• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bring back the FP decap

maybe shooting him in the head does no more damage than shooting him in the chest, leg, arm etc

HAH! That's exactly how it works for berserkers trying futilely to melee the FP!

Chopping scrakes and fleshpounders in the face does the same exact damage as stabbing them in the foot. Posted in Bug Reports.

...and to anyone who says berserkers are fine, I call BS and incite that you have no idea what you're talking about. I do- my proof is sitting right there in my signature; where's your proof?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please enlighten me, where do we need berserkers at the moment? There is supposed to be a balance in each perk so everyone has a major role in different occasions. Like
Medic: heal teammates
Commando: kill the smaller enemies such as crawlers, clots and especially stalkers. Also can warn the team when invisible boss it near.

What about zerker? Now the update came and nerfed zerker, they just run around taking damage because even gorefasts won't fall anymore when decapitating them with a chainsaw. Not to mention FF servers, they are just running in everyone's line of fire. They have no major role in any occasion. Sharpshooter took his role, SS took everyone's role to be honest.

If I recall correctly, since the Katana came out, there weren't a great deal of people running around with the Chainsaw anyway. Yes, the Chainsaw has been screwed, but you applied the "useless" notion to Berserkers in general, when infact, a Berserker with Katana can still fill his role absolutely fine. A Berserker with Katana can still do everything it could before the update, it just isn't a simple as holding Fire and turning your mouse anymore. Ofcourse some of this(FPs) is due, in no small part, to the Crossbow being pretty overpowered(I'm not, by any means, saying that the Katana is useless without Crossbow.. except when it comes to FPs).

I honestly don't understand all these people complaining that the Berserker is useless. So I'll try to enlighten you somewhat: The Berserker + Katana combination mainly included the use of the Crossbow pre-patch, and now, it seems like one of the best combos available. Whilst not as "good"(for lack of a better word) as the SharpShooter, the Berserker doesn't require a long ranged weapon, so the addition of the Crossbow was simply for leisure, as it is now somewhat, but it's also now the Berserkers key to taking down Fleshpounds. Unlike the other classes(with exception to medic), the Crossbow is easily combined without any need for removing the Berserker's main, class-specific, weaponry. It is a simple little addition that has absolutely no downside for the Berserker class, and seems to be the best way to kill Fleshpounds(which doesn't change when in the hands of a Berserker). It also makes taking out Sirens/Husks/Groups/Crawlers just as easy as any of the ranged classes(if not easier).

So it would seem to me asthough Berserkers are still as capable at dealing with every mob as they were before, plus, they are now one of the most capable classes when it comes to Fleshpounds. They just can't sit back at a very, very safe distance and drop anything in a couple hits like the SharpShooter(... unless they use the Crossbow).

Yes, the SharpShooter can do anything better than any class in the game, but when compared to the other classes, the Berserker still shines. Incase you haven't put all these abilities together, it means that the Berserker is just as good a solo class(atleast) as it has ever been, it's just that now, it's one of the better classes when it comes down to FPs.. and it's still one of the best at dealing with Scrakes. Forget "major roles" for now, because the simple fact is that SharpShooter owns them all(although Berserker can still fill them).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So you're basically saying the Berserker does great when he doesn't fight melee and uses some other perk's weapon.

I think you're missing the point of what the Berserker perk is supposed to be.

When did I say that? I specifically stated that I was not implying that the Katana is useless. For everything, absolutely everything except Fleshpounds, Berserker + Katana is absolutely fine. Just because I didn't guide people through using the Katana, doesn't mean it isn't used(I was kind of hoping that Berserkers would know that). I'm simply saying that because the Berserker perk only requires the use of a Katana, they have very open options as to what else they carry, one of which happens to be the Crossbow, which at the moment happens to be the best weapon for FPs. The Berserker is in no way a bad class. The point of my post there was to show that Berserkers are one of the very few classes that can solo the game, and that is in no way a bad thing.

I am sick of people saying that the Berserker is "useless" and "ruined", simply because it doesn't have a 'specific role' to play. It can survive on it's own and it can kill any mob, sounds fine to me.

