• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bring back the FP decap

omg, how could I overlook this?! It's obviously not nearly as boring or lame as one class 1-shotting them. What was I thinking.

1 class and only 1 weapon type... sure its probably glitched but its a hell of alot better than the glitched decap. The fact your trying to get it returned shows how much you suck more than anything else.

Upvote 0
Fleshpound is never a special specimen it is patty. Old decap is great for zerker and commando while the new system favour sharpshooter.

That's why it should go back to the old decap mechanics, because it's too easy for a sharpshooter to kill the fp from a safe cozy distance. Where's the fear or challenge in that?

The old fp decap was the only thing that kept the rust off the chainsaw after the katana update, and gave the zerk a very useful frontline task. On suicidal maps it was pretty much essential to decap the fp's, so I made sure to have a chainsaw for the fp's and katana for everything else.

If you keep the new decap mechanics, you might as well toss the chainsaw and spawn the zerk with a Katana like he should at level 6 anyway.

Scratch that, if you keep the new decap mechanics, you might as well TOSS THE WHOLE F*CKIN ZERK. Can scrakes get 1-shotted too now? Dealing with scrakes and fps was the zerk's #1 claim to fame, now what has he? His pride? No. only shame.

1 class and only 1 weapon type... sure its probably glitched but its a hell of alot better than the glitched decap. The fact your trying to get it returned shows how much you suck more than anything else.

Did you follow the thread debating this? It was all but confirmed by TWI that the decap was not a "glitch," based on examining the source code. There's no doubt that getting an old school decap was more of a thrill and took more skill than getting a simple xbow headshot, especially if done at a clutch moment. I remember needing at least 4 xbow headshots to kill a fp on hard before.

In a paradoxical way, I think having the old decap vulnerability actually made fp's MORE of a threat, because decap-happy players would often find themselves in a pickle after recklessly charging forward to decap and getting surrounded by stuff that wants to eat me. The decap gave fleshpounds a certain "wildcard" quality, now it's much more straightforward, blow the crap out of them or snipe the head, so you don't get players risking life and limb to get the trophy kill. The tantalizing gamble involved made attacking fleshpounds a tactical consideration: is the fleshpound fairly isolated, on even ground, without having sustained any fire from your teammates? Has he "locked on" to another player already? Do I have time to run up, decap and retreat before his buddies close in? When a fp comes around the corner, having only a second to respond REALLY cranks up the tension. Plus having to tell your noob team to not shoot it exercises leadership on your part and restraint on theirs, encouraging more teamwork during gameplay.

Also getting a stylish decap makes you a stud in any public server. ;) Bring it back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's why it should go back to the old decap mechanics, because it's too easy for a sharpshooter to kill the fp from a safe cozy distance. Where's the fear or challenge in that?

The old fp decap was the only thing that kept the rust off the chainsaw after the katana update, and gave the zerk a very useful frontline task. On suicidal maps it was pretty much essential to decap the fp's, so I made sure to have a chainsaw for the fp's and katana for everything else.

If you keep the new decap mechanics, you might as well toss the chainsaw and spawn the zerk with a Katana like he should at level 6 anyway.

Scratch that, if you keep the new decap mechanics, you might as well TOSS THE WHOLE F*CKIN ZERK. Can scrakes get 1-shotted too now? Dealing with scrakes and fps was the zerk's #1 claim to fame, now what has he? His pride? No. only shame.

Did you follow the thread debating this? It was all but confirmed by TWI that the decap was not a "glitch," based on examining the source code. There's no doubt that getting an old school decap was more of a thrill and took more skill than getting a simple xbow headshot, especially if done at a clutch moment. I remember needing at least 4 xbow headshots to kill a fp on hard before.

Plus getting a decap officially makes you a stud in any public server ;) Bring it back.

Agreed, new Decap system is horrible (I don't even like the Scrakes Hitbox being fixed since they die way too easily now, but that's a different topic) along with the Zerk being a worthless and unfun class, this update definitely has its flaws currently.

Upvote 0
Using a knife to kill them took great timing/skill/luck/whatever you want to call it and had alot of risk involved.. and as I said before, I don't really see a problem with it, but I won't go there.
It didn't take particularly good skill, all you had to do was hold fire and aim for the head. You could do this with a level 0 perk with a knife on suicidal in a 6 man game. Not only this but it did absolutely nothing to promote teamwork.

