• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why and how did you choose your (ingame) nick

well, i have 2 older brothers and while the oldest was in high school he got the nickname (it's kind of a shortened version of our last name) and when my other brother got to the same high school he got it because so many people remembered the eldest, and even got it on his liscense plate. So i guess you could say it got passed down to me, but I'm glad to carry it on. Hopefully my son will wear it proudly one day as well.

Upvote 0
IncredibleGeek came about when I was picking my first email address 9 years ago. It was The Incredible Geek then, and has since been shortened to it's current form. Mostly I picked it because I know no one else in the world will use it. :)

The Proctologist, my current RO handle, came about when the Sn][per server used to be infested with a specific TKer who went by a buttocks reference. It stuck. ;)

Upvote 0
My nick is from an old fiction book featuring a Lieutenant Vonreuter as a minor character. The name sounded cool, and I kind of identified with the character, so when I finally had to choose a nickname for, hmm, the old DoD I think, I chose Vonreuter.

Obviously "von Reuter(s)" is a wonderful connotation ("from" + Reuters, the news agency) and one of the reasons I'm cooler than thou. ;)

Oh yeah, 2 points for whoever recognizes the book I'm talking about. I read it back in the, gosh, early 90s.

Upvote 0
I bought this books 1 year ago A Writer at War: A Soviet Journalist with the Red Army, 1941-1945
http://www.amazon.com/Writer-War-Soviet-Journalist-1941-1945/dp/0307275337/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/002-2295436-7694435?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177345289&sr=8-5
It is my favorite memoir/diary of ww2.
And recently in another book i found out about a german V.Grossman who fought at Stalingrad and died there.
An Infantryman in Stalingrad/Adelbert Holl
http://www.leapinghorseman.com/proddetail.php?prod=0975107615&cat=5
Also my name is Vasily!

Upvote 0
Hmmm. Strictly to indicate my generation.
In olden times it was Pvt.Floyd,Pink.
That was too much typing.
I used Floyd's Dark Side Servers in and attempt to attract a more mature crowd in the MOH days. That worked to some degree. However, youngsters would join expecting something else and wanted to know what was so Dark Sided about the server. :rolleyes:

Floyd

Upvote 0
Landser was the german word for grunt back in the days and is still used in the german military from time to time.
It is the short form of "Landsknecht" which have been mercenarys in the 15th and 16th century.

But I was often wrongly accused for beeing a Nazi so I changed my ingame nick to "Leonidas" one year ago.
When I was a child, I have seen the movie "The 300 Spartans" with Richard Egan. The bravery of King Leonidas was quite impressive to me at that age.

Upvote 0
Aceto_Balsamico.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsamic_vinegar

nothing better in summer than fresh tomatos, mozzarella, basil and aceto balsamico.

had to shorten the nick from aceto_balsamico (since mod-days) because of the tricky project-nick and limitations of letters in RO.

Upvote 0
Interest in Norse history/literature/mythology due to ties with Norway. I've used the nick since ooooh...1996 or so? Ever since I bought my first 14k4 and started BBS'ing. The 1899 bit is just a filler to 'unique-ify' my nick on webfora and such.

<offtopic>
How does one deduct from the movie version of LotR that Legolas is homosexual? :confused:
</offtopic>

Upvote 0
I first started with potato, mainly because of my immense love for them (and the fact that it just sounds wierd when you say it) while playing Call of Duty 1 and UO, and this went through several trarnsformations (eg. au gratin and red) before I discovered how to make the letters in your name colored, and I wanted red, (as it was my favorite color) and bloody seemed appropriate as I was playing a game where you shot people. Though that was kind of hard for me at the time, because I was still on a 28k modem:D

Upvote 0