• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Supersonic bullet cracks done *right*

My attempt at modding a sonic boom into the whizzby's can be seen here - http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=253908691947964828&hl=en-GB
What do you think?
You need much better sound samples. The ones you used are really, really bad - it honestly doesn't sound anything like the real thing. The 'sonic booms' sound more like somewhat muffled gunshots from 30-40 meters away.

edit: Also, you need to reverse the sound. The whoosh does not precede the sonic boom. Sonic boom's first, and if you were even to hear a whoosh, it'd come afterwards.

Upvote 0
did you say u can get hold of the sounds used in that BF2 mod? If so could I use them?

Yeah I read somehwere in this thread that the whoosh comes after the boom but it was too late then. It's easily reversed, anyway.

When I get my hands on some good sonic boom samples I'll re-make the video with the new sounds. I'm thinking about adding an ear-ringing tone to some of them.

Upvote 0
We shot Ramm's SVT-40 indoors recently, even with ear protection and standing a meter behind him, it was like a friggin earth quake. Loudest gun EVER. Mac 90, MN Sniper, Mauser 98k were loud as well, but a joke compared to the SVT-40.

One thing i never want to see in a room next to me is some guy with a SVT-40.

First time in my live i actually got motion blur from watching a guy shooting a gun.

then you havent spotted for a HMG (the M2 .50) crew, spotting means kneeling to the left of the gun carriage, so you arent behind the gun, more like beside the barrel, imagine being punched in the face in 600 SPM (slaps per minute), you cant see squat while its firing, and when it stops firing, your teeth hurts like mad.. and thats when you need to focus with the binocs on the spot thats fired on to correct the gunner.

guess i have to experience the SVT40 sometime too.

Upvote 0
...even a .22 is deafening in enclosed spaces. a rifle would be enough to make somone wince..
More than wince. It would hurt. I've got a 7mm Remington Mag with a muzzle brake. The muzzle brake reduces recoil to the point where it's actually a joy to shoot. The drawback is that a lot of the muzzle blast is directed backwards. I've forgotten my earplugs for a couple shots and discovered it's actually painful (outdoors). Most rifles are very loud. Some will make your ears ring. This one HURTS. We also discovered that the backblast will flap the pantlegs of an observer standing behind and to the side of the shooter.

I've never heard a bullet traveling by me so I can't say for sure what it sounds like. I doubt it would be as loud as the muzzle blast from most rifles. A bullwhip cracks quite loudly because the tip actually breaks the sound barrier. I'd expect a bullet to sound similar to that.

Upvote 0
[LEFT said:
Gomer[/left] Pyle;210044]More than wince. It would hurt. I've got a 7mm Remington Mag with a muzzle brake. The muzzle brake reduces recoil to the point where it's actually a joy to shoot. The drawback is that a lot of the muzzle blast is directed backwards. I've forgotten my earplugs for a couple shots and discovered it's actually painful (outdoors). Most rifles are very loud. Some will make your ears ring. This one HURTS. We also discovered that the backblast will flap the pantlegs of an observer standing behind and to the side of the shooter.

I've never heard a bullet traveling by me so I can't say for sure what it sounds like. I doubt it would be as loud as the muzzle blast from most rifles. A bullwhip cracks quite loudly because the tip actually breaks the sound barrier. I'd expect a bullet to sound similar to that.

We get similar effects from a .357 magnum. I haven't shot it indoors, but it's loud enough outside. And with that barrel, you can feel the blast on your face and chest. (As such, it tends to be my favorite. :D )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here I am reading about all these people who've shot all these cool guns before, and the only gun I've ever shot was a glock in a sound-muffled room with ear plugs. I shot about maybe 25-30 rounds before the guy noticed my hands started to get shakey and took over for me.

With the ear plugs on, it wasn't too loud, even in the sound enclosed room, and I have good ears.

Guess the hand guns people were using weren't powerful enough to be that loud.

(On a side note, I did see someone go into the range with a pump shotgun and tear the paper target to shreds. Needless to say it was twice as loud coming through the several-inch thick glass than the hand guns people were shooting.)

Upvote 0
My attempt at modding a sonic boom into the whizzby's can be seen here - http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=253908691947964828&hl=en-GB

What do you think?

Obviously disregarding the poor sound quality i would say it's wrong - it just sounds like someone firing a pistol and it's too 'boomy'. It needs to be a sharp,violent CRACK (someone said something about a Bullwhip crack and imo that would be a LOT closer to the sound needed).

Good on you for trying though d3v ;)

Upvote 0
thanks m8 and I know it ain't perfect and I also knew the sound I used was too boomey but it was just an example. If someone could send forth some good sharp cracks then I'll be more than happy to mod them in. I'm also gonna try putting some ear-whistling noises in some of the whizzes, but not all. I'll see how that goes.

Upvote 0
Obviously disregarding the poor sound quality i would say it's wrong - it just sounds like someone firing a pistol and it's too 'boomy'. It needs to be a sharp,violent CRACK (someone said something about a Bullwhip crack and imo that would be a LOT closer to the sound needed).

Good on you for trying though d3v ;)

That bullwhip crack comes from the tip breaking the sound barrier, so yeah, I think it would work fine. :)

Upvote 0
Louder than a K98? Bloody hell!

What do you think?

I think the "pitch" is too low.
Now it sounds more like another gun firing next to you and not like a "whip" sound.

THe sounds portrayed in the new BF2 realitymod is quite good.
I think maybe you can get a sample of it in the movie Band of brothers as well at this clip after 0:40 seconds when the MG's starts firing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtLoMTYWQB4&mode=related&search=

Upvote 0
A bullwhip might be hard to record. Maybe you could try taking a piece of plywood (say 3" by 14") and smacking a tabletop.

Was that a serious suggestion? :rolleyes:

Why not rub your naked grandmother in baby oil and then slap her extremley hard on the ass with a fresh salmon?

It might be close to the sharp crack you're looking for.

I also sincerely hope that the people who haven't got a clue about such things will stop making half-witted remarks

PLEASE?

Upvote 0
I have read many eye-witness accounts over the years testifying to the frighteneing and deafening 'CRACK' of bullets travelling at supersonic speeds past or near people's heads.
I've read many first-hand accounts also. I've also fired many types of rifles in many types of situations. I've used bullwhips. I've also heard the sharp crack of two flat objects striking each other. Realizing it would be hard to record a bullwhip outdoors I tried to come up with an alternative.
If all you've done is "read" and can't suggest anything better then I suggest you take your half-witted "half-witted" remark elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
i was at firing range the other day. Firing 7.62 and .357 magnum rounds. I went down to the butts or whatver you call