• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Far Cry 2

I'm allready fed up with some of the multiplayer maps because they are so cramped lol.
So i'm working on a map now, for the gamemode where you have to protect your commander while he's capping the objectives (cant remember its name).
Basically it's an open savannah, with some tablemountains in it, a UFFL outpost and a small Dogon village.
The APR have a hidden outpost somewhere, from where they attack, while the UFFL start out at their outpost.

You'll need the vehicles to quickly get over the open ground, but there are ofcourse ditches and smaller hills behind wich you can take cover, as well as some close combat in the village.
I hope it will be a good mix between long distance, medium distance, and cqc. And ofcourse teamwork, because you cant do anything without your squadleader, and you'll have to take passengers along with you if you want to succeed.

When i think it's nearly done i'll post it here for some people to try out, and get some more ideas, maybe work on them, and then i'll release it :)
It's come a long way allready though.

Upvote 0
Basically it's an open savannah, with some tablemountains in it, a UFFL outpost and a small Dogon village.
The APR have a hidden outpost somewhere, from where they attack, while the UFFL start out at their outpost.

You'll need the vehicles to quickly get over the open ground, but there are ofcourse ditches and smaller hills behind wich you can take cover, as well as some close combat in the village.
I hope it will be a good mix between long distance, medium distance, and cqc. And ofcourse teamwork, because you cant do anything without your squadleader, and you'll have to take passengers along with you if you want to succeed.

No offence but that sounds very unoriginal and generic map.

Anyway, does the multiplayer really work as badly as the forums say? Do people only play in ranked servers or do they play player made maps in non-ranked servers? Do you get kicked out after round is over, is the mouse acceleration hard coded in the game, do the keybinds work?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I only tried playing on ranked servers myself so far, so i dont know.
And yeah, you do get kicked out of a server after the round is over, why they chose to do that is beyond me.
Havent tried any keybinds though, but what do you mean by mouse acceleration? Like, increasing the sensitivity?

As for my map, i havent seen such a map in multiplayer yet, so i doubt it's unoriginal. I think it's better then countless shacks snapped together to form linear paths, like most maps right now.
I try to get a good mood in it, with lots of little details.

Upvote 0
I only tried playing on ranked servers myself so far, so i dont know.
And yeah, you do get kicked out of a server after the round is over, why they chose to do that is beyond me.
Havent tried any keybinds though, but what do you mean by mouse acceleration? Like, increasing the sensitivity?

As for my map, i havent seen such a map in multiplayer yet, so i doubt it's unoriginal. I think it's better then countless shacks snapped together to form linear paths, like most maps right now.
I try to get a good mood in it, with lots of little details.

Reason why you haven't seen such a map is because you have only played in ranked servers(=no player made maps). Also, you haven't tried keybinds? Do you mean you play games with default keybinds? Yes, by mouse acceleration I mean that the mouse is uber sensitive no mater what you do.

My guess is that you wont get kicked out if you play severs without the ranking system. Also one thing I was wondering is that how do you select what server you join, if there is no server browser that shows the player count, map and ping of the server?

Upvote 0
This game is a total pile of arse. The core gameplay is the most shallow thing I have played in ages, and the enemy AI ruins it for me. They present you with a choice to handle a situation in any way you want, but should you try anything but guns a-blazin', you will get raped up the bum. This game is a perfect example of too much attention paid to gimmicky features and graphics, and none paid to the core gameplay.

Upvote 0
This game is a total pile of arse. The core gameplay is the most shallow thing I have played in ages, and the enemy AI ruins it for me. They present you with a choice to handle a situation in any way you want, but should you try anything but guns a-blazin', you will get raped up the bum. This game is a perfect example of too much attention paid to gimmicky features and graphics, and none paid to the core gameplay.

Completely agreed. I can't see what's so special about FC2 either, it's just an average shooter with pretty good looking graphics. And the multiplayer is just terrible, why on earth Ubisoft decided to use such a consolified system for the PC version?

Upvote 0
maybe the devs thought that the key for realism was to add weird features.

the most annoying thing for me is when you kill someone, while in stealth and with a silenced weapon, the moment he dies, everybody goes alert mode even if they are not seeing him diectly

other thig is that wherever you go, except for the NPCs, every single human being you encounter wants to kill you

and there are those annoying respawns, I want to vanquish the land FFS!

Upvote 0
the most annoying thing for me is when you kill someone, while in stealth and with a silenced weapon, the moment he dies, everybody goes alert mode even if they are not seeing him diectly
That's not true, if you shoot from rather far away and nobody sees the guy nobody will be alerted. But if they spot the fallen guy then obviously they are alerted. It's just much more realistic than in other games because as you might know even surpressed guns make sounds and when a corps drops on the ground and you're in open territory with another enemy around the corner of course he'd notice. Of course one might ask how good that decision is for stealth gameplay but if it was the other way around everybody here would be *****ing OMG IDIOT AI.

Upvote 0
Yes, but a machete doesn't make noise. I've killed a guy silently from behind with my machete while we were in the shadows, and all of his buddies 50 yards away instantly knew where I was and violated me with bullets. The game appears to be bass-ackwards [sic] with stealth. Silenced weapons and a knife do nothing for being quiet, but a loud-*** sniper rifle echoing across a valley somehow goes completely unnoticed. I mean, snipe a dude and his buddy right next to him doesn't notice, but god forbid you use a silenced weapon from a shadowed, hidden area or everyone will hawk in on you. If that doesn't scream broken, then what does?

