• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

new guns, rejoice guise :D

Err, you sir are mistaken. Katanas are very, very durable and have great tensile strength. When a katana is made, you hammer and fold the blade multiple times to evenly distribute the carbon to make it stronger AND to remove the impurities. A bullet can be shot at a katana and upon hitting the blade edge, it WILL be split in half, no damage to the blade. The blade is also polished to reduce drag when cutting. Theoretically, this will reduce the amount of wear on the blade from cutting, making it less likely to be damaged during use.

You ARE right that the katana can break easier than a long sword, but it's not like we're going to be bashing specimens with the flat side of the blade.

You don't know the difference between strength, toughness, and hardness. Katanas, being made of impure steel with a ton of carbon in it, is very hard, and will hold a razor-sharp edge well, but that's about it; being that the carbon adds stresses to the crystalline structure of the metal (making it hard), it lessens the toughness. Katanas and other high-carbon blades are notoriously brittle and shatter if hit hard and obliquely enough, and usually rust to hell if breathed on incorrectly.

Don't even get me started on the inclusion of the katana and the AKM in this game...

Upvote 0
Adding the AK doesn't make sense in this game. I know KF isn't supposed to be very realistic, but this being a Tripwire game, the guns do somewhat have to make sense (the Desert Eagle is an exception I guess). Yes, the AK is a very widespread weapon, but not in England. The SA80 makes sense because it's the standard rifle of the British Army. The lever action has its place too because... well, maybe quite a few Brits collect them or use them as hunting rifles or something. But AK's? I really hope it's just a leftover texture and won't be included. It's not a big deal, but still.

The katana is just overrated. A baseball bat would make more sense.

Oh well....

The AK-47 was designed as a machine gun and operates best at full auto.

AHAHAHAHAH

Funny guy.

Upvote 0
Wait a sec, thats true though!

For the warfare it was created for, the gun was designed to spew heavy lead at a controllable rate!

Dont see the hilarity tbqh...

Controllable? Surely you jest.

The AK series, particularly the original AK-47 and AKM, have awful controllability. The centre of mass for the bolt/operating rod is way above the bore, the butt is way below it, etc. etc; it's like it was designed to recoil uncontrollably upwards. Don't even get me started on the sight radius and ergonomics, or the poor design of the 7.62x39mm round itself.

EDIT

Well why not the m4. UK Special forces use them, and Im sure the UK purchased a tonne of these!

I still think a Bren gun would be best as an upgrade for the L22 carbine. A bit unbelievable, but better than the M4 and AKM (which I'm frankly tired of seeing in games).

Why do you hate the AK? Just because it isn't "pretty"? It is supposed to be a tool to dispose the unsightly terror that is the specimen threat. I do not care what it looks like, as long as it works, makes holes in things and is useful in later waves. I don't care if it is modeled after a rubber chicken and sings Crazy Frog out of tune while you operate it. I just wish I didn't have to switch to support from wave 6 onwards in every game I play because of the pitiful damage the bullpup is (in)capable of dealing to the larger targets.

Typical, as soon as there is even some hinting that there might be something that would make the life of a commando easier, people start complaining how ugly the new gun is or why their favourite gun didn't make it... :rolleyes:

This is why we can't have nice things. :p

I love how someone just posts how they don't like the AK (with no reason stated), and Soanos goes on a long diatribe about how he doesn't like it because he doesn't think it's "pretty".

Perfect strawman.

Most guns are as accurate as the hands that shoot them. The AK is perfectly capable of being accurate, but a great deal of the people that use them (there are something like 10 million AK-47's in existence according to the video I posted) are untrained marksman, geurilla fighters, rebels in the 3rd world, etc. I think that's where the AK gets it's reputation for inaccuracy.

They have a reputation for inaccuracy because they're inaccurate. Their sights are awful, the trigger is awful, and the tolerances so large, that "very good" accuracy for an AK (IE, what a Saiga achieves) is about 2-3 MOA, while most of the regular AKM variety (not dedicated sporters like the saiga, more like a WASR) are maybe 4-5 MOA. Yes, you'd hit the target at a 100m range, and to the layman who thinks that the huge cones of fire in video games are realistic, that about be quite accurate, but no, AKs are a good deal less accurate compared to other assault rifles. For comparison's sake, an AR-15 can very achievably get <1 MOA.

QFT. Actually if I handed out M16s to all these guys I'd be doing the world a favor. All their guns would jam and malfunction under the abuse, lack of maintenance, and general terrible conditions they'd be exposed to on a minutely basis :D And they still wouldn't be able to hit s*** anyway, and probably even be less accurate given how non user friendly M16 sights are compared to AK sights (until you get used to them).

Oh god, you're kidding right? Are you seriously suggesting that aperture sights are non-user-friendly?

And stop it with this "omg the M16 jams all the time i saw it on history channel", it gets really, really tiring.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you better should :)

That isn't even a sentence.

Is that the guy from American Psycho in you avatar?

Do you sometimes fantasize about being him by any chance? lol

I just noticed that there are two posters here with Patrick Bateman avatars/signatures.

And no, I just think it's a funny picture (from a funny movie).

Upvote 0
Controllable? Surely you jest.

The AK series, particularly the original AK-47 and AKM, have awful controllability. The centre of mass for the bolt/operating rod is way above the bore, the butt is way below it, etc. etc; it's like it was designed to recoil uncontrollably upwards. Don't even get me started on the sight radius and ergonomics, or the poor design of the 7.62x39mm round itself. And stop it with this "omg the M16 jams all the time i saw it on history channel", it gets really, really tiring.

when i served in the USMC our M16's jammed quite a bit. not to mention the round had really no penetration. they work well in low combat situations, where you have the opportunity to sit down and clean it from top to bottom at the end of the day. but in real combat (that means ppl are trying to kill you) situation, the AK47 is alot easier to maintain and work with.

Upvote 0
when i served in the USMC our M16's jammed quite a bit. not to mention the round had really no penetration. they work well in low combat situations, where you have the opportunity to sit down and clean it from top to bottom at the end of the day. but in real combat (that means ppl are trying to kill you) situation, the AK47 is alot easier to maintain and work with.

Oh, I'm not saying the M16 is absolutely amazing in terms of reliability, but properly maintained it's not the jam-o-matic people make it out to be (most of that comes from the godawful vietnam-era M16s, with crappy ammunition and no cleaning kits.) I still think there are far better performing weapons out there; the AR-18, SIG 550, etc.)

Besides, however, penetration isn't everything. The shallow, violent wound channels of 5.56x45 are far more impressive than the long, thin ones created by 7.62x39.

What was your unit, just out of curiosity?

oh guys, stop feeding the troll :rolleyes:

Accusing your opponent of being a troll is the last vestige of an indefensible argument.

Last edited:
Upvote 0