• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A lesson for all of us

pomp

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2006
Perhaps this is a few weeks/months too late, but below is an excellent read as to how we should conduct ourselves on these forums and just everywhere overall. People who play realism or action should not be treated as some kind of 2nd class gamer.

Thank You.
(Just replace instances with Arma2 with Ro2)

Taken from:
http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14753

Rocket's Facts of Life
No more "Go back to L4D" comments

I happen to really like L4D. When I was based in Singapore, I played it every weekend before going out clubbing. I had a blast. Was it what I wanted? No! But it was still fun. You could almost say L4D and Dead Island inspired this mod. So please, I appreciate the sentiment and I realize I at times have made "**** off back to WoW" comments, but we've probably reached saturation point with them, where they have become a cliche.

There are no CoD Kiddies

We are all CoD kidddies. CoD was a good game. Maybe you were so hip that you didn't buy it. But I don't think there is anything specifically wrong with it, I just don't think every game needs to be like it. Hence I am working on this. But again, it's become a cliche here. Lets try and think of something else to say and think a bit deeper before labeling people as CoD Kiddies.

ArmA2 Hipsters... deal with it

This bothers me, a lot. For years we have been lamenting the lack of attention that ArmA and BIS get, and how the focus is always on CoD. The minute it happens, some people get all precious. Some have embraced it, but others - quite frankly - have made me embarrassed to be part of that community.

The build is ****ed

Yes, we know. The build is always ****ed. If it is not ****ed, then I haven't pushed hard enough in this update. If I **** a build in Beta then you can rage all you want, but if you rage now and tell me I burned your $30 I'm just going to roll my eyes and google for meme's. This is what hotfixes are for, I do the hotfixes until the build is where I wanted it to be. Then we test it. If we like it, we keep it, if not, we revert. That's how it has worked and that is why we are here where we are.

What you say matters

I get a lot of inspiration from the forums. Huge amounts. I dedicate about 6 hours a day to reading not just these forums, but neogaf, facepunch, project reality, 4chan, reddit, tkc, unknowncheats, you name it. I read because I want to engage with you and get a feeling of the emotions running through people and how they see things, rightly or wrongly.

There is only one vision

Having said that, I'm mindful that there is only one compass which can help me keep track of the direction - and that is my own internal one. So while my inspiration comes from you guys, the decisions come from me. Some of the best elements of the mod so far, have been ones that every single person I talked to told me was a bad idea. Please keep that in mind. Have a little faith in the process.

Don't eat each other alive

Many of the discussions go like this:
Man1: "I hate this new feature"
Man2: "I love this new feature"
Man1: "You're such a fanboy"
Man2: "You're a CoD Kiddie, go back to WoW"
Man1: "**** you"
Man2: "I hope you get cancer"

Really? Really? I mean, is that necessary? I troll, I make sarcastic remarks, but the way you guys treat each other is far worse. Chill out a bit and try and have some decent discussions. There has been some great ones, so lets all try and keep a level head (myself included).

Last edited:
Wow, really? Coming on these forums telling us what to do?

Seriously though these forums are fine. There's really no hostility here and it's a fairly quiet place with the same old folks. Occasionally someone comes and rants here (but EVERY SINGLE FORUM ON THE INTERNET IS LIKE THAT), but this place really is not nasty in the slightest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
Wow, really? Coming on these forums telling us what to do?

Seriously though these forums are fine. There's really no hostility here and it's a fairly quiet place with the same old folks. Occasionally someone comes and rants here (but EVERY SINGLE FORUM ON THE INTERNET IS LIKE THAT), but this place really is not nasty in the slightest.

I few months ago these forums gave me cancer, the TWI hating and bile coming out of some people made me want to punch a kitten. Nowadays its almost too quiet...

I guess people are happy now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
Who's treating realism and action players as second-class, I'd like to know?

Fortunately, the furor seems to have died down. Let's keep it that way.

