• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The ultimate and ONLY KF is dying / not updated / etc thread

If you look at RO patch history after October '06 it took until May '07 before they released a new patch, and after August '07 it took to March '08 before the next one arrived -> June '08 -> March '09 etc.

So TWI's "old" three month policy as few holes in it looking from date perspective. It would be a good idea not to be too hasty about this for the moment.

well i was basing this "3 month policy" off an average of what i could remember of updates. so if you really want to look at the exact date statistic, i'll be glad to do that and support my comment ;)

in the 48 months RO:OST has existed there's been a total of 13 individual updates/patches, not including 5-6 additional sales and mod "celebrations" (DH/MN etc....). so at those stats, that's an average of an update every 3.7 months. now the last update was in March of '09 and was believed to be the final update to the game, so really it was only 36 months of support which would bring the average to an update every 2.8 months (so approx. a 3 month policy would be pretty accurate). this all aside from the fact that TW promised support through 2007.

yes there were a few 5-6 month gaps, but there were also extended periods of time where there was an update of some sort every month. look at 2006; from march release to october (7 months) there were 8 updates. now you also have to look at what came in the updates following the long periods of "inactivity". they were huge content updates, hence the extended period of time between updates.

now let's look at KF update history after it's first 12 months: there's been 13 total updates/patches in addition to corresponding sales and 2 DLC packs. so KF has actually received more attention that RO did, update-wise, thus far.

i look at the first year trends of each game and they are identical. 7 straight months from release had an update. additionally, both games received 2 major content updates during their first 12 months. now after the first year, what we saw with RO was extended periods of time without an update followed by a "large" update. since KF has followed almost the exact same path as RO, i'd expect that after a 7 month update lull, KF will be getting a pretty big content update and pretty soon. now add all that to the fact that while each game was being updated, a new game was in production. KF for ROOST, ROHOS for KF (and apparently during ROOST too). plus TW has added some more staff members over the years to spread out the workload which explains why KF received the attention it did and how they can work on two major games at once.

so to summarize, KF has exactly followed the "RO trend" and even more. the thing is that people get accustomed to the expectations of "update a month" and "6 month lull = large content update". it's to be expected that people will start to get ancy when the "vacations" come up because they've been so used to the attention. however, they expect to see something "big" after those dry spells. so i look at KF's status and it's coming up on a 7 month lull, meaning that (basing of RO's trends) it's due for a pretty big content update pretty soon. the KF 1 year anniversary in a little less than 2 weeks would seem to be perfect. like i said earlier, i've really not yet begun to "lose faith" because i've gotten used to the trends, but if KF goes another 2-3 months without any attention, i'll start to worry about it. ;)

statistical update research and analysis complete :D

Upvote 0
Just a random statement:

How come every player complaining about updates are new?? I mean most are not even 2 months old. :/

Average KF Complainer:

baby.jpg

I'm fine with waiting. There are a ton of good maps just waiting to be played. Especially with 32+ servers.
In the meantime, everyone can distract themselves by watching Mr. Foster's dance crew =D

Also, this is truth:

I personally take the stance that I've payed my money, I've played the game, and I've loved every minute of it.

TWI has given me a game that I couldn't be more satisfied with, and if they are going to improve it for me for FREE, then I'm not gonna complain if they take some time doing it :)

J* :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0