem to be wanting or daring to do more. And if they are, at least show us clear signs for big things to come some time soon. It's almost as if they lost all will to be assertive after a shoddy start. Pick up your feet!

[Forum addition]

I understand that things often ''simply take time'' and ''work'' to accomplish but it's been quite a while now and at this point, the game should've surpassed its image stricken since release. That comfort zone. People need to get out of it. Not just diddle daddle with the little things, even though details make up the big picture. It's thinking ahead, being one step ahead, willing to just cut the knot and do what is essentially best for a franchise. These are my thoughts, and there are people who seem to agree. So I find comfort in that. Some may argue with whatever conservative arguments they may have, or others will simply conform and suffice with what they're given. It's in the numbers.

The numbers will tell you that things are not looking too bright. Having a (ever slowly declining) niche player base, does not necessarilly mean the product is progressing and maintaining fresh appeal and not just leaving it up to a handful of community modders to ''just deal with it'' and occasionally pick out a map or two once in a blue moon. YOU invested into this, as did WE. It's up to ALL of us to make it as big as it deserves to be. Show us a roadmap for this year.

Sorry for the long text. I guess I am just passionate, and speak for all those who wish to simply see more, and see this rough gem shine brighter.

-Alena

Last edited:
I first thought this thread was copy and pasted from 2011. If I may summarize your complaint...

You want fresh new content from TWI but you are upset that they have taken the S & D gametype and made it officially supported?

Since you seem so passionate about this I assume you did a few forum searches and found numerous IDENTICAL threads such as yours going back 2+years complaining about lack of transports and "new" content. I also assume you have DL' d the countless custom maps that are available and that you frequent the serevers that have them in their rotations. I will even go out on a limb and assume you have tried the IOMutator as well as it has provided an amazing new layer and edge to this game. Maybe I misread it but your post comes across as uninformed and contradictory.

Transport thread: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=96629

Community Vehicles: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=83586

IOM: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=92324

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would have been testing S & D if it had been active at a different time. The beta-testing times are just hugely inconvenient for the North American working man. Hopefully the stock patch will be out soon and we can all try the new mode at any time of day. The concept is sound, and I could see it being very fun. I'm sure there will lots more people playing then.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Upvote 0
1) Transports are on the way, they will be joining the beta in the near future when they are feature complete. We'll be testing them on three maps that they have been added to with the community.
2) During all scheduled tests we had around 32 players which was good for testing the S&D mode.
3) We did not run the test on Friday because we had something else come up so no event was scheduled and nothing went out to the masses telling them to join the server.

Upvote 0
I got one day in that I just happened to be off work (it was a Tuesday...but was it last week? I think... I don't know I've drank and slept since then...) The server for the active hour of the test had a good crowd of 20+ and the game mode was solid and fun. S&D is a proven game mode and fits the niche audience of RO2 more than I think most of them even realize. It's better than Countdown in almost every way, it's more team and tactical oriented than Firefight, and unlike Territory it's extremely friendly to low player counts so it doesn't need bots or a packed 64 slot server to be fun.

Also, mind you that bringing this game mode to RO2 was a project started by a few members of this very community, so your little rant and that "DOA game mode" comment is quite disrespectful to them and their work. I'm proud to see its official inclusion into the game, though to be honest, I think it should have been there since Day 1.

Upvote 0
"hey lets Play this awesome Action mode"

said no roplayer ever... :D

LOL

I so agree. Really makes me wonder why when TWI does a sale weekend etc that they don't just set up Classic and Realism servers. Instead, all we ever see is TWI Official servers running Action mode. How the hell are players going to get a feel for the game with that?

And don't spew that BS that "we have to ease the new players into Red Orchestra because its hard." Did it ever occur to anyone that is why they may be trying the game? :p

Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

It's always the same pattern. A junior or new member who is totally unaware of any historic dialogue here. So they blurt out every disappointment that comes to mind as though no such assertions have ever been presented here before, and that TWI just desperately needs hear these again for the 2743rd time. Well, at least they stop in.

Upvote 0
I would have been testing S & D if it had been active at a different time. The beta-testing times are just hugely inconvenient for the North American working man. Hopefully the stock patch will be out soon and we can all try the new mode at any time of day. The concept is sound, and I could see it being very fun. I'm sure there will lots more people playing then.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

That is also a very good point. The time zones make it inconvenient, however, it shouldn't really be THE reason as to why no one's attended this and the previous beta testing. Not to rub it in or anything, I just think it's unfortunate and a clear message.

I first thought this thread was copy and pasted from 2011. If I may summarize your complaint...

Since you seem so passionate about this I assume you did a few forum searches and found numerous IDENTICAL threads such as yours going back 2+years complaining about lack of transports and "new" content. I also assume you have DL' d the countless custom maps that are available and that you frequent the serevers that have them in their rotations. I will even go out on a limb and assume you have tried the IOMutator as well as it has provided an amazing new layer and edge to this game. Maybe I misread it but your post comes across as uninformed and contradictory.

You hit the nail on the head. 2011 and two years.

Two years.

Two. Years.

I'll also assume you didn't read in between the lines and took careful notice of the message regarding modders.

If you are passionate I'm sure you've learnt how to use the SDK/editor etc. Look forward to seeing your content in the next few days..

It's not about me. But thanks for uh. I don't know. Something.

It's always the same pattern. A junior or new member who is totally unaware of any historic dialogue here. So they blurt out every disappointment that comes to mind as though no such assertions have ever been presented here before, and that TWI just desperately needs hear these again for the 2743rd time. Well, at least they stop in.

