• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

19,000 players right now!

Yes, gold medal for KF!

I think the highest so far was close to 25 000 years ago?

Still i have myself many times thought about what it is that many players do not appreciate so most players leave after a while?

I think mainly about two things:

1. too hard ( fps-players not used to KF-gameplay....which is not a spray-and-pray-game )

2. getting kicked too often ( a noob must understand to start on low difficulty and level up and not rage for being kicked??? )

I think a simple way of avoiding many to desert is to inform about such matter and other matters as well. They must know before playing, so they are prepared and do not rage too often at different situations, because then they will have a better understanding. There should be a "READ FIRST!"-context in main menu.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it's great! More players means a longer life span for this game. Unfortunately, in the cess pool that is the steam forums there is a ton of threads whining about them, and possibly turning new players away.

Either way, I welcome the new guys, and hope they stick around :D

Is why there should be a "READ FIRST"-context in main menu explaining the gameplay as to prepare newbies to the harsch reality!

With better information, there will also be a better understanding...so a newbie won

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think a simple way of avoiding many to desert is to inform about such matter and other matters as well. They must know before playing, so they are prepared and do not rage too often at different situations, because then they will have a better understanding. There should be a "READ FIRST!"-context in main menu.

It would be much better if TWI would change the server browser to start out at easy or medium difficulty so they don't get instagibbed by a gorefast swarm in hard and up. They'll have a larger margin of error, and will eventually learn game mechanics such as:

• Headshots = good
  • Offperk weapons = dumb idea
  • Big scary enemies = we got to nuke dis yo
  • Dual 9mm = why should I do this when I get get dualie deagles???
If they learn these mechanics, maybe they'll stay attached to KF and decide to try out harder difficulties and learn new mechanics, either by teammates yelling at them to not do "x" or delve into metagaming.

There should be no reason for a "read first" context, as that's in the region of a user error, not a game error. People who pick up a game and treat it like an exact same replica just because it has first-person elements with guns will fail, regardless of the games being compared. Someone who picks up Quake then decides to play Ghost Recon is going to get smashed, pillaged, and all sorts of ghastly verbs applied to them if they treat it like the fast-paced arena shooter UT is. Someone who plays Halo extensively then decides to play Call of Duty will get creamed if they stay in the mindset that power weapons = map control. Lets switch genres. Skyrim is an action RPG. So is Dark Souls. In Skyrim, you can fight a dragon naked and probably win the outcome with a bag full of potions. In Dark Souls, you can't do that. You will die. Horribly. Then die some more. Horribly.

To simplify that congested paragraph, the player should be well aware that there's different sub-genres and should readjust accordingly to those sub-genres. I'm not saying a tutorial is a bad idea, but a wall of text is not going to flick the retard switch off. If they're gonna jump in and die like an idiot. Whatever. If they continue to act like retards and harass people, then they get ostracized from the community. TWI gets their money for more delicious addon packs and the community becomes a bit of a better place.

Upvote 0
It would be much better if TWI would change the server browser to start out at easy or medium difficulty so they don't get instagibbed by a gorefast swarm in hard and up. They'll have a larger margin of error, and will eventually learn game mechanics such as:
Yes, they should. They should require at least completion of 1 level on each low difficulty to move onto the next.

• Headshots = good
  • Offperk weapons = dumb idea X
  • Big scary enemies = we got to nuke dis yo X
  • Dual 9mm = why should I do this when I get get dualie deagles??? X
When used properly, many weapons are amazing off perk.
You don't need to gang up on big enemies, you just have to execute proper class roles to get rid of them.
Dual 9mm's is 2x the death of a single 9mm, you're a total badass with them.

If they learn these mechanics, maybe they'll stay attached to KF and decide to try out harder difficulties and learn new mechanics, either by teammates yelling at them to not do "x" or delve into metagaming.
Most people quit KF because its not the pro noscope shooter that most FPS games today are. KF requires a much different knowledge base than a standard FPS. People go in with huge CoD / TF2 egos, but get kicked in the butt by the door on the way out.

There should be no reason for a "read first" context, as that's in the region of a user error, not a game error.

To simplify that congested paragraph, the player should be well aware that there's different sub-genres and should readjust accordingly to those sub-genres. I'm not saying a tutorial is a bad idea, but a wall of text is not going to flick the retard switch off.
No, its not. But better in game / loading screen tips might really help. I'm almost certain integration of scary ghosts shop mutator for sub menus will help greatly as well.

Upvote 0
Yes, they should. They should require at least completion of 1 level on each low difficulty to move onto the next.
Methinks easy mode should be excluded from that. Easy in KF is probably the most laughable difficulty I've ever played in a game, as it seems like gorefasts weild foam swords, sirens sing slightly annoying lullabies with magnetic properties, and FP's are like a big guy backhanding you with all of the hate and rage of this community with a new weapon pack. Except those hands are pillows. I feel like easy isn't something to get a proper gauge on the intensity of the game. Otherwise, I can agree with that line of thought.

When used properly, many weapons are amazing off perk.
I should have been more clear on that, my apologies. I understand things like lever action/flare gun is essential for any zerker, fireax/hunting shotty demo, mando with Scar/AK/demo offperk weapon, ect. What I wanted to point out is the common sharpshooter-with-a-M4 build, commando-with-a-lever-action build, or the you're-a-level-3-sharp-why-the-****-are-you-using-a-AK build. I understand people lack intuition or any sort of basic perception, but one would think if you really want to use a M4 or a Bullpop, you might want to switch to commando to receive the bonuses for said rifle in question.
You don't need to gang up on big enemies, you just have to execute proper class roles to get rid of them.
You know as well as I do that will never happen in a pub game. Ever.

Dual 9mm's is 2x the death of a single 9mm, you're a total badass with them.
But then the east/west bug happens. WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW!?
Most people quit KF because its not the pro noscope shooter that most FPS games today are. KF requires a much different knowledge base than a standard FPS. People go in with huge CoD / TF2 egos, but get kicked in the butt by the door on the way out.
Well, can't say I'm sorry for them if they don't want to adapt.

I'm almost certain integration of scary ghosts shop mutator for sub menus will help greatly as well.
I hate to be that guy, but the lack of connecting simple pictures (shotgun has a ammo bandoleer picture next to it? EEZ FUR COMANDOOR
derp.gif
) dents any form of faith I have in people considering that their perk has their own weapon set. I'd still like the sub menus, but I don't think it will help much, if at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Doesn't the sharpshooter gain Headshot bonuses from offperk-weapons too? (Not as much as on-perk, but as a Sharpie, I find myself being able to decap-kill clots with a nice hard swing.)

To me, that means that sharpshooters can also benefit from using commando weapons, by trading the stopping power needed to take down bigger ZEDs with the rapid-fire capability of rifles. It might even be a better strategy for the earlier waves when there are only trash to deal with, provided you have a commando willing to spare you their weapons.

Upvote 0
Doesn't the sharpshooter gain Headshot bonuses from offperk-weapons too? (Not as much as on-perk, but as a Sharpie, I find myself being able to decap-kill clots with a nice hard swing.)

To me, that means that sharpshooters can also benefit from using commando weapons, by trading the stopping power needed to take down bigger ZEDs with the rapid-fire capability of rifles. It might even be a better strategy for the earlier waves when there are only trash to deal with, provided you have a commando willing to spare you their weapons.

Yeah, you get bonus on all weapons except melee weapons. I use to run Scar and M14, great loadout specially for trash. The only bad thing is scrakes. If it has been flinched or puked on you will have to kill it from a distance.

Upvote 0