• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will it take to save RO?

I can't believe what has happened with Darkest Hour, quite simply, this modification alone is worth money.

Instead of being embraced, this game got very little support from TW when it could have been a great chance to give RO fans something to chew on until RO 2 comes out in 2010.

Not only that, the launch of Darkest Hour 3.0 was quite simply one of the worst launches of an amazing game that I have ever seen. Server binary problems, old version deletion requirements, it truly was sad to see. Personally, I wasn't able to play DH in my country for weeks after the release. The price drop got heaps of players into RO again but not until 3 weeks after it was released did the main server provider in our country put up a 50 slot server.

Quite simply, Darkest Hour is far superior to RO in every way, if I was TW, I would be directing every single person to play DH rather than RO. Ultimately, DH is RO so there is nothing lost to directing people to play this rather than RO. I would be designing the ability for people to be able to load up Red Orchestra and they be able to join a Darkest Hour Server from within RO. Ultimately, the best method would be including Darkest Hour into a Red Orchestra Update and then market this.

The only chance that RO has of not dying out before RO2 comes out is if TW works with Darkest Hour to create an official Red Orchestra Darkest Hour patch (4.0) that comes automatically to anyone who has RO via Steam. All they would have to do is refine a few of the custom maps, fix a couple of the bugs such as tank crew invulnerability even when hanging out of the tank and pay a few guys to come up with a few really good and exciting videos that showcase the competitive advantages of Darkest Hour and Red Orchestra.

Imagine a well constructed marketing campaign that consisted of an exciting video that showcased Darkest Hours best points with servers setup all around the world before the launch on the back of a price drop. I would bet my house that they would get a stack of new sales and importantly a stack of people coming back to the RO engine.

Upvote 0
I've been playing alot of DH lately. It's a nice mod and has a good player base on several servers. I really like the feel of combined arms action as well as infantry raids feel many of the maps have to them. I have played RO a little recently and still love the game. However I can only find a few servers with a good ping that are populated. I also can only play Danzig so many times before....yawn.

What about Mare Norstrum? Does anyone play? I downloaded recently but never see any populated servers.

Upvote 0
Me too (MN). I still play RO occasionally, but that is only when I can find something different than the usual maps that are constantly playing on the occupied servers. There are too many good custom maps out there that are rarely if ever played, and I am a bit tired of the same run-of-the mill maps that are almost always playing on the occupied servers. I have also been playing DH which is nice and the maps haven't been out soooo long for me to be tired from them.

Upvote 0
For those that don't realize it the DH team have been working on quite a patch now and they should be releasing very soon. It will fix many of the issues many of stated. It will NOT add any more content for now but it will definitely fix most of the items that have been posted on their forum for BUGS and other things that are in constant conversations on their site.

It will also be downloaded automatically to those on Steam when they are able to release it. It's up to Valve and TW to get the patch released to Steam, the DH team has no direct way of doing so and everything must go through the proper channels first. So keep your eyes peeled for the patch which should be here real soon.

Once most of the bugs are fixed then they have more time to move onto more content, requests, maps and the like. Plus you already have many map makers converting or making new maps for DH on a daily basis.

Come over to CLOWNS Darkest Hour Playhouse to play many of these great custom maps and test out your skills with many skilled and mature players. We fill up almost EVERY single week day from 9PM EST on but if enough people get there earlier and seed the server it would fill up much quicker and as I stated earlier in the thread seed it during the day and keep it full then as well. Not everyone can play from say 9PM - 4AM.

See you all on the battlefield. You guys don't know what you've been missing if you haven't been out to the playhouse.

Upvote 0
The Clowns server is one of the servers I was speaking of and definitely my number one choice once enough get on for a proper match. The RO community is a small but enjoyable community and I see nothing wrong with continuing to get the word out about the few solid servers. I have no affiliation with their group but do love playing DH with those guys and most of the regulars that play there. It seems to be a mature group without the need to have their noses stuck in the air either. They have a good map selection and in particular Maup...(don't know complete spelling) and Berlin_beta2 are great customs which play there regularly. I am usually on sometime after 9pm EST as TheOneAndOnlyDC.

Thanks for the place to play and let's keep the game rolling on!

DC

Edit: I don't know that anyone answered my earlier question; Is MN dead? Should I go ahead and delete it from my HD or are there servers where people actually still play?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For those that don't realize it the DH team have been working on quite a patch now and they should be releasing very soon. It will fix many of the issues many of stated. It will NOT add any more content for now but it will definitely fix most of the items that have been posted on their forum for BUGS and other things that are in constant conversations on their site.

It will also be downloaded automatically to those on Steam when they are able to release it. It's up to Valve and TW to get the patch released to Steam, the DH team has no direct way of doing so and everything must go through the proper channels first. So keep your eyes peeled for the patch which should be here real soon.

Once most of the bugs are fixed then they have more time to move onto more content, requests, maps and the like. Plus you already have many map makers converting or making new maps for DH on a daily basis.

Come over to CLOWNS Darkest Hour Playhouse to play many of these great custom maps and test out your skills with many skilled and mature players. We fill up almost EVERY single week day from 9PM EST on but if enough people get there earlier and seed the server it would fill up much quicker and as I stated earlier in the thread seed it during the day and keep it full then as well. Not everyone can play from say 9PM - 4AM.

See you all on the battlefield. You guys don't know what you've been missing if you haven't been out to the playhouse.

Well plenty of new maps are added all the time even without the DH team putting new stuff out to keep me happy.
Clown you guys do have a good server at night. I always check to see if the place is populated and if it is I like the crowd that plays in there and of course you are always getting the other players motivated over the mic.

Upvote 0
Well plenty of new maps are added all the time even without the DH team putting new stuff out to keep me happy.
Clown you guys do have a good server at night. I always check to see if the place is populated and if it is I like the crowd that plays in there and of course you are always getting the other players motivated over the mic.

Yeah I'm all about winning and usually those that are on the other teams side are guys I truly want to beat. I definitely use the mic but I hope it's for the betterment of the team. I do get pissy at times too, I hate losing. :D

I'd like to see it used on a constant basis though (the server that is) and full all the time especially on the weekends during the day, only time will tell and with additions of new maps and fixes etc. Hopefully we can keep everyone happy and coming back for more.

Moe where the hell you been you've been missing some epic battles my friend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For me, the only things that can save RO are a few things....

Better sense of community.

More players who actually want to cooperate.

Ping Compensation. PLEASE UT2K4 NetCode is GARBAGE, after working on mods for both UT2k4 and Source, Source's netcode is superior.

Fix some of the bugs related to animations, and ironsights.

New content.

For me, those will save RO.

Upvote 0