• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Perk order for Noobs

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It is hard to level compared to the other perks.
Actually, it didn't take me longer to level than say, Support. KF-survival makes it so easy to get stalkers i don't even know how it's still whitelisted.

Sure commando would take a long time if you didn't use the tools you could easily download,(the map) But with the tools it's just as easy as any other perk. You can get 50 stalkers in 5 minutes. And it really isn't that mind numbingly boring, so i don't see why people don't do it and just complain "ooooh commando is sooooo haaaaard!!"

Frankly, i think medic is the most time consuming perk to level.(if you are actually playing as it, not just healing teammates in trader time as another perk) Simply because you need a team of bad players who get hit a lot to even rack up points faster.

Upvote 0
I think the commando complaints come from the fact that levelling commando is so much easier to obviously cockblock, accidentally or intentionally, than the other perks.

Support, berserker and demo all level from damage done, so it doesn't matter that much if someone else shoots at any particular zed you're shooting at. (Well, it matters a bit more for berserker, but most people are considerate enough to leave plenty of crawlers for them to deal with. -_-)

Firebugs suffer killsteals all the time, but if you're doing your job then things will be burning to death long before anyone else is able to reach them. And they also level by damage done.

Sharpshooters level with headshot kills against any target, and their weapons have the best range which gives them the option to target any head they can see, so having any particular zed taken out from under you is generally no more than a second's wasted time.

Medics will run into morons who'll heal themselves right in front of you, but these guys tend to be AWOL for most of the game anyway.

Between all the times you're defending against an attack, panicking about being surrounded and shooting anything that sounds threatening, blowing up a large group of mixed zeds, and aiming for something else entirely when one gets in your line of fire, the only reliable way to be able to avoid mowing down stalkers right in front of your team's commando is to be one yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Duke_
Upvote 0
Its not really hard, it just takes a lot more time in comparison to other perks.
Time is the biggest factor in leveling any perk in this game. None of the perks are "hard" to level. Just point your gun and start shooting. Poof, like magic you'll eventually get to Level 6. Commando, however, is "hard" in the sense that you have to specifically kill a certain specimen. It isn't just a matter of pointing your gun and shooting, because if you aren't shooting the right specimens, then you'll never get to Level 1 even when you've managed to get 5.5 million damage done.

The only perk that's comparable is Support with it's welding points needed, but those are very easy to farm-up (especially if you're willing to leave the game sit over-night while your mouse button is weighed down). Otherwise every perk is just point, shoot, level. Well okay, Medic is "heal teammates", so that's a little different than the others. But without getting into any detail, let me just point-out that I very rarely play the Medic perk, yet it's about half-way to Rank 6, and currently my second-most progressed perk. So... yeah.

I think the commando complaints come from the fact that levelling commando is so much easier to obviously cockblock, accidentally or intentionally, than the other perks.
Pretty much this. For no other perk have I felt obligated to carry an off-perk weapon in order to grind-up progress for it. Only for Commando do I feel inclined to carry a AK47 or Bullpup as an off-hander when there's room available (especially as Medic or Berserker).

Upvote 0
Yeah commando isn't that bad if you play with cool people. Just find one guy to work with who says, "Yeah man I'll save those stalkers any time I can" and you'll make huge advancements of just a single 10 round game.

In that regard it's not much (if any) harder than the others. If you just head out to public games though it can suck.

With this in mind I always carried a bullpup as a secondary regardless of perk. One or two here and there adds up.

On a happy note: I just got my Mr. Perky last night!. Woot.

Upvote 0
Yeah commando isn't that bad if you play with cool people. Just find one guy to work with who says, "Yeah man I'll save those stalkers any time I can" and you'll make huge advancements of just a single 10 round game.

In that regard it's not much (if any) harder than the others. If you just head out to public games though it can suck.

With this in mind I always carried a bullpup as a secondary regardless of perk. One or two here and there adds up.

On a happy note: I just got my Mr. Perky last night!. Woot.
Grats.

Upvote 0
Medic seems to take forever because it's only 25k heal points to get to lv5 and then 100k to get lv6. So it takes 3 times as long to go from lv5 to 6 than from lv1 to 5. The fastest way to level medic is to play on hard servers with randoms and ONLY heal. If you do not contribute to kills it increases the pressure on the rest of the group. As long as you are a good shot with the medic gun, you can keep those who stick around you alive. I found that leveling medic to 5 so you can spawn w armor was the easiest route to go since it doesn't take that long to hit lv5 and you can easily level ss and/or zerker a long the way. The cheaper and more effective armor, extra speed and faster self healing really can make a difference as a noob.

Upvote 0
I would say go ss, then support. (support is pretty easy to play). Only reason for ss first because it is amazingly easy to level. As for support, you can just play solo, leave a few mobs left behind a door, bind num 0 to primary fire, switch to your wielder, put a heavy object on num 0, sleep, ???, profit.

6a00d4142efd3f3c7f00d414332aab3c7f-500pi

Upvote 0
Commando is NOT hard to level. You get the damage, then clean up any stalkers you have left on kf-survival. It's just as easy as support since you can just go afk for hours welding a door and get door points, sure they're technically "exploits" but they still get the job done since those are the parts of leveling the perks nobody really wants to do anyways. or at least i didn't.

As for what order you play your perks: Do what you like. There is no order in which you "should" level your perks. Leveling sharpie first is actually the worst thing you could do considering you can level it as any other perk. Play it on wave one, then switch to another perk. You'll probably be 6 before you know it without even playing the perk.

As a person who has all 6 perks, except zerker(which will be 6 soon), just play what you like. You'll get there eventually.

regarding commando lvling, dont conserve ammo, just spray into the body of every enemy u see (except FP and scrake where uhit the head). Levels as fast as support

Reactions: Vaecrius
Upvote 0
regarding commando lvling, dont conserve ammo, just spray into the body of every enemy u see (except FP and scrake where uhit the head). Levels as fast as support

No. Just no.

This is stupid on many levels, not the least being that you will run out of ammo so fast with this.

Really, are you mentally handicapped or something? Doesn't logic pose an impediment to your thinking?

Upvote 0