• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Far Cry 2

* blows dust off thread *

Alright time for some untimely necromancy.

And why have I pulled this from the pits of 2008? Because I just discovered that there are some 3rd party unpack / repack tools for the game.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/17503463/fc2tools.zip

I'm currently working on a small modification for my own use to do the following:

Increase weapon damage to 1-2 shot kill.
Increase weapon range so so that AR's can kill over 50 Meters.
Increase ammo carrying to higher levels, much higher with bandoliers purchased. ( I figured cargo pants can easily carry 6 mags for an AR, bump that up to 15 - 20 mags with pouches )
Set weapon magazine counts to realistic values. ( I pull my hair out every time I see a single stack .45 ACP 1911 with 8 rounds on a standard magazine " hey developer you were SOOOO close to getting that right ")

Anways, thought I'd drop that here incase others tried to play this game the first time through and stopped like I did due to bullet sponge enemies.

Upvote 0
* blows dust off thread *

Alright time for some untimely necromancy.

And why have I pulled this from the pits of 2008? Because I just discovered that there are some 3rd party unpack / repack tools for the game.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/17503463/fc2tools.zip

I'm currently working on a small modification for my own use to do the following:

Increase weapon damage to 1-2 shot kill.
Increase weapon range so so that AR's can kill over 50 Meters.
Increase ammo carrying to higher levels, much higher with bandoliers purchased. ( I figured cargo pants can easily carry 6 mags for an AR, bump that up to 15 - 20 mags with pouches )
Set weapon magazine counts to realistic values. ( I pull my hair out every time I see a single stack .45 ACP 1911 with 8 rounds on a standard magazine " hey developer you were SOOOO close to getting that right ")

Anways, thought I'd drop that here incase others tried to play this game the first time through and stopped like I did due to bullet sponge enemies.
Nice! If your mod disables the fast respawn rate of enemies at outposts and makes the damage of guns actually make them feel REAL, then you'd be my hero.

I hate firing a whole Colt 45 clip into someone and have them still standing their shooting at me. I don't know why the developers thought making your guns feel incredibly weak was good for the game.

Upvote 0
mm yeah playing around with it now, trying to find the right settings level for the shotguns, I want a semi direct hit or better under 20 feet to be 1 hit kill.

working on the pistol as well increasing the firing rate and such as well as probably tripling the damage.

The annoying respawns at an outpost are definitely in here, however the game unpacks into lots of XML files in different folders, so its like finding the needle in the haystack.

for anyone interested in playing around with it, in the readme file on that download it points towards where you can tweak damage settings. However it looks like the dev's have hardcoded everything, including all bonuses for each level of difficulty...
( kinda where I like stalker's having ammo that you can modify and increase the damage of all guns that fire that ammo..)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok so all the damages are in a file called gamemodesconfig.xml. Editing them wasent doing anything until I tried opening the patch.fat/bat file and found a copy of the gamesmodesconfig.xml in there, lo and behold making changes there works, so I cranked up the hit multipliers from

<Head multiplier="2.5"/>
<Torso multiplier="1.0"/>
<Arms multiplier="1.0"/>
<Legs multiplier="0.5"/>
<Hands multiplier="0.5"/>
<Feet multiplier="0.5"/>

to

<Head multiplier="6.0"/>
<Torso multiplier="4.0"/>
<Arms multiplier="2.75"/>
<Legs multiplier="2.00"/>
<Hands multiplier="0.8"/>
<Feet multiplier="0.8"/>

Lo and behold the hidden side of the Red Orchestra beast has emmerged, the .45 ACP is 1 hit kill, the shotguns rain down hellish fury, and the t-shirt wearing locals hath no protection from your IS2 shaming destruction.

Note: In all seriousness I am trying to go for a "ro-esque' ballance in that I want AI to die when they would be what I consider combat innefective. Frankly I dont really care how many nails you can chew, a half an inch hole in your chest puts you out of most sporting activities & gunfights.. :D

Upvote 0
Well, Im blowing the dust off this thread once again.

I've got good news and bad news.

I've gone over all the avaiable unpacked files and as it turns out all that gets un packed are some XML files that dictate most of how the UI looks and some other crap.

All of the base values are defined in code that cannot be changed, because it has not been properly extracted ( A real SDK was never released ).

Now to the good news, the damage can be changed in one place as I posted earlier by tweaking the multipliers. Also while the standard magazine size and ammo counts cannot be changed, the ammount you get after acquiring the ammo belts can be changed. It is also apparently possible to tweak the damage of a weapon in particular in some of the bonus handling XML say for one of the manuals, although I would prefer to keep the damage consistent. ( I might end up doing that to make sure a .50 Cal kills somone even if they are hit in the leg. )

It also seems, and this is the clincher, that the .lua scripts that get unpacked contain the *drum roll* respawn scripts for outposts. As of now, they respawn the twats at the outpost if A: there arent already any twats there, and B: you arent there. I know little of .lua, but I think it may be possible to wiggle some code in there so that they get respawned at one set time every day ( sucks to be you if you expect to be safe waltzing back right after that time, but your good the rest of the day ).

This is the reason why companies should have to release SDK's for their damned games...

Anyways, I've got some german studying to do tonight, but I'm going to look into what it takes to get a MODDB account and have these changes tested and packed up and thrown up on MODDB in the next two weeks.

What I can use from you gents is what do you think would be a fair ammo count to change the values too when the player has the bandoliers?

I was thinking along these lines here

Pistols 6 - 8 magazines spare (48 - 64)
AR's 6-12 magazines ( 180 - 360 )
shotguns loose shells 30 - 60
MG ammo 3-5 boxes ( 1000 rnds for a SAW, 500 for a PK )
single shot bolt guns like a springfield would be similar to a shotgun.