You kinda contradicted yourself there. You say it made a "joke" out of FP's and "killed the fear", then you talk about how it wouldn't work all the time and you were lucky to survive?
It made a joke out of them because it made them more annoying than scary. If you were unlucky it would rage before you had a chance to decapitate it, and even though you'd successfully take its head off it'd still kill you if you didn't have enough health to take the hit that it somehow manages to land despite not being able to see you. And it didn't always work because it was buggy, due to the fact that it was a bug of course.

Fleshpound is never a special specimen it is patty.
It is considered the most powerful non-boss specimen of the game, even if you could call the Patriarch a specimen himself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Have you even read anything that's been said? I think that post alone revokes any significance your opinions may hold.

How about not able to decap, and no critical head shot(thick scull) so hit takes maybe 5-6 xbow bolts to the face to bring him down, (hard 6man). That would force people to stick together and work together to take them down.

You've got to also think of solo play though. I know it's a co-op game, I know teamwork should be required, I know the team is there for a reason. But, you need to remember that teams die. There are alot of times when you will be the sole survivor, and then what? your team gets up to wave 7-10, everyone's dead but you still have a chance to finish it for the team, and you simply can't because a team is needed to kill a Fleshpound? I still think the decapping is the way to go. It promotes teamwork when there's a team(see below), but can also be solo'd in dire situations(if the player is skilled enough).

It made a joke out of them because it made them more annoying than scary. If you were unlucky it would rage before you had a chance to decapitate it, and even though you'd successfully take its head off it'd still kill you if you didn't have enough health to take the hit that it somehow manages to land despite not being able to see you. And it didn't always work because it was buggy, due to the fact that it was a bug of course.

Sounds pretty scary to me. Infact, if you didn't have the "joke" and (?)"bug"(?) remarks in there, I'd say you were defending the decap system from all those nay sayers who think there's no risk involved, or that it's "lame" and "easy" etc. *thumbs up*

It didn't take particularly good skill, all you had to do was hold fire and aim for the head. You could do this with a level 0 perk with a knife on suicidal in a 6 man game. Not only this but it did absolutely nothing to promote teamwork.

Did you even try using a knife to decap? cause I guarantee you it was not as simple as "holding fire and aiming for the head". While it was possible for a Lv0 to do it, it was not as simple as spamming attack(with the knife anyway).

This decap method did infact promote teamwork, a whole lot more teamwork than the current method. When a Fleshpound spawned, the team had to figure out who it was on, clear other mobs out the way while refraining from raging the FP, cover the player while he went to decap, cover him again while he ran from the FP's headless body etc, and that's if it went smoothly. If it got messed up then the team had to step in and try bring it down as fast as possible. It took alot more teamwork than a couple SharpShooters competing over who will be the first to kill the freshly spawned Fleshpound.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How about not able to decap, and no critical head shot(thick scull) so hit takes maybe 5-6 xbow bolts to the face to bring him down, (hard 6man). That would force people to stick together and work together to take them down.

I agree with this, pre-patch the insta-decap was silly and now the 1 shot kills has made the FP and Scrake a joke.

Upvote 0
I do remember seeing things like "if you score a critical headshot, you can remove specimens head and they can't use their special abilities" or sth like that.
So why only fp shouldn't have a chanced to be "critical headshoted?"

I think when a specimen's health is lower then 50% and you are using a weapon that has high enough attack, you should be able to remove ANY specimen's head (except for the boss of coz).

Upvote 0

Also getting a stylish decap makes you a stud in any public server. ;) Bring it back.

They all-but did scratch the Zerker. It's a shadow of it's former self, absolutely eclipsed by every other class, hands down. Not only are they rare now, but when someone DOES play one, they're underappreciated and quickly encouraged to "Switch to medic" (If tanking) or "Switch to Support/Sharpshooter" (If fighting). The sad thing is that switching is usually be best option...

Fleshpound is never a special specimen it is patty. Old decap is great for zerker and commando while the new system favour sharpshooter.

This is just one of the many unnecessary slaps in the face this patch gave Berserkers. If a FP charges you now, where you could skillfully pop it's head off with your Katana or if you had one, EASILY chunk it's head off with the Chainsaw, now you're pretty much boned.

Even at Level 6 with 25% damage resistance, you can't go toe-to-toe with a Fleshpound. So they've basically taken away your survival method (Not effective killing strategy, even!) against a specimen you used to be only marginally good at...while the already-powerful Support and Sharpshooter are made more effective against them... Awesome "Balancing"...

Upvote 0
Well... as a berserker, I definitely have an axe to grind with the current patch... but I don't like the old decap for fleshpounds- as it was at least.

