• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bioshock

Well I must say now that I've got the game running it is quite impressive.

I didn't expect it to be the best game in the world but it has blown the socks off of the expectations I had. The story is good, the combat is fun and the graphics are beautiful. I've got it maxed out an it runs like hot butter dripping off a biscuit :)

Just in the medical pavillion area now, nice atmosphere. Only slightly disappointing thing is I am not finding it that difficult at all and I am playing it on hard.

Upvote 0
This is so annoying- my fps got screwed. I used to get 35-60, rarely dropping to 27, everything maxed, 1600x1200.
Now I have to lower the res to 1280x1024 just to maintain playability and I get 25-45. :(

The only change I can think of is Steam's auto-update of Bioshock- it decided I dont have the latest dx9 and installed one. AFAIK I did have the latest, though maybe its not that at all, cos that sh1t happened only after awhile.

Anyone else got that?

Reddog- you are only at the start and its gets tougher as you go, some parts will pose enough challenge even to the best of us.

Upvote 0
For some reason I get super good fps after "loading a map" because the map hasn't loaded yet. The game will spawn me in the world when it just has the basic models generated. Over the course of a minute or so I'll see more objects start to pop in, the models will start to get skins, specular lighting will be applied, etc. It doesn't bother me that much because the initial "load" takes just a few seconds, but its kinda wierd how the game loads the level right before my eyes.

Upvote 0
Doom had a much greater impact on the gaming industry, as it actually innovated and had a powerful sense of style and atmosphere.

Look I never said the game was horribly crap, merely that it was average to above average. The anti-libertarian/anti-objectivist message underlying the game is really starting to annoy. That might be the main reason I have such a negative gut reaction to this game. It tries to push a shallow greenpeace-like anti-philosophy that is against scientific investigation and self-improvement of the human species. The kind of gene manipulation so derided in this game is really the only hope we can have for the future. I guess all FPS games seem to have end of world scenarios based on some kind of human mismanagement or malevolence. Even Stalker is based around a science project gone wrong, but at least the concepts of free markets and scientific inquiry are not so explicitly mocked (it even has the Freedom faction).

The Emperor has no clothes.

Upvote 0
Doom had a much greater impact on the gaming industry, as it actually innovated and had a powerful sense of style and atmosphere.

Look I never said the game was horribly crap, merely that it was average to above average. The anti-libertarian/anti-objectivist message underlying the game is really starting to annoy. That might be the main reason I have such a negative gut reaction to this game. It tries to push a shallow greenpeace-like anti-philosophy that is against scientific investigation and self-improvement of the human species. The kind of gene manipulation so derided in this game is really the only hope we can have for the future.

Its not anti-libertarian nor is it against scientific investigation, self-improvement or even genetic manipulation, you are reading it wrong. (and what the f4ck is anti-objectivist?)

But this game really forces you to take a stand, does it not? :cool: You chose to disagree and thats fine, its not a propaganda paper- like I said, it just want to make you think.

And please lose that ridiculous comparission between Doom and BS, I sense heat coming your way and we dont want it turning to be one of those threads, do we?

Upvote 0
@Soviet please do not talk that absoluetly about "philosophy" or "message", most times it is not possible to say that there is only one way. I don't know the game, but I think it is not bad to question gene manipulation etc.
I also think it is right to question "free markets" (what a farce, I guess Adam Smith would not like certain parts of that "freedom"): Where are we heading? (in the long term in fact)

That does not essentially mean, that I condemn these things, but rather that I do not buy that "this is the only way" etc. stuff.

Upvote 0
Nvidia and ATI released brand new drivers just for BioShock, make sure you have them.
I dunno mate, it is running fine for me on the 158.22's I am using with my 8800GTS, you reckon it's worth updating?

Actually scratch that I just saw that they are BETA drivers, no way jose, I have no issues now and I want to keep it that way :D

Must say I am very impressed with what I've seen of the UE3.0 engine, it seems to be really well optimised. It really stands up well when a heap of **** is happening all at once, like 4 or 5 guys shooting at me, two turrets firing and a big daddy throwing grenades around my framerate doesn't drop.

Frankly I can't wait to see what TWI do with it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0