Believe me, with a few changes this game would have shot up to my favorite game. Here are the changes I would like to see:

-Guard outposts you clear out actually stay cleared out, for at least a few game days.
-Stealth gameplay actually works, and enemies spray wildly in your direction when you remain hidden from sight, as opposed to shooting directly at you. Suppressive fire, anyone?
-More wildlife in between checkpoints so you can at least have something to look at while you're driving for the hours upon hours you will be driving in this game.
-Guns that don't f***ing jam every 5 shots. Or at the very least make them jam for enemies, too.

There! Enjoyable game!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, but a machete doesn't make noise. I've killed a guy silently from behind with my machete while we were in the shadows, and all of his buddies 50 yards away instantly knew where I was and violated me with bullets. The game appears to be bass-ackwards [sic] with stealth. Silenced weapons and a knife do nothing for being quiet, but a loud-*** sniper rifle echoing across a valley somehow goes completely unnoticed. I mean, snipe a dude and his buddy right next to him doesn't notice, but god forbid you use a silenced weapon from a shadowed, hidden area or everyone will hawk in on you. If that doesn't scream broken, then what does?

Believe me, with a few changes this game would have shot up to my favorite game. Here are the changes I would like to see:

-Guard outposts you clear out actually stay cleared out, for at least a few game days.
-Stealth gameplay actually works, and enemies spray wildly in your direction when you remain hidden from sight, as opposed to shooting directly at you. Suppressive fire, anyone?
-More wildlife in between checkpoints so you can at least have something to look at while you're driving for the hours upon hours you will be driving in this game.
-Guns that don't f***ing jam every 5 shots. Or at the very least make them jam for enemies, too.

There! Enjoyable game!

I agree with these points.
But if you dont want jamming guns, then just buy one from a gunstore, and buy a reliability upgrade. There, no more jams, only very rarely.
Guns you pick up from enemies are in bad shape, and rusty etc (can see this on the model), so they jam more frequently then guns from a store.

EDIT: My map is more or less finished now, it should be playable.
However, before releasing it i want to get some second opinions, maybe get some suggestions for improvement etc. I think i nailed most of the important things though: accessability for all houses and some other places (all i say is cliff) , spawn protection etc. And lots of little details allready in.
To see the map, you need to open it with the editor, wich can be found in the install-folder.

http://files.filefront.com/Oasis2fc2map/;12185455;/fileinfo.html This is the file, and should go in My documents > My games > Far Cry 2> Custom Maps

Then you can open it from within the editor. Feedback is appreciated :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with these points.
But if you dont want jamming guns, then just buy one from a gunstore, and buy a reliability upgrade. There, no more jams, only very rarely.
Guns you pick up from enemies are in bad shape, and rusty etc (can see this on the model), so they jam more frequently then guns from a store.
Alright, that makes sense, but I still would've liked it if enemies had their guns jam too.

Upvote 0
The game overall is nice, but lots of niggling thoughts and annoyances ruin it, i can only play for about 10-15 minutes before getting bored. I've only done like one mission . I'm tired of driving around getting shot at by angry men at every sign of civilisation, why's everyone hostile , I could be one of their guys?

I know vanilla games have low weapon damage most of the time but this is a bit silly, even sillier when they get back up! I'd dismiss this if they were robot marines but not militia men wearin jeans and t-shirt. A G3 to the torso or head should kill pretty easily, not half a magazine.

I suppose the graphics are ok, graphics do nothing for me, I only look for the gameplay and longevity, and I dont see much in this game. As people have said it's pretty shallow once you get past 'zomg Africa!'

I do like the polishness of the animations, such as getting in and out of cars and opening doors to buildings. But I just feel like i'm in an empty land with suicidal zebras and angry-for-NO-reason men.

Upvote 0
I agree with everything Simmons and Zell said. This game feels a lot like TES4: Oblivion, its a great game in concept, its well made, and all that, but there are some small things in the mechanics that manage to break the whole experiece

also, quicksave game files are saved separately, my save game folder was 700MB in 2 days

Upvote 0
Enemies guns can jam on them.

Yeah i was just about to post that :)
Was just playing the game, assaulting an enemy encampment, when the last enemy or so ran away from me. So naturally i gave chase, he was around the corner, and i heard a *clickclickclick* and when i rounded the corner, i saw my foe frantically bashing his weapon to unjam it :p
Pretty cool :)

Another thing i just noticed wich was pretty cool was when i ambushed a convoy with a Carl Gustav launcher.
I was in open savannah, and when i fired the thing, the backblast ignited the grass behind me. Before i noticed i allmost burned to death lol, i was like WTF! And then it dawned on me it mustve been the backblast :cool:

Upvote 0
Something funny/sucky just happened lol.
My best buddy got hit during a mission, so being the good friend i am i helped her on her feet.
When the mission was finished, she lingered around, then she got rammed by a random patroljeep passing by, so i wanted to 'resurrect' her again, but she was in to much pain, i gave her 2 shots of morphine and that didnt help, then i had to give her a 3rd, and she died because an overdose lol.

Wich sucked, because i liked her as a buddy.
Funny though that they can overdose.:p

Upvote 0