I don't think bringing back a glitchy cheese that took an equal mixture of skill and just plain luck will not fix the wider problems facing the berserker.

More damage, or more durability- one or the other needs a serious boost for berserkers; letting it fall to player choice by way of equipment choice is ideal: riot shield for tanking, two-handed weaps for damage output.

Upvote 0
Well... as a berserker, I definitely have an axe to grind with the current patch... but I don't like the old decap for fleshpounds- as it was at least.

I don't think bringing back a glitchy cheese that took an equal mixture of skill and just plain luck will not fix the wider problems facing the berserker.

More damage, or more durability- one or the other needs a serious boost for berserkers; letting it fall to player choice by way of equipment choice is ideal: riot shield for tanking, two-handed weaps for damage output.

Ehhhh, I'm not so sure I like the idea of the Riot shield. It would make the game feel too "MMO-ish".

I would definitely like to see a blunt weapon option though. Sledgehammer, Mace, something.

Upvote 0
Back in mod there were no boss specs but the game was difficult because of FPs. But it seems to me that there are two issues with this thread.

1) Half of the people are saying that FP head shots make the game too easy
2)the other half says that FP head shots force players to play SS.

For solo play FPs have less health, so there is no issue there.

Given that very few FPs ever spawn they should have the ability to wreck your team. I'm very much in favor of making FPs slightly resistant to crossbow bolts (say half damage), balancing new weapons, and giving the FP the hard head atribute (like what sirens and scrakes have). As it is I can still kill an FP nearly by myself with a HS as a level 5 support on Hard with 4 people. AK, balanced SCAR, Crossbow, balanced AA12, HS, and katana all allow decent damage and if you have a tank (particularly a level 6 medic) take the aggro from the FP, they are still horribly easy to kill.

Upvote 0

Like i give a crap what the source code said. TWI said nothing, even the Scrake Stun they said was intentional and have proven this by giving it a proper animation. To me the fact they removed it (after waiting so long) says it was a glitch that they were prepared to leave in depending on how it turned out to be.

Removing a Fleshpounds head using a single Bullpup shot is a glitch, whether you suck too much to admit it or not. Removing it with a Crossbow headshot from a lvl6 Sharpshooter? Its probably glitched too given how it didn't happen before, but at least the source of the kill is a powerful 1.

Upvote 0
Infact, if you didn't have the "joke" and (?)"bug"(?) remarks in there, I'd say you were defending the decap system from all those nay sayers who think there's no risk involved, or that it's "lame" and "easy" etc. *thumbs up*
It's either easy or you're unlucky (which is annoying). I don't think any part of the game should be based on luck. This isn't a Nintendo game, this isn't a game for kids, it's meant to be a more serious game that requires skill, not luck.

Did you even try using a knife to decap? cause I guarantee you it was not as simple as "holding fire and aiming for the head". While it was possible for a Lv0 to do it, it was not as simple as spamming attack(with the knife anyway).
No, using the knife did take some careful timing sometimes, but do you seriously see nothing wrong with being able to kill the most powerful specimen with just a single knife attack to the head? If you do I'm pretty sure it's because you want the game to be easy with no regard to what makes sense or not.

If it got messed up then the team had to step in and try bring it down as fast as possible.
Of they could just do it properly and work as a team in the first place? Saying "oh, but if it didn't go well the team might have to step in!" doesn't help its case as a feature that promotes teamwork. :)

Upvote 0
The biggest reason I agree with this is here:

The sharpshooter has essentially become the asshole class. I tend to get lvl 5 sharps walking in front of me constantly to steal all the kills because he's no longer afraid of anything.

Then he walks back and buys a ****ing EBR and armor, and doesn't throw the team a dime. Mind you, this is round 3-4 on suicidal. He now has all the power and us none of it.

So what happens? The entire team is hiding around him, and of course, he runs out of ammo because like an idiot, he didn't buy enough or give his team any money.

It's just bull****. Right now the game encourages less teamwork, and more being a ****ty cash hoarder. Especially with the commando and sharpshooter perks. They just sit in the back all day headshotting any enemy you see before you can even shoot it once.

Before, it used to be that as a sharpshooter, I backed the **** out of my bezerker who was running through crowds. Anytime anything came behind him, I mowed it down with the crossbow or Winchester and he'd have free movement.

Now, I tend to see either a sharp/commando just mow down everything in front of them, and bezerkers, well they are just non-existent.

See how big of a problem that is?

Upvote 0