• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Far Cry 2

aktionman

Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2006
Some interesting videos of Far Cry 2 which is due next year: http://www.farcry2-hq.com/videos.htm

In addition to what is mentioned on the page, look out for other "realism" touches like M249 jam animation, RPG 7 damage at long range, grass fire from flame thrower, grass deformation when vehicles or people pass through, individual cartridges in ammo box go off. Set in 50 sq km of African jungle, desert and savannah.

Obviously it looks great, and I'm happy they are staying with at least some jungle enviroment, the best for outdoor shooters IMO- the africa setting looks very interesting.

Great thing about Far cry was it came from no-where really and was such a pleasant surprise. playing thou the campaign I remember thinking how great it would be in MP - but it never reached it's potential (I felt it could have been by far the best DM of it's time)

Little things let it down- skins were awfull, you have all this thick jungle to hide in, and everyones running around in bright Hawian shirts.
It had a great editor but i had problems finding custom maps online, and the browser didn't dload them (?!?!) The class based addon wasn't all that inspiring.
Maps should have been remade without the RL and grenade launcher weapons, as most games were ruined by Rocket-monkeys hiding in bushes.
this was all a shame cos everything would have been reletivly simple to put right.

good to see ironsights this version, I only hope it doesn't fall short on the mp side like it's predecessor.

Upvote 0
Agreed, blackhawk down all over again.

Never liked FarCrys storyline.....

Well it's 'The island of Dr Morceau' by H G Wells - simpler and with more violence to fit a PC shooter game.
I agree it wasn't particularly well fleshed out, but as story premises go i've seen a lot worse.

As for novalogic shooter series from delta force on, at least IIRC they introduced medium/long (and therefore arguably realistic) range engagements to pc shooters.
I didn't like the campaign for BHD at all and abandoned it in record time but online it has a large fanbase who swear by it.
As for Joint ops, it's some of the best fun I've ever had online. It seems to have correctly judged which elements should be dealt with realistically for maximum enjoyment.
It's a great game and for all it's faults it has outlasted BF series for me and I still play it.

In fact a version of JO in the Farcry engine would have been close to the perfect game for me - presuming Crytek could support 100+ players of course

Upvote 0
So unrealistic, shooting a barrells, or propaine tanks wont make them exploade, unless the bullet uses tracers. (mythbusters ftw)
Well they have to make the game as fun as possible as well as be as realistic as they claim to be. It wouldn't be fun to shoot gas barrels without explosions. Besides, you sure about the whole propane tanks not exploding from bullets? In my experience they seem to like to explode from less violent impacts.

Upvote 0
Umm, depending on whats in the barrel, there is a fair chance that shooting it will make it explode. This is escpecial true of things like propane tanks, the thick metal side of the tank wil cuase plenty of sparks with the bulets hitting it, and sparks + oxygen + leaking propane is a big bang, ussualy. Duno if they'd acctualy spiral through the air like that, though. I would have thought they would be more likely to just blow the valve off.

Anyway, I'll probably be getting it. Might wait for the price to cool down a bit first though. Or just wait untill the pound is high and download it from some american site.

Upvote 0