I can normalize these for all difficulties, or make them different for each difficulty.

Upvote 0
Wow lots of work there, but thanks for trying. I don't have FC2 installed atm but I might be encouraged to reinstall if you get this mod working.

Re: companies not releasing SDKs:

It's Ubisoft. They're the absolute worst when it comes to mod tools and making PC games in general. Half of their games are ruined by ****ty DRM and by ... not giving a **** about the game. See: IL-2 Cliffs of Dover ;)

Upvote 0
I guess I should have known that going in, BTW would you care to be a contributor to the intellectual process Hockeywarrior? I'd like to know what you think of those ammo counts, also if you feel like being a bit verbose how you would imagine a good ballance of damage in FC2 would be?

( IE, does one .45 ACP kill with a torso shot, or two ? )

Upvote 0
Current change list.
*changelist removed for space reasons*

Also, there is a LUA script already in the game to access the time of day, so it shouldent be *too* hard to just call that and check if it is one particular minute of the day, then attempt a respawn.

So would you guys rather a respawn time set for early morning, noon, afternoon, or the middle of the night?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aight well everyone, guess there's no point in not sharing this.

Call it version 1.0 pre alpha :).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5G44J9J0

Inside that .zip file you will find a patch.dat and a patch.fat.

You need to put these inside your Farcry2/data_win32 folder. If you have Fc2 through steam dont worry about the old ones as validating the cache will get them back. If you have a disk install you will want to back the old ones up.

There are no respawn based changes in whats currently released here, only damage changes, and bandolier carry cappacity changes.

Full change log.

( the pistols without values havent yet been changed and will still have the old ammo count )

Changed Bandolier Bonuses
- Difficulty ( 0 , 1 , 2 , 3 )
Pistol Belt
- Makarov ()
- Star45 (48,48,48,48) 6 Magazines
- Deagle ()
- 6p9 ()

Light Webbing
- Mac 10 (120,120,120,120) 4 Magazines
- Uzi (120,120,120,120) 4 Magazines

Shotgun Bandolier
- Ithaca (30) loose shells
- Spas (30) loose shells
- Usas ()- Todo ( how big are the magazines ? )

Assault Webbing
- Mp5 (240) 8 spare Magazines
- FnFal (150) 5 spare Magazines
- G3 (150) 5 spare Magazines
- AK47 (180) 6 spare Magazines
- M16 (240) 8 Spare Magazines

Marksmans Bandolier
- m1903 ( 60 ) loose rounds
- Dragunov ( 80 ) 8 spare magazines
- As50 (30) 6 spare Magazines
- Dartgun (20) 20 darts

Rocketeer Satchel
- RPG 7 (4)
- 'Ol Carl (3)
- Mortar (14)

grenadier Webbing
- M67 (6)
- M79 (16)
- IED (2)
- M32 (4) 16 loose rounds

Pyro satchel
- Flare Gun (10)
- Lp0 50 FlammenWerfer! (300) TENTATIVE
- Molotovs (1)

Gunner Pack
- SAW (600) 3 boxes
- PKM (400) 4 boxes

REPAIR MANUALS
- ALL MANUALS GIVE A REDUCTION IN GUN DEGREDATION BY 90 %.

OPERATIONS MANUALS
- Leaving these for now.

HIT LOCATIONS MULTIPLIER

-- ORIGINAL
<HitLocations>
<Head multiplier="6.0"/>
<Torso multiplier="1.0"/>
<Arms multiplier="1.0"/>
<Legs multiplier="0.5"/>
<Hands multiplier="0.5"/>
<Feet multiplier="0.5"/>
</HitLocations>
--

-- MODIFIED
<HitLocations>
<Head multiplier="100.0"/>
<Torso multiplier="3.5"/>
<Arms multiplier="2.0"/>
<Legs multiplier="2.5"/>
<Hands multiplier="0.75"/>
<Feet multiplier="0.75"/>
</HitLocations>
--

Manuals
NOTE: IT IS IMPORTANT TO BUY ALL OF THE MANUALS, SOME OF THE DATA COULD ONLY BE ENTERED THROUGH THE PURCHASE OF MANUALS
Each manual's price was also adjusted to 1 diamond each, I have a hard time rationalizing how a small paper booklet could ever be worth more, never mind in a wartorn zone with illiteracy rates dwarfing the percentage of those who have guns.

Upvote 0
That looks great. I've actually enjoyed this game a fair lot, especially "roleplaying" it by mostly travelling on foot and sneaking past checkpoints, playing it as some hardcore survivor. Sneaking all the way into the mansion to hold the machete and note up to the poor guy by the radio and slipping out again without ever being seen was fantastic.

While incoming damage was brutal and immersive, having to empty entire clips into the enemy was not. These tweaks just might bring that final touch of immersion to the game that was shamefully lost to superhuman enemies in tank tops swallowing your bullets while swarming your position.

Upvote 0
Having played with these tweaks for just a short time, I can already tell you that the increased weapon damages practical change the game. Pistols are actually effective now, as they down enemies in 2 hits maximum, and all guns will down enemies in a short burst or less.

The beauty of it is that even if they are downed, sometimes they will still be alive (like real life), so this even increases the immersion further. I'll play more and give more feedback.

Upvote 0
hmm yeah in my 2 hours of so of playtesting yesterday I was using some POS rusted M16 I had found, cleaned out a CP at range and started advancing on it. Walked past one of the (assumed dead) bodies that was by some sandbags, wince as a .45 implants itself into my hind quarter as I whip around and discover the booger was'nt dead; the story ends with him inheriting all 8 of the rounds in my .45 in rapid succession.

Alas, if only this game had a real SDK, it would have become the UBI equivalent to stalker.

Upvote 0