• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How will tank maps play out?

Primalrib

Oct 18, 2010
With the introduction of full blown tank maps how will things like spawn rates and infantry play out on these maps?

Previous vehicle games I've played like Battlefield 2 have almost instant respawn of vehicles. IMO this is a bad thing as it encourages players to just go in and all out without worry of a fresh tank waiting for them.

I hope the devs go with how the Project reality mod for BF:2 did it and have at least a 5 min respawn on vehicles. This will at least get more infantry on the field to complicate things for both sides and encourage more tactical game play with the limited tanks available.

With the introduction of full blown tank maps how will things like spawn rates and infantry play out on these maps?

Previous vehicle games I've played like Battlefield 2 have almost instant respawn of vehicles. IMO this is a bad thing as it encourages players to just go in and all out without worry of a fresh tank waiting for them.

I hope the devs go with how the Project reality mod for BF:2 did it and have at least a 5 min respawn on vehicles. This will at least get more infantry on the field to complicate things for both sides and encourage more tactical game play with the limited tanks available.
Hiya Prima
For A Tank only Map (and I think there is only 1 at this point) Tank re-spawn would be the same as Infantry respawn)...I.e whatever the server allows for

Upvote 0
Five minutes is too much. You have to remember about the duration of the maps of each game. The average time for a map to end in RO is 20min, while in PR it's 2h (without time limit). For that reason it's perfect to have a respawn gap of 5min for slow paced games like PR or Arma, but RO has a totally different pace and we would only have tank crewmen screwing around and playing as regular infantry as they wait for their tank if they implemented such thing.

In RO we have to die to change our class, while in PR we can simply request a kit from ammo caches being a regular rifleman and suddenly learn to fly a plane. RO is RO and it's perfect that way, with the perfect balance between realism and gameplay, of course a few minor realistic improvements wouldn't hurt, but your suggestion is too much. I don't like Arma much and I really don't want to see my favourite multiplayer game end like that.

Damn, I think I sound a bit rude :D

Reactions: Nicholas
Upvote 0
As the game is shipping with two tanks (I believe) I doubt we will see dedicated tank maps for a while.

what bobdog said......at PAX when i asked Alan if there were plans for a "blackday july" map for RO2, i was expecting a "cannot comment" response.....but then he willingly confirmed there was an armour only map in the works....went from :D to :eek: to :IS2:

seeing as there'll only be two tanks at the start and this map will be included in the release, it really will be interesting to see how that will play out. potentially 32 t34/76s vs. 32 pIVs......hey, at least it'd be a completely balanced matchup between the weapons

Reactions: Miro! and slavek
Upvote 0
On a full server, with everybody TT'ing and sides balanced that would give something like an 8 vs 8 tank battle.

On the same full sever, if tanks are locked (1 man 1 tank) that opens up 32/32 tank battles :eek:.

I am really interested to see how this aspect of the game will work out.

TT'ing is the only way to go.
@ Zets , no...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On a full server, with everybody TT'ing and sides balanced that would give something like an 8 vs 8 tank battle.

On the same full sever, if tanks are locked (1 man 1 tank) that opens up 32/32 tank battles :eek:.

I am really interested to see how this aspect of the game will work out.

TT'ing is the only way to go.
@ Zets , no...

Those are the two extremes. Honestly, we'll likely see something in between. For one thing, on a tank map (compared to combined arms), the MGer isn't really that useful. I would likely team tank with 2 people in the tank, with the driver able to switch to hull MG when necessary. That makes it a 16 v 16 match which is still pretty amazing.

And I think your math is a bit off. From what I understand, the tanks will only hold 3 players, so that's 10 x 3 person tanks (30 players), plus 1 x 2 person tank (2 more, totaling 32 per team). So that's an 11 v 11 battle.

Upvote 0
I guess in premiere day there will one huge tank map with two tanks only (located on west side of campaign map). After some time, TWI release that update about what they have been saying all time with new vehicles and upgrade tank map with new light tanks. Beside that they release new maps with troop transporters too. I'm wondering what's about with new maps, will they be added to current campaign somehow or there will be new campaign map?

Upvote 0
Was it not said that the Axis tank had 4 playable slots (5 man crew)?
And yep, extreme, I'm concerned about the AI tanking ability...

I had asked on the forums about that, but Ramm's been pretty consistent that you'll have 3 players for the 4 crewable positions + 1 bot loader.

I'm expecting the gunner & commander are handled by the same player in German tanks, as in ROOST.

I wonder how that will be modeled. Imagine the commander gets killed, while the gunner is OK. Does that mean the player in a team tanked tank dies and goes to the re-spawn queue, or does he become the gunner pulling double duty?

Upvote 0
So who would actually be firing the main gun, the gunner or the commander? And who really would be doing the aiming? And can they physically traverse the turret while loading a shell?

I'm curious, because (for example) if the gunner is the one who loads, aims, and fires the gun then there should be limitations on how much can be done at the same time... thus giving an advantage to the tank with a larger crew, Germans in this case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So who would actually be firing the main gun, the gunner or the commander? And who really would be doing the aiming? And can they physically traverse the turret while loading a shell?

I'm curious, because (for example) if the gunner is the one who loads, aims, and fires the gun then there should be limitations on how much can be done at the same time... thus giving an advantage to the tank with a larger crew, Germans in this case.

No, the loader is an "AI" bot. So he'll do all the loading. I'd imagine you don't have to physically move from gunner to commander, but instaswitch between the two, like you would if single tanking and going between driver and MGer.

I doubt they'd model it to this extent, but loading would be slower with the T-34 while traversing the turret, due to the lack of a turret basket, I believe.

Upvote 0