• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Make a lvl requirment for servers

Anubis_FB

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
Madera, CA
I was just posting this in another post and I thought I would start a thread about it. When creating your own public server, I thought it would be good to have a lvl requirement on the server and when the lvl requirment will begin. Meaning that you cannot enter the game or change to a level under the level requirement set at the wave you want it to start at. Example: If you want it at lvl 5 wave 6. A lvl 4 would be able to get in the game at wave 5, and as long as he dosent leave or change to a higher lvl (assuming he has a higher one) he can remain in the game. If you set it at lvl 5 wave 1, all player need to be lvl 5 to play on the server.

Think this would be a good solution to the low lvls playing suicidal. This will allow server admins to choose to have low lvl players or just high lvl players on their servers.

<fail> Hey guys lets make a filter that excludes all terrible players from suicidal. Everyone with higher perks levels must be good players and anyone under level 5 must be terrible. </fail>

As stated before a simple server message that lets joining players know that the server they are joining is suicidal (and has a box to disable this message from appearing again) would fix most people mistakenly joining suicidal. Very few low levels intentionally join (read: never in my experience).

Upvote 0
<fail> Hey guys lets make a filter that excludes all terrible players from suicidal. Everyone with higher perks levels must be good players and anyone under level 5 must be terrible. </fail>

As stated before a simple server message that lets joining players know that the server they are joining is suicidal (and has a box to disable this message from appearing again) would fix most people mistakenly joining suicidal. Very few low levels intentionally join (read: never in my experience).

Haha, nice html. I think a level filter should be allowed ONLY for servers with friendly fire enabled. This would prevent a$$holes from joining and waxing the whole team if they get bored and decide to leave, or if someone accidentally kills them. Higher level players would more likely have enough respect for the game and their teammates to not TK. FF servers need an a$$hole filter (yes, there will still be a few high-level Aholes, but not nearly as many.) Reflected FF is another safeguard against Aholes, but is not realistic and hurts the team more when the TK is accidental, since 2 players are killed instead of 1.

EDIT: it should be re-emphasized that ONLY friendly fire servers should have this perk level filter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No.
The solution to low lvls playing suicidal would be:
*drumroll*
to set 'normal' or 'beginner' as the default difficulty in the server browser cause it's set to 'any difficulty' right now and if the game with the lowest ping/most promising sounding mapname happens to be on suicidal...

I just don't think that newcomers consciously choose to join a 'hard' or even 'suicidal' game and most of the time it's an accident due to that simple design flaw.

Reactions: robdude19
Upvote 0
I think a level filter should be allowed ONLY for servers with friendly fire enabled. This would prevent a$$holes from joining and waxing the whole team if they get bored and decide to leave, or if someone accidentally kills them. Reflected FF is another safeguard against Aholes, but is not realistic and hurts the team more when the TK is accidental, since 2 players are killed instead of 1.
I thought that mirror FF only did damage to you and not the player that you hit. But I usually don't see it on real FF servers anyway (ie FF is not 2%). Which brings me to my other issue. At what point would this be allowed? If server admins only needed to set FF at 1% (or .001% if that is accepted as a value in KF) to get the level restriction you might see a lot of servers adopt the minimum FF unless it was rather high. And if was high enough that people wouldn't use it on suicidal, then why implement it?

I just don't think that newcomers consciously choose to join a 'hard' or even 'suicidal' game and most of the time it's an accident due to that simple design flaw.
Agreed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No.
The solution to low lvls playing suicidal would be:
*drumroll*
to set 'normal' or 'beginner' as the default difficulty in the server browser cause it's set to 'any difficulty' right now and if the game with the lowest ping/most promising sounding mapname happens to be on suicidal...

"Brilliant!" Simple solution, elegant, easily implemented, and effective. Win. +1

I suggest Normal by default.

Upvote 0
I'd amend that to 'Beginner' by default. Otherwise, what's the point in having a beginner setting if everyone's gonna go to Normal as their beginner anyway. I'd rather have people playing in 'normal' to be a conscious choice at the least. Of course, if there aren't enough Beginner servers, then that's different, but it sounds like a totally different problem which needs tending to.

Upvote 0