This forum is an awesome community much of the time, really. We have our historians, our rivet-counters, our firearms affectionados, our modders, our computer whizzes, the devs, and our everyday enthusiastic RO2 players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well intentioned and a month or two ago I would support this thread 100%, however like the previous poster noted,
You do know that summing up rules for people to follow as a non-authorative figure probably achieves the reverse of the psychological effect which you think you are achieving.
I will be watching this thread. Note to everyone: Don't make it explode please. Keep it civil

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I get a lot of inspiration from the forums. Huge amounts. I dedicate about 6 hours a day to reading not just these forums, but neogaf, facepunch, project reality, 4chan, reddit, tkc, unknowncheats, you name it. I read because I want to engage with you and get a feeling of the emotions running through people and how they see things, rightly or wrongly.
I lol'd.
I could only wish for six hours free hours a day. Much less to use them to draw upon the inspiration of people posting on teh internets.....:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
One thing that really rustles my jimmies is the ''CoD kid" argument. I played the **** out of the original CoD back when the game was brand spanking new. Carentan, Pavlov and Ship for example were amazing maps where you could actually see teamwork and tactics applied. I haven't even shaked a stick at the CoD MW series, so I'm just guessing that's were the hate is coming from :D

All I'm saying is: I was, and am still, a CoD kid. And proud of it!

Upvote 0
One thing that really rustles my jimmies is the ''CoD kid" argument. I played the **** out of the original CoD back when the game was brand spanking new. Carentan, Pavlov and Ship for example were amazing maps where you could actually see teamwork and tactics applied. I haven't even shaked a stick at the CoD MW series, so I'm just guessing that's were the hate is coming from :D

All I'm saying is: I was, and am still, a CoD kid. And proud of it!

"cod kid" for me only applies to mw2 and later, most of the prior titles were pretty good (i didn't like cod2 though, all weapons felt too similar). i was in a quite successful cod1 clan back in the day, at one point we were in the esl top10 :). i think it was because our map was rocket, everybody hated rocket! :p definitely good times and great teamplay. but mw2 and later just suck imo.

i'm a retired cod vet, and proud of it! :D

Upvote 0
What surprises me is how respectless people can be when it comes to posting on these boards. I understand their reasons, but only thing that hateful, zealous posts (insulting another forum member) can do is damaging the integrity of the community as a whole.

I was in a guild once. I didn't fully agree with the Guildmaster there, so at some point I left. But before that I explained my reasons to the officer present (via whispers) and thanked people (on the guild chat) for wonderful time I had with them. They were good people, I spent some good time RPing with them. They really don't deserve to see someone's personal problem. Not that they'd care or remember that for long. There was simply no need for making things public.

It was Guildmaster's guild, he has the right to run it how he envisioned it. It was his effort put in it. I didn't like his methods (and that was personal, subjective thing), but I could at least respect him and the people who worked/played with him.

You simply don't spit into someone's soup before leaving his home.

I don't mind thick skin, people being blunt and all that. I can work with it as long as their target arguments, not people. It's the thick skulls that bother me - people who come, write toxic things thinking they can, because they have right to free speech. What they seem to forget is that insulting the other people is forbidden.

People seem to not understand meaning of being "civil", "mature" and how to "behave".

Honestly, the only way to make the community grow and make it better is to follow simple rules. First of them is to respect another person and her/his opinions, even if you disagree with that opinion.

You know why I try to be a good person? Because I treat others how I'd like to be treated. Because in doing otherwise lies destruction and complete annihilation all the man can achieve.

If you really care for the game (or for anything), you don't respond with hate and lack of respect to another human being just because you don't agree fully with each other.

Upvote 0
I've always thought it was pretty casual around here.
A few edgy characters floating about but that's normal.

re this: We are all CoD kidddies. CoD was a good game. Maybe you were so hip that you didn't buy it. A bit insulting to suggest that not buying COD was born out of some kind of self-righteous style decision ("too hip"), no? How is that little jibe in keeping with the conciliatory tone of the rest of the OP?

For the record I never played COD... not cos I was hip, but just because I was into strategy and flight sims only until I stumbled on RO1, purely by recommendation form another guy I flight simmed with....

Upvote 0