• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will it take to save RO?

There's plenty of good maps out there already, CC maps especially are fantastic, ardon in particular, the big main servers just need to stop being chicken****s and put them on. (read, TWB). I love the fact that these guys have set up the main RO servers both in NA and Euro but if they're going to be running them they need MAP VOTING and MORE CUSTOMS + CC.

Seriously what the hell happened to Kriegstadt anyways? I haven't seen it anywhere in weeks.

And yes nix the 24/7 servers, the 50 player servers are fine though. Some maps just aren't the same without 50 people (Leningrad, Ardon, etc.) while others are definitely **** with that many (Kaukasus, Basovka)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mappers dont want to map because none of the maps get featured or have a short life, its the same ones over and over and the strategy is the same over and over unless your playing with noobs where all you can do is sit back and try to kill as many as possible. Mappers spend alot of time not getting to play would be nice if it payed off. If TWB is controlling the Tripire servers then why cant we do something new with those like a custom infantry night or a custom tank map night that way there is always new stuff out there to play. You have to let people play the maps before you can get to vote for them on the voting servers. People dont vote for what they dont know.

Bingo, when you get no feed back and barely see your map being played it is quite discouraging to bother making another beta or a new map. Every time I fire up RO I see nothing but the 50 player servers playing the same stock maps over and over. Or it's 24/7 Danzig and Arad.

Reactions: Hackel
Upvote 0
Maybe something like TW allowing more community mappers, animators, skinners, modellers, etc blending into their work but first they all have to go through vigorous checks and testing before they are given the final seal of approval and eventually making it into the next update to help improve longevity for RO or there's also the mods to look forward too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was very keen on modifying some of my existing maps (make them smaller) and had two others in the beta stages.....but would it get played enough to justify spending all the time making it...no. Soul reason is people rather play in large populated servers with limited and repetitive map choice then on a server with a few less people but a broader map cycle. I guess everyone has good reasons for each.

Upvote 0
you know, enough of us ***** about 50 man servers, 24/7 danzig, massive tank maps...why doesnt someone set up a "veterans of the eastern front" 32 man server of a nice mix of combined arms maps, a few stock maps (please no rakowice, kaukus, etc) and populate the damn thing.

Zetsumei? I think you have mentioned this in another thread.

Sounds reasonable.. post it here I'll be on nightly 9-11pm est.

Upvote 0
Personally I play RO less because the game has no progress.
New content is no progress IMO.

So mods without changing/adding to the core gameplay won't hold my attention long. Not that I don't appreciate their efforts of course, but perhaps the modding-possibilities are so limited no real progress in gameplay can be achieved.

I'm a patient man, RO2 will rock.

Monk.

Upvote 0
Server admins do a good job in destroying the RO community little by little. They ignore that RO has a wide variety of custom mods and two custom mods released. Maybe they think that people get addicted to RO if they everyday get the same maps in map rotation, like Arad, Danzig, Zithomir... :D

Especially the 50 players servers are horrible with their map selection. But they collect about 80 % of the playing community. The rest of the servers get hardly populated and many of them fill up their servers with bots. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm planning on setting something up i'm just a bit gathering opinions and stuff ;). Because if i go launch something i need the support of some community groups so we can keep the server filled for at least a few weeks straight so people will automatically drop in. And i need to find a public opinion on what way to use maps and what serverslots to use. Might make it 24-32 slots for most of the week and then say friday and/or saturday 44-50 slots for big *** maps.

But i've been absent from public play for a really long time so i'm kinda out of it so i need some information on what maps work well.

For 24-32 slots if you got ideas of custom maps plz post them.

They need to be winnable at those player amounts for both sides.
Not be too buggy or look too alpha or be too laggy for older comps
The maps must not only be fun the first few times you play it till the freshness factor wears off.

For 44-50 slots if you got ideas for maps plz post them too
same things apply. But some less performing maps can be added here because for 50 players you need a good computer anyway.
For this player side no smallish map will be in the map rotation.

There are people bored of always playing ****ty custom maps and people bored of always playing stock. So basically coming up with a map list is a hard thing to do.

This must be started small and expanded from that. i'm thinking of adding in mapvoting but greying out maps before they can be voted again.

basically register on www.roladder.net and go to the forums general discussion there i'm trying to get a start over there for setting up things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What would be good is for maybe Tripwire or just a collective group from the community to set up a server with a map rotation that is voted for by the community.

That way you won't always get the same maps coming on again and again and you could easily put some custom maps in the rotation to freshen things up. Even if it was one weekend a fortnight that had them running.

Upvote 0
My thoughts about how this project could work:

-I think the server should have at least 44 player slots if you want to take people away from the demons

-then, apart from the maplist voted by the community, we must also dedicate our time to seed the server, until it has enough popularity to be a constant real choice

-then there is the location issue, I'm european so I would vote for a London based server, if we succeed, the americans could follow our example

-and please dont add the "huge maps" there are already 24/7 servers for those maps, and normal players run away from them

-add CC mod ^^ (if possible, advertise it within the server in normal maps, for the paople that does not know about it, goes to their site and download it)

-and I would like to ask if its possible for the server to choose the next map at random?, one problem with the wild bunch is that not that they are only the same maps, but they are also being played in the same order, it gives a horrible sensation of Deja-vu. and if you let people vot for the maps, there will be the same ones over and over again

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My thoughts about how this project could work:

-I think the server should have at least 44 player slots if you want to take people away from the demons

-then, apart from the maplist voted by the community, we must also dedicate our time to seed the server, until it has enough popularity to be a constant real choice

-then there is the location issue, I'm european so I would vote for a London based server, if we succeed, the americans could follow our example

-and please dont add the "huge maps" there are already 24/7 servers for those maps, and normal players run away from them

-add CC mod ^^ (if possible, advertise it within the server in normal maps, for the paople that does not know about it, goes to their site and download it)

-and I would like to ask if its possible for the server to choose the next map at random?, one problem with the wild bunch is that not that they are only the same maps, but they are also being played in the same order, it gives a horrible sensation of Deja-vu. and if you let people vot for the maps, there will be the same ones over and over again

Personally i think 44 player servers don't give nice gameplay either on pretty much all maps 24 is actually the optimal number for public in my opinion. At roladder were trying to do something for a server as i posted something above, probably 32 slots most of the week and 50 slots on some days for the big maps.

Location of the server well use is not known yet because the server is not known yet, but the primary choice for now is the IcM server although everybody must agree with it.

Maps will probably be tested for quality a bit by some people (just random peeps that are online that can get a server halfway filled) and everybody can post suggestions on whatever forums well station the base of the server.

Instead of setting a map to rotation you can set it to mapvoting but not allowing a map to be revoted for unless X other maps have been played. So you can make it that you basically always have a choice of say 5 maps to pick from in the voting menu. Even though there are much more maps in rotation.

If you have an interest in helping pick maplists and settings join www.roladder.net and go to the general discussion in the forums. And discuss.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is my post from over at the ROLadder forums, just for your information here.

I will have more to add later, but some of the initial ideas are good. Some of my thoughts:

- 24 to 32 players with up to 50 on weekends with bigger maps IF the server is being regularly populated. No small maps if it is set to 50 players.

- Only one server, two servers defeats the purpose unless the first server becomes wildly popular.

- No stock maps. Well, maybe a few stock maps if they are rotated out every so often, and they are not Danzig or Arad. Plenty of other servers out there with those maps running.

- Preferably infantry only or combined arms. Tank only maps are iffy in my opinion despite good maps such as Drebrecan. Drive time to battle should not be excessive (sorry Orel even though I like you)

- No set rotation, maps must be voted on (1 vote per player!!!) Some method must be enabled so the same map doesn't come up until after five to ten other maps are played.

- Maps must be optimized enough so a player with an average computer can play them without having their fps dip into the red all the time. Luckily, most good maps are optimized at least this much.

- Maps must be free of bugs, or have only minor bugs.

- Maps should be the latest version with the latest updates unless the newest version of a map has some problem with it not present in an earlier version.

- Add-ons such as the AHz Vehicle Pack or Evil Hobo' MGs should be the latest as well. Do not run maps that want to use different versions of the same files, I am tired of getting booted off servers for file-mismatches.

- That 3d Audio Mutator would be nice...

- Maps must be winnable by both teams although they don't have to be evenly balanced. Sometimes those maps are more challenging.

- Long maps should only last one round, shorter maps can be up to two rounds.

- I am in USA, but the server would probably be best in England or Europe for maximum play. Most of the times, the pings aren't bad (low 100s for me)

- No bots, even some great custom maps have lousy bot support and many people filter out servers with them.

- Carpathian Crosses should be added, although you may want to wait till the 2nd beta is out to get rid of some of those initial kinks in the first version (mortar crewman hitbox, etc....)

- Above all, and this is the single most important thing, the server must be seeded. Players must make a reasonable attempt to join and sit there for a while.

------------------------

Lets face it, even going by these suggestions, there will be maps that are in the rotation that some people won't like for one reason or another. We should play thru them and get to the next map.

Upvote 0
3d audio mutator doesn't work, and remember the people liking stock maps have problems being able to play them normally too. 50 players ruins all stock maps even though lots are awesome. So there will be stock and custom maps because a compromise must be made for all people there are lots of people that hate stock because being over played and lots of people that dont like customs for alot being simply bad maps. So the goal is to find the custom maps of good quality that everybody enjoys together with stock maps (remember that stock maps will play nice again on a 32 player server ;) )

What custom maps are good thats my main issue here, i haven't been trying out that much.

Maps as berezina and Tractorworks would only appear if the server was running on 50 slots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bear in mind that, some of the oldies also hate custom maps. So, pick them carefully :) My friends would play Berezina if I force them, but they won't join a server with Berezina/Tractor Works on it.

Well, part of the point of this is (as I see it) that there are enough servers running stock maps only and hence trying to find custom maps that can work for most people. Of course, there will be people that don't like certain custom maps no matter how good they are. Trying to find a custom loadout that makes everyone happy just isn't going to happen. If this works out, there will be maps on the server I 'd rather not want to play, as there will be maps you or your friends won't want to. Hopefully the majority of the maps make most of the players happy most of the time. That I think is realistic. :)

Upvote 0
Bear in mind that, some of the oldies also hate custom maps. So, pick them carefully :) My friends would play Berezina if I force them, but they won't join a server with Berezina/Tractor Works on it.

I would not play Berezina either, I have nightmares with that map

I say some good stock maps like Odessa, Krasny and stalingrad kessel could be added

Upvote 0