If I am, infact, missing the point, would you care to fill me in?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My definition of 'sound' differs from yours.

If a class is only viable if it uses 1 of the 5 weapons at its disposal, and even then, requires a ridiculously overpowered weapon from another perk, something is wrong. You make it sound like Berserker is okay because the katana is so light he can carry a massive crossbow to compensate for his inadequacies.

Also, you're forgetting that katana still sucks against sirens, husks, crawlers, etc. Half the zeds in the game are stacked against the berserker outright. The fact that he can manage against a fleshpound if he uses a specific loadout, which includes a stupidly overpowered weapon from another class, yet still be mediocre compared to the sharpshooter, does not mean that the Berserker is "sound."

If Berserker is "sound" with katana + crossbow, Sharp Shooter must be "god-like" with crossbow + katana.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My definition of 'sound' differs from yours.

If a class is only viable if it uses 1 of the 5 weapons at its disposal, and even then, requires a ridiculously overpowered weapon from another perk, something is wrong. You make it sound like Berserker is okay because the katana is so light he can carry a massive crossbow to compensate for his inadequacies.

Also, you're forgetting that katana still sucks against sirens, husks, crawlers, etc. Half the zeds in the game are stacked against the berserker outright. The fact that he can manage against a fleshpound if he uses a specific loadout, which includes a stupidly overpowered weapon from another class, yet still be mediocre compared to the sharpshooter, does not mean that the Berserker is "sound."

If Berserker is "sound" with katana + crossbow, Sharp Shooter must be "god-like" with crossbow + katana.

Yes, Sharp is rediculously overpowered, no one is refuting that.

Yes, the Katana's weight should be it's main focus, as it is a sword. Swords are supposed to be light-weight and versatile, don't try to turn it into some sort of over the top damage machine, leave that to the Chainsaw(yes I know, they screwed it).

I like your part about Sirens/Husks/Crawlers, considering they've always been a "problem"(excuse the Husk) to those who simply wish to sit there and spam melee attacks all day. I, on the other hand, have no such problem. It comes down to skill/play style(if you know how to play, you'll realise that the Katana is still a fine weapon). The crossbow is simply the logical choice for a side weapon, but if you can't see that then I won't try convince you otherwise(and I really don't feel like explaining over and over), so why someone wouldn't choose that is beyond me. I state over and over again that the SharpShooter is overpowered, and no class should be like that.. so why is being mediocre compared to the SharpShooter alone such a bad thing?

Oh and btw, it only "requires" the "overpowered weapon" when dealing with Fleshpounds, so would you like to get back on topic and submit your opinion as to how this could be altered?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No Jabau what your saying is that *you* have no problems playing Berkserker because *you* don't actually play it as a melee character, and as such, are a waste of space.

Let me see what your Sharpshooter wannabe is doing here. You have your Crossbow to take care of Husks and Sirens, assuming you were given enough time to aim for there heads. You have your 9mm Pistol to take care of the Crawlers... the millions of Crawlers so you do infact spend longer with the 9mm out shooting them than using the Katana.

Sharpshooter has become overpowered since the M14 with its excessive amount of ammo allowed them to basically spam-shot everything. Using a 9mm and a Crossbow is far from overpowered, but i guarantee you i'd kill more using my single 9mm Pistol than your Zerker would with his entire arsenal.

As for the topic, no FP decap should not be brought back, learn to play as a team. On that note Crossbow decap is just odd and theres really no need for it to only take a single shot, rendering it insanely easy, whereas before it took 2-4.

Upvote 0
No Jabau what your saying is that *you* have no problems playing Berkserker because *you* don't actually play it as a melee character, and as such, are a waste of space.

Let me see what your Sharpshooter wannabe is doing here. You have your Crossbow to take care of Husks and Sirens, assuming you were given enough time to aim for there heads. You have your 9mm Pistol to take care of the Crawlers... the millions of Crawlers so you do infact spend longer with the 9mm out shooting them than using the Katana.

