• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation KF New Specimen : The Brute (under construction)

ok, Ive made some progress in understanding how these models work.

Ive deleted my custom rig and imported the model into the Killing Floor player model that you get when installing SDK. It exports without any warnings now, since im using the skin/skin wrap TWI uses. Now its just scaling the bones to fit my model and we are good to go. It has the animations of a "player" model right now, so I need to adjust this. After the animations are done its time to put weight to the bones to fit the model.

This whole process would be easier if I had like the Bloat rig, cous my model is almost equal in size, and has the same weight to the bones. Also the question of ragdolls came up, since I don't know if the 3ds max model of TWI has this implemented or that the engine provides this.

The final problem in the whole process is the amount of poly's and vert's, and if this is isnt too much for the KF engine. (I got arround 10,000/15,000 and the cop player model has 7,000/9,000...given the fact that my model is twice the size of a player this should be right yes?)

so to sum it up :

1] Create low poly model of custom zombie----(succes)
2] Export test with Actor X-------------------(succes)

3] Scale bones of KF model-------------------(processing)
4] Adjust weight of bones--------------------(waiting)
5] Adjust animations-------------------------(waiting)
6] Export with Actor X------------------------(waiting)
7] Import Unreal Editor-----------------------(waiting)
8] Create .mut------------------------------ (waiting)

I hope I can get some feedback from TWI for these things. It would be nice if they got me the bloat rig, it would make things a bit easier.

Reactions: EricFong
Upvote 0
1] Create low poly model of custom zombie----(SUCCES)
2] Export test with Actor X-------------------(SUCCES)
3] Scale bones of KF model-------------------(SUCCES)
4] Adjust weight of bones--------------------(semi SUCCES)
5] Adjust animations-------------------------(temp using animations of the bloat)
6] Export with Actor X------------------------(SUCCES)
7] Import Unreal Editor-----------------------(tonight)
8] Create .mut------------------------------ (waiting)

Im still screwing with the envelopes of the bloat rig, and our first test with the model is on its way. Its looking good, though a painfull process it has been.

Upvote 0
Its in the engine, and walking arround. Though the skintexture needs to be adjusted we also need to adjust some bonework.

It seems the engine crashes after you make the model explode. This could be because we deleted some bones we didnt need like the jawbone/2 bones in the ***/2 bones on the backflaps/bone on the belly.

Can someone shed some light on this? (I get the feeling it has to do with the model beeing cut in half, or the ragdoll mode)

Im going to re-enter the bones Ive deleted, and well try again tonight.

Upvote 0
Its in the engine, and walking arround. Though the skintexture needs to be adjusted we also need to adjust some bonework.

It seems the engine crashes after you make the model explode. This could be because we deleted some bones we didnt need like the jawbone/2 bones in the ***/2 bones on the backflaps/bone on the belly.

Can someone shed some light on this? (I get the feeling it has to do with the model beeing cut in half, or the ragdoll mode)

thanks hemi

also im going to look more into the model scripts

can anyone tell me which file i need to edit to declare a new specimen? TWI?

Upvote 0

jeej hemi

also im going to look more into the model scripts

can anyone tell me which file i need to edit to declare a new specimen? TWI?

Upvote 0
After that its finetuning the model, and get it its own animations.

Might I add that we figured how to do this in a weeks time, so people...IT CAN BE DONE! lol. I want to stress this point cous I see almost 0 people here making new ZEDs for the game, while the Unreal modding community is huge. So for the people thinking about doing this, but also saying to themselves "im not gonna do this, its too much work".....just try it, its really not that hard. Once you get going, its fun to see your progress in the game, and youll be making weird stuff in no time.

Upvote 0
Great news Hemi! :) Especially now that TWI encourages the creation of custom content'; which, if they find suitable will add to the game itself. Just like the Mac10. :)

The MAC10 was not community made, Yoshiro cleared that up in another thread

my advise to people

the KF modding community isnt that big so finding tutorials is quite hard, but this game uses the UT3 engine which is in many games - so search for modding tutorials for UT3 instead of killing floor
This game uses the Unreal 2.5 engine, NOT the UT3 engine, please do not use any tutorials for UT3 as you are going to get mighty confused when half of what you do, does not work!

Reactions: arramus
Upvote 0
The MAC10 was not community made, Yoshiro cleared that up in another thread

I'm sorry for my confusion.:confused: I stand corrected.

This game uses the Unreal 2.5 engine, NOT the UT3 engine, please do not use any tutorials for UT3 as you are going to get mighty confused when half of what you do, does not work!

Maybe he meant UnrealEd 3 which is used for Unreal Engine 2.0/2.5; which confuses a lot of people.;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not me so far. And please, don't tell me I'll get this problem sooner or later :eek:
I really worked hard on skeleton and almost finnished it, almost fixed bones, and now you say it might not even work as I'll get error because of the version I use!? Am I forced to buy older version!? O_O

well I dont want to get you alarmed but it did occur after a while. I think it has to do with the "plate" the model is on. It refers to some files TWI used to make the model (lib's and stuff for animations). Or it could be that I removed digits on the hands...I have no idea. Anyway, im back to modelling with the imported PSK file of the bloat, and doing this the hard way. The rig is not perfect, but it will do.

Just continue m8, and if anything goes wrong post it here. Ill try to help.

Upvote 0