Don't even know where to begin. I've been lurking the forums ever since the game came to fruition, and have been playing since the beginning. It's always the same pattern. Oldies brush off complaints and suffice with what they have. Got'cha there.

Also, mind you that bringing this game mode to RO2 was a project started by a few members of this very community, so your little rant and that "DOA game mode" comment is quite disrespectful to them and their work. I'm proud to see its official inclusion into the game, though to be honest, I think it should have been there since Day 1.

Not trying to be disrespectful, oh revered senior member. Just being a realist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1) Transports are on the way, they will be joining the beta in the near future when they are feature complete. We'll be testing them on three maps that they have been added to with the community.
2) During all scheduled tests we had around 32 players which was good for testing the S&D mode.
3) We did not run the test on Friday because we had something else come up so no event was scheduled and nothing went out to the masses telling them to join the server.

Hi Mr. Yoshiro. That's real fine and all, and I'm stoked! But I knew this was going to happen. I'm not saying that it wouldn't have ever gotten here. We know it's ''on the way''. I'm saying that it might be too little, too late. But I'm rooting and still positive that it will boost the player base and garner fresh interest and maybe make way for some less new players as opposed to some of the more aggressive people I've seen around here. But hey. I'm ''just a junior''. ;)

The point of my ''rant'', was simply to make way for another voice, so that the amount of voices will continue to amass. A sign of concern. This is a thing that some of the more ah, shall we say, embittered posters seem to miss, and carefully nitpick the points they deem necessary for their argument. It's not just about the vehicles that people have been talking about years ago, or a lack of fundamental changes or improvements that have taken some time to perform.

Simply brushing off the matter of a declining player base and saying that Red Orchestra ''is not a game for everyone'' does not and SHOULD not justify it. There are reasons. Either way, I'm glad that people have responded, to give us an idea of certain people's mindsets and priorities.

Anyhoo... this is still one of my favorite games, and I'll keep playing with my little group of friends until the day I die. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Its good to see new players voice their opinions, good or bad. It lets all of us and TWI know those things are a concern for NEW'ish players that are attracted to the game as well as many of us others.

Upvote 0
I don't know about that Yoshiro, when I joined the S&D event, there was only a max of 3 other people ever. Most of the time it was only one other person. I don't really know about the prospects of S&D either, isn't countdown already sort of like S&D? The only time I actually see people playing countdown is when they are trying to level up weapons.

But anyways.

It's good to hear that transports are being worked on though, but I'd like to see those new maps the community made to be added to the play lists for servers. I only got to play koruba and otori shima a couple times and it would be great if those new maps were there to supplement Rising Storm. There really isn't enough diversity in maps for Rising Storm and I think that has something to do with the lack of people playing it on the campaign servers.

Upvote 0
It's good to hear that transports are being worked on though, but I'd like to see those new maps the community made to be added to the play lists for servers. I only got to play koruba and otori shima a couple times and it would be great if those new maps were there to supplement Rising Storm. There really isn't enough diversity in maps for Rising Storm and I think that has something to do with the lack of people playing it on the campaign servers.

The new maps are gonna be added in the next patch as well as supposedly the halftracks.

Upvote 0
"revered senior member"?

Hmmm...I like the sound of that, can I get Revered added to the front of my forum title below my name?

I don't really know about the prospects of S&D either, isn't countdown already sort of like S&D? The only time I actually see people playing countdown is when they are trying to level up weapons.
S&D is similar to Countdown in that you get one life per [territory/round] although in S&D there is no ability to spawn any extra reinforcements whatsoever. You also have two teams spawning in closer proximity than Territory, and once the objective is taken, or all members of a team are dead, then the round is over. The pacing is very similar, but you don't progress through the map like you do in Countdown or Territory, you just play one small part of it for several rounds (depending on server settings you may or may not switch sides after a certain number of rounds).

The big difference between CD and S&D is the objective itself. Where in CD it is an area to be captured like in TE, in S&D it is something significant to the defending side's war effort (like a radio, ammo cache, aa gun, etc) that must be destroyed by the attackers. For the attackers to destroy it they get one bomb (it starts out on the ground in front of the spawn at the beginning of the round) that one player must pick up and carry to the objective, set, and the attackers must defend the bomb until it explodes. Bomb carriers may die and another attacker has to pick up the bomb from there and carry on. Defenders of course must stop the bomb from getting planted in the first place, or diffuse it if it does get planted before the big boom. Every map has 2 objectives that can be destroyed each round, but the attackers need to only destroy 1 to win, so defenders must divide themselves accordingly and be able to adjust on the fly.

I think...if memory serves correctly... that there was at least discussion that larger servers (64 slot) would have 3 or more objectives in larger playable areas and multiple bombs from the start. But that may have been dropped during development.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How come Tripwire didn't learn from Killing Floor when it comes to Red Orchestra 2? Whats been keeping Killing Floor alive is the regular updates and the holiday events(and i'm not saying santa hat events for Red Orchestra 2). I mean comparing the new content made for Killing Floor to any Red Orchestra game is just sick content wise(how many new guns and new characters have Killing Floor got since it's release compared to what Red Orchestra ever got?).

The sick thing is that i paid more money for the Red Orchestra games than i paid for Killing Floor so i would have expected some more content for the game by now.

Lets just hope Tripwire will treat their other games in the future with the same passion as they have done with Killing Floor.

Upvote 0