Sharpshooter has become overpowered since the M14 with its excessive amount of ammo allowed them to basically spam-shot everything. Using a 9mm and a Crossbow is far from overpowered, but i guarantee you i'd kill more using my single 9mm Pistol than your Zerker would with his entire arsenal.

As for the topic, no FP decap should not be brought back, learn to play as a team. On that note Crossbow decap is just odd and theres really no need for it to only take a single shot, rendering it insanely easy, whereas before it took 2-4.

As it is clear that you have probably never even played a Berserker, yet feel the need to express your idiotic opinion on the subject as such, I'm not going to waste any more time reading what you post.

Upvote 0
I think what he's saying is valid. From the way you're describing it, you're either playing with your ranged weapons out for more of the game than you are the katana, or you're using terrain to "ninja" the ranged zeds. There's no proper way to melee a siren or a husk, unless you can sneak up on them, which is fine for some maps.

I know how to play Berserker, and I don't click spam. Prepatch, I was always chainsaw + LAR. The LAR took out my crawlers and sirens, and I was happy to grind the clots, gorefasts, etc into bits. The range of the siren and crawlers was fairly limited, so they weren't a huge pain in the ***.

Now my chainsaw is useless, there's a new zed that shoots me from across the map unless I hide somewhere, the FP can out run me and pound me into the earth unless a Sharpshooter saves me in time, and you're trying to say there's nothing wrong because I'm still okay if I just use a crossbow and a katana, spending the majority of the round with my crossbow and 9mm out and just pretending I'm a sharpshooter.

Anyway, as for the original topic, I don't necessarily support a reinstatement of the FP decapitation, but I think you should be able to decapitate him with an axe or chainsaw. Just not instantly. You also shouldn't be able to decapitate him with a crossbow bolt. I've never understood why you can blow off heads with a crossbow anyway. They simply penetrate skulls, not explode them.

Upvote 0
The Katana is a Sword. It is basically a light-weight secondary weapon, so where's the problem in using a gun mainly, then close ranging with a sword? Kinda seems to me that it's designed for that. Anyway, Crossbow has 40 shots, so you really think that's going to last in a 6man suicidal if I simply sit back and use that? I have no intention of defending myself from all the morons out there so I'm not going to offer up an explanation as to why this sounds absolutely stupid, or point out all the little inaccuracies that comprise most of these posts.

I honestly cbf reading your posts anymore, as they mainly go on about Berserkers "pretending to be SharpShooters" or your problems dealing with certain mobs, which, by the way, are obviously intended to be tougher on Berserkers for Game Balance reasons. I'm not going to give people tips on how to play, or guide them through being a Beserker. I know exactly what the Berserker class, as a whole, is capable of, and it happens to be one of the better classes. The Berserker class is just as good as it was pre-patch. The only thing that has changed is the Chainsaw, and I know all too well how you feel about it, but I also know that the Berserker + Katana combo is still as strong as it ever was and people calling it "useless" is just rediculous.

Evilsod's post is full of little bits of crap that point to him obviously having no experience with Berserker(well, atleast Suicidal), and everytime I look at the post I find something that I would like to correct, but alas, I have decided not to waste my time explaining things anymore, otherwise this could go on forever. From now on you people can take this as the reply to whatever problems you think make the Berserker "useless" and so on: The Berserker is Fine

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Simple fact is that the Katana is a Sword. It is basically a light-weight secondary weapon, so where's the problem in using a gun mainly, then close ranging with a sword?
The problem is that the berserker is clearly meant to be almost completely melee. Would you say Commando was Fine if he could only survive decently by using a Hunting Shotgun?

I honestly cbf reading your posts anymore, as they mainly go on about Berserkers "pretending to be SharpShooters" or your problems dealing with certain mobs, which, by the way, are obviously intended to be tougher on Berserkers for Game Balance reasons.
Oh, well that's okay. I'm surprised you haven't given up already anyway. It must be kind of hard to defend an opinion that's apparently very misguided, seeing as pretty much everyone who plays Berserker primarily, or used to, seems in agreement that it's been gimped. I'd give up too if I couldn't make a valid point.

