• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

new guns, rejoice guise :D

To get back on topic...

Doesn't anyone think there could be, you know, some more unique and inventive ideas instead of the AK-47 (especially since it basically fits the same niche as the bullpup)?

I mean... that gun is pretty much supersaturated in popular culture. Even if it were as amazing as everyone says it is, I'd be pretty sick of seeing it.

there isnt a great deal of games that have the AK47 in it. most FPS are WW2 based, while a handful are futuristic, and another handful warrant an AK47 or variant.

its kinda hard to be unique and inventive when adding a new assault rifle. they all go full auto, and they all kill stuff. but there are quite a bit of cool firearms out there, especially the G3. but for KF purposes, the AK47 is great! its not futuristic (over the top), and its not overpowered, or underpowered.

(when i think of unique and inventive, i think of a gun that can shoot around corners, can mount anything to it, can shoot various different sized rounds, etc etc)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SAS uses AK-47/AKM assault rifles. Seems pretty English to me.

Hahaha, where in the hell did you see that? It's not listed here, though they may use indigenous weapons (like, I dunno, every other SOF in the world) in order to maintain plausible deniability, but that has more to do with what's available in the area, not the weapon itself.

Upvote 0
Hahaha, where in the hell did you see that? It's not listed here, though they may use indigenous weapons (like, I dunno, every other SOF in the world) in order to maintain plausible deniability, but that has more to do with what's available in the area, not the weapon itself.
Yes wikipedia the "best" source of knowledge, how about reading a book.

Upvote 0
Guys, I've said it before and I've said it again - FAL.

- Very common and widespread IRL.
- Very underused in video games.
- Semi-auto, high accuracy (could even have a scope on it), medium-to-high power, 20 round magazine.
- Standard rifle of the British armed forces before the adoption of the L85.

See guys? This is a good idea.

The L1A1 is a fine rifle and, more importantly, fills a different niche than the bullpup.

Upvote 0
I want the Handcannon to be replaced with something else, Desert Eagles are used in many games and is unimaginative. :rolleyes:

Oh, please...

Just be glad that there MAY BE some new toys in the works that might freshen up the game a bit.

What like this? Pfeifer Zeliska, biggest and most powerful (50% more muzzle energy than the S&W Model 500)... um... "pistol"... ya take that with a salt mine :p in the world. When that motherf***er over there absolutely, POSITIVELY, WITHOUT A SHADOW OF DOUBT MUST DIE!!!

Attachments

• 2_600gun5_1.jpg
    2_600gun5_1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
there isnt a great deal of games that have the AK47 in it. most FPS are WW2 based, while a handful are futuristic, and another handful warrant an AK47 or variant.

Well, looking on gamespot's (lol Gerstmann) first-page list of top-rated PC FPSes, there are... 3-4 futuristic FPSes (depending on whether or not you consider Crysis: Warhead to be set far enough in the future to be "futuristic), 2 WWII games, one set in the sixties, one at the turn of century, one in the old west, and 6 in the modern era. Out of those six, four have AK-type weapons in them. 5 if you include Killing Floor...

its kinda hard to be unique and inventive when adding a new assault rifle. they all go full auto, and they all kill stuff.

Only if you think about it that simplistically. It doesn't even have to be an assault rifle. ARs have a fairly narrow set of features and pretty much all occupy the same role, which is why it seems silly to me to add another assault rifle to the game that does pretty much the same thing as the existing one.

but there are quite a bit of cool firearms out there, especially the G3.

The G3 is a good idea; it's criminally underused outside of Tom Clancy games, and being a battle rifle (not an assault rifle), would occupy a different niche from the bullpup.

but for KF purposes, the AK47 is great! its not futuristic (over the top), and its not overpowered, or underpowered.

Exactly. It's as powered as the L22 carbine. Would it do anything hugely different?

(when i think of unique and inventive, i think of a gun that can shoot around corners, can mount anything to it, can shoot various different sized rounds, etc etc)

Use your imagination! There are plenty of unique and interesting (more unique and interesting than the AK, at least) guns that don't have to shatter suspension of disbelief. Take your pick.

I want the Handcannon to be replaced with something else, Desert Eagles are used in many games and is unimaginative. :rolleyes:

Actually, some people do believe that, myself included.

There are a ton of powerful handguns that don't get put into games simply because the Desert Eagle has more recognition. No one wants to shake things up a bit and introduce something truly unique. I mean, that's hard work when you can easily just stick to what's known, right?

What like this? Pfeifer Zeliska, biggest and most powerful (50% more muzzle energy than the S&W Model 500)... um... "pistol"... ya take that with a salt mine :p in the world. When that motherf***er over there absolutely, POSITIVELY, WITHOUT A SHADOW OF DOUBT MUST DIE!!!

I can't tell if you're serious, but if you are...

I find it funny how, in a lot of these "suggestions" sub-forums for virtually all video games, people find the most powerful, flashy, and impractical weapons possible and try to shoehorn them into the game, to hell and damnation with balance or aesthetic consistency.

I also find it funny that people love the AK-47 for it's perceived ruggedness and reliability, yet the same people love katanas, despite their being dainty, brittle, and high-maintainence.

But, that's my opinion; I'm as entitled to it as you are to yours, except mine is contrary to the majority's, which must mean I'm a troll with no life, because I can afford 10 minutes a day to post on forums...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I have gained a new and unparalleled respect for you Sanzliot.
****, I haven't even SEEN you on the forums before.

The AK47 is generally found in FPS games because of how common it is in real life. The Soviets (if I'm right) had an ungodly number of these produced, and with the huge surplus, I don't find it hard to believe that they could end up all over the world. And to top it off at how simple the gun itself is and how easy it is to maintain it, it's no surprise that they're used.

The only games I'm disappointed in seeing a good old AK47 in are those cheap freebie online CS knock offs.

Upvote 0

ROFLES. Nobody can pull of endorsements quite like Samuel L. "Mothaf***in'" Jackson XD And frankly, the AK is featured in so many modern period games because it would be extremely strange to make a conventional war game without including "the most prolific small arm of the 2nd half of the XX century". I'd say almost all of these games feature either terrorists, militants, the soviets, or a ripoff of the above. The AK or a variant thereof is the standard issue go-to weapon for all of these groups so it's not exactly a surprise it gets so much exposure.

Upvote 0
the AK is featured in so many modern period games because it would be extremely strange to make a conventional war game without including "the most prolific small arm of the 2nd half of the XX century". I'd say almost all of these games feature either terrorists, militants, the soviets, or a ripoff of the above.

That's kind of exactly my point. For a few of those games I mentioned (Crysis Warhead, Far Cry 2, ARMA II, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky), AKs are actually integral to the setting and atmosphere of the game. Clear Sky, for example, takes place in what is basically modern-day Ukraine, so it wouldn't really make sense for AKs not to be there. Same with the war-torn Africa setting in FC2.

Killing Floor, on the other hand, is a blank canvas; it already has an unusual assortment of weapons from all four corners of the globe and doesn't really follow any set conventions or cohesiveness in regards to its weaponry, so it's the perfect setting for weapons you wouldn't otherwise see in conventional shooters, ones that are confined by stylistic restrictions in their weapons choices. Modern, high-tech, prototype assault rifles wouldn't work in Far Cry 2, the same as WWII weaponry wouldn't work in ARMA II. In Killing Floor, pretty much anything goes, because a lot more suspension of disbelief is allowed.

Why, then, do we throw away that huge opportunity for interesting guns that have never before been featured in video games in favour of two of the most overused and clich

Upvote 0