• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

CoD4 Demo

Not sure why everyone in this community is extremely condescending when it comes to Games That Are Not RO or the Close Combat Series...
Because for 87% of them, they have no other critique of the game.

I've been informed that DOOM is a terrible game.

Why, you ask? Oh, because it has health packs.

Most of the people here who post like asshats usually just like to think that they are "trendy" or "indie" in their gaming selection. They can't stand popular games simply because they are popular, as evidenced by SiC's post in another thread about how since a game is mainstream, he can't enjoy it.

They're like those people who attend wine tasting and order exotic varieties of beer/wine just so they can say that they are unique/special/not one of the unwashed masses.

So any gaming device that they see as common, regardless of whether the application is useful or not, is automatically treated as a lower-class system to be avoided at all costs.

Upvote 0
ha. I dont say its a bad game. It really looks damm good. I mean SO good i whould MAYBE buy it just for the kicks of looking someone here playing it. :D

On the other hand..It is as i daid. A shooter on rails...at least thats true for the single player. And since i hate shooters for consoles i hate this one too. :D

My roomate will buy it so i will sit next to him complaining about SP and than making him drunk so i can play MP....:D

Upvote 0
Not sure why everyone in this community is extremely condescending when it comes to Games That Are Not RO or the Close Combat Series...

Because quite a lot people overhere are so convinced they know
everything and have seen it all. Sometimes it feels like they behave
as Red Orchestra fundamentalists...... The RO Jihad Squad....

rojihad.jpg

Upvote 0
Because for 87% of them, they have no other critique of the game.

I've been informed that DOOM is a terrible game.

Why, you ask? Oh, because it has health packs.

Most of the people here who post like asshats usually just like to think that they are "trendy" or "indie" in their gaming selection. They can't stand popular games simply because they are popular, as evidenced by SiC's post in another thread about how since a game is mainstream, he can't enjoy it.

They're like those people who attend wine tasting and order exotic varieties of beer/wine just so they can say that they are unique/special/not one of the unwashed masses.

So any gaming device that they see as common, regardless of whether the application is useful or not, is automatically treated as a lower-class system to be avoided at all costs.

I'm not THAT shallow :D
I just despise the simplification those games represent.
Making games for the masses is what it is all about these years, nobody tries anything new or daring. It's all remakes and 'sequels' or another sims add-on.
All that while the most brilliant concepts remain in the fridge. ( For example, a new Battlezone would be nice just because it's so old, a combination of fps and rts. Building your base while flying in your own hovertank etc)

Unfortunately only older gamers can tell the difference, all the new ones dont have anything to compare to or only want superior graphics to make it a good game, wich seems to be enough for even reviewers these days.
Remember Red Orchestra's reviews? A lot of them were a bit like:"gameplay's great, allthough it has to be your taste, but graphics are 'meh' so we're giving it a 7"?
Now, even all that might not be all that bad, but then there's another issue, wich is dumbing down existing games for the masses.
Take an example to Oblivion, wich is nowhere near as deep as Morrowind was.
Take a look at what they did to Rainbow Six, wich went from a 1 shot 1 kill tactical game, to a run-and-gun spamfest with health regeneration (Vegas, hell, even Lockdown sucked balls for letting out the planning phases, giving health points and it's linearity). Or Ghost Recon.
All of these games where favourites of mine, and they all got destroyed for the mainstream mass. Wich gives me a right to have a problem with today's games, tbh.
It's on this point games like that annoy me the most.

Games that dont have anything to prove, (to previous games in that name) or just nothing to dumb down like SiN, do get a proper follow-up, namely SiN:Episode 1. Other episodes unfortunately got cancelled, but i enjoyed the hell out of that game.
Now, i realise CoD has allways been this way, so in that regard it's still doing what it does best. However, most of the people i described all like CoD, and they all always talk about it, so CoD kinda represents their kind of gamers lol.
I realise that it isnt a good base to dislike the game on, but it just does that to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately only older gamers can tell the difference, all the new ones dont have anything to compare to or only want superior graphics to make it a good game, wich seems to be enough for even reviewers these days.

I wholeheartly agree. I played fps since "wolfenstein3d" and any major title following. But **** gets stale....:D

RO offered something diffrent that made me stuck with it. I dont see COD4 or any upcomming title doing this to me. ( ok till someone is MAD enough to do a ww2 "realism" mod for either COD4 or Crysis )

And really...its all just "been there, done that..." sorry but, thats how it is...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I wish we could go back to DOOM, when all that was required to play a game was insane reflexes and good aim.

Seriously, I hate all these new games that require million-dollar graphics and fancy AI in order to cover up the fact that they simply are not challenging.

Bioshock? OLOL I HAS PLASMIDS! PLASMIDS GO BOOM ON EVERYTHING LOLOLOLOLOLRLFONDJSANJDNSAD

COD? zOMG the ambeeants is awesome! yayz

Original DOOM? Badass.
Have fun then sitting alone in a dark corner playing doom.
-
MP is really awesome, every multiplayer should be like this! Ranks etc. are VERY motivating and the different gametypes etc. just pwn. Reminds me of how fail MOHAs mp was.

Upvote 0
I think we need to take a step back and realize that some games are designed for entertainment purposes and not always to challenge your innate tactical armchair General knowledge in a virtual fashion.

It's not like I'm watching a movie and say, "OH BOO, THIS PLOT PROGRESSION IS ENTIRELY LINEAR. IT'S LIKE I'M WATCHING A MOVIE ON RAILS. WHY CAN'T MOVIES BE MORE SANDBOX LIKE CLUE?"

Granted, linear gameplay leads to low replayability, but so?

Upvote 0
Videogames have always been about innovation (ok PC games I mean). At the very least the graphical and gameplay innovations have always stood out in our memories. RO was innovative, Doom was innovative, Deus Ex (although I've never played it, Stalker is my surrogate to this game I guess) was innovative. X-Wing was innovative (damn I wish they made a new x-wing vs tie fighter game). Hell yes a new Battlezone would rock. Some games like Quake wars innovate in a minor way, but they innovate. Crysis pushes the gameplay application of physics and environment one step farther than HL2. Far Cry 2 looks to take us even further in a full world-simulation in this respect. Even Assassin's Creed looks like it will be innovative.

But COD4 is fundamentally a reskinned COD2 with material penetration. Wow. 8/10.

Upvote 0
Innovation isn't the sole source of entertainment though...

What happens when video game tech has advanced enough and fleshed out most of what we consider "innovation" and there's not really much room left for it? Of course Doom was innovate...there was NOTHING ELSE TO COMPARE IT TO.

If you re-released Doom today with graphics on par with today you would go "WTF? I spent my money on that?"

Upvote 0