• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Using the M14

Elliot

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 30, 2010
I don't get how I'm supposed to use this gun. It may be my graphics card, but I can never see the red dot at all ( it's extremely hard to see and impossible to see down range ). The ironsights are horrible, and I'm better off using a lever rifle. Any tips? thanks

If your graphical settings are too low, you cant see the dot. Im not sure which particular setting it is, but you could try tweaking them until the dot is visible.

And yeah I agree the iron sight is horrible for a sharpshooter weapon. But then again it doesnt seem like SS weapon in the first place, with the high rate of fire and no need for actual aiming (meaning you are better off with hipshots than trying to aim down the sights)

Upvote 0
And yeah I agree the iron sight is horrible for a sharpshooter weapon. But then again it doesnt seem like SS weapon in the first place....

this is probably why i've never really used it, (i don't play SS either really) - it seems more like it should be powerful commando weapon.

Indeed, there seems to be 2 kinds of SS for this reason, a genuine xbow one picking shots and a glorified commando - which tends to render the commando class somewhat redundant itself...

I guess i'll tried it out properly when i've levelled everything else and finally get on to SS, in my short experience i didn't like the red dot or irons sights so i agree with the hip-shooting - which seems a bizzare thing for an SS to do.

Upvote 0
The M14 is a nice backup for the superior-in-every-way LAR.

No time to reload? Switch to the weapon of choice for spamshootards until there's a lull in the action.

The M14 can actually be used well if you've got enough hours on the LAR and you're willing to put up with the sights; which i actually like >:3

I still prefer the LAR, HC or Xbow over the M14. Even the 9mm is more appealing. Though i'll put this down to the fact i've come to hate the sound of the M14 and i've made a mental connection between the sound and bad playing.

Upvote 0
I agree that the gun almost tries to get you to spam with it by making it hard to actually shoot accurately along with it's high RoF. That and it's laser-dot pretty much make me wonder what TWI was thinking when they made it for SS.

Don't get me wrong, this is an awesome game and I love every other thing they've done with it so far. But in my opinion the M14 was the biggest mistake TWI ever made on Killing Floor.

Upvote 0
I agree that the gun almost tries to get you to spam with it by making it hard to actually shoot accurately along with it's high RoF. That and it's laser-dot pretty much make me wonder what TWI was thinking when they made it for SS.

I know right?
It's really un-fixable since it goes against everything the sharpshooter should stand for.
At least it's not that infuriating super duper lasergun anymore.

Upvote 0
I know right?
It's really un-fixable since it goes against everything the sharpshooter should stand for.

They would have been better off moving the M14 to commando, giving him a powerful rifle with lower rate of fire than the scar but slightly higher damage (without any headshot bonuses too).

SS would still have pistol, handcannons, LAR and crossbow so why not. And this way we would also free a slot for a possible REAL sniper rifle with a proper scope. :p

Upvote 0
They would have been better off moving the M14 to commando, giving him a powerful rifle with lower rate of fire than the scar but slightly higher damage (without any headshot bonuses too).
P
agreed, what i was saying a few posts up
SS would still have pistol, handcannons, LAR and crossbow so why not. And this way we would also free a slot for a possible REAL sniper rifle with a proper scope. :p

LE L42a1 or AI L96...thou at the kind of ranges typical on a KF map...

Upvote 0

Yes, why don't they just replace the m14 with something else and call it a day?
I guess we both know that isn't going to happen.
The m14 is here to stay and won't be moved to another perk.

Upvote 0
I know right?

Something I posted about in another thread (sorry for quoting myself :eek:)

I think it would have been much easier to balance the M14 for Commando. Just lower damage and reload time and it becomes great versus smaller zeds and weak versus large ones.

That's the problem: It's basic game design that fast firing weapons need to be weaker then slow ones to preserves balance. A full-auto will always be weaker (in a non-realistic game) then a semi-auto, which will be weaker then a bolt-action.

This is because the more quickly a weapon fires, the easier it is to target multiple enemies in a short time (crowd control). Hence, a quick-firing weapon by default leans more toward anti-crowd capability, while a slow-firing one leans toward anti-single spike damage.

Another property of a quickly firing weapon is that it can stack massive damage on a target extremely quickly quickly if your aim is true for each shot. This is why quick weapons cannot also be capable of spike damage with single shots (like a headshot bonus).

Hence, the addition of a quick-firing weapon (that also takes advantage of headshot bonuses) to the anti-single spike damage perk was illogical from the start, and figuring out how to balance it I'm sure has felt like fitting a square peg in a round hole for many of us.

Simply put, the M14 for Sharpshooter makes about as much sense as a high-ammo, quick-reload shot-musket would make for Support. On a realism standpoint you'd say "Yeah that'd make sense for the shotgun user", but from a gameplay standpoint it'd be absolutely horrible. Yes, I know muskets aren't quick-loading, but humor me as I couldn't think of a shotgun that is possible to carry a lot of ammo for and reload quickly.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll try Enabling Projectors.....

i certainly found that helped when trying to get 'dot of doom'

..speaking of which, to get this achievement are you allowed to break off from using the m14 to another weapon - say if you're overrun - and then switch back and continue making headshots?
Or do you have to make 25 consecutive m14 headshot kills?

Upvote 0
The M14 is a nice backup for the superior-in-every-way LAR.

No time to reload? Switch to the weapon of choice for spamshootards until there's a lull in the action.

The M14 can actually be used well if you've got enough hours on the LAR and you're willing to put up with the sights; which i actually like >:3

I still prefer the LAR, HC or Xbow over the M14. Even the 9mm is more appealing. Though i'll put this down to the fact i've come to hate the sound of the M14 and i've made a mental connection between the sound and bad playing.

You've never seen a M14 inthe hand of a good player then.

Upvote 0