Don't even talk about balance. The siren, crawler, husk, bloat and now Fleshpound appear to be designed entirely to destroy berserkers; siren, husk and bloat meant to be that way by principle. Where's the equivalent of that for any other class? There's no zed that exists to prey directly on any other perk.

Personally, I have no real problem dealing with crawlers, sirens or bloats. I know how to pick them off quickly, or rely on teammates to clear them for me. They were a difficulty, but not a deal breaker. With the introduction of the husk and the no-decap fleshpound, there's now 5 zeds that exist seemly just to force me into another perk. Find another class similarly handicapped and then maybe you can say it's for balance.

I know exactly what the Berserker class, as a whole, is capable of, and it happens to be one of the better classes. The Berserker class is just as good as it was pre-patch. The only thing that has changed is the Chainsaw, and I know all too well how you feel about it, but I also know that the Berserker + Katana combo is still as strong as it ever was and people calling it "useless" is just rediculous.
I'd like to see you name a class that's worse and explain how. Sure, Katana + Crossbow works okay. Know what else? Crossbow + anything else would work okay too. Possibly better, because you could always keep distance.

I understand if you feel Katana + Crossbow is effective enough and it suits your playing style. But you should realise that the Berserker class is clearly meant to be melee primarily, and that's how a lot of people choose to play it. It'd also be nice if you'd stop being so arrogant about it and assuming anyone who doesn't like to use that combination just sucks.

Upvote 0
...The Berserker is Fine

You go on believing that, the rest of the forum, and quite clearly, the rest of the players in the game, disagree with you in face of a huge amount of evidence you are too arrogant to notice. Your Katana wielding Sharpshooter would have 10x the potential than a Berserker wielding Crossbower. Whether your too 'proud' to admit this or not.

9mm Pistol > Clots, Gorefasts, Bloats, Crawlers and Stalkers.
Crossbow > Sirens, Husks, Scrakes and Fleshpounds
Katana --> ammo conservation or Dual Handcannons --> panic fire/ammo conservation

The Zerker is gimped. Half the zeds in the game can tear him apart or counter him and he's frequently forced back out of melee if his team isn't medicking or clearing out his weaknesses.

99% of players would rather you stop wasting space on later waves and go as a class that dosen't need babysitting.

Upvote 0
I always see you talking about the katana, tried the chainsaw yet?

Indeed. I'm fine with the berserker, I don't care about the Katana clickfest (even though it gets annoying in time..), or whatever, but for the mother of god, what happened to the chainsaw? When trying to decapitate a freakin gorefast they are still standing and hitting you without a head...

Upvote 0
I always see you talking about the katana, tried the chainsaw yet?

Your sight is obviously very poor.

Aww isn't it cute when clueless ignorant people spiel like this? You're not very bright.

And you're obviously one of those sad little people having a whinge simply because the Berserker is no longer an overpowered nubfest of a class.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your sight is obviously very poor.
Well I suppose you know that it's absolutely useless then, even though it's supposed to be 'on par' with the katana as the price suggests.
Now, a chainsaw berserker is anything but usable at anything but normal, right.
So how can you say berserker is fine when one whole playstyle of it is completely nerfed into uselessness, annoying clickfest aside?

And you're obviously one of those sad little people having a whinge simply because the Berserker is no longer an overpowered nubfest of a class.
Overpowered? Because you can actually kill some stuff that you first have to run up to, always in danger of receiving a severe beating?
Also how can you say it is 'no longer' overpowered, the actual strength of the katana, which lead to people screaming about how OP the berserker is hasn't changed one bit since the update. It was just made needlessly inconvenient to use.
You are and have always been full of weaknesses as a melee fighter and without some skill, you WILL go down so it's hardly a 'nubfest of a class'.

And if you talk about the fp decap, it's not like that was berserker exclusive or anything. You could even pull it off with your 9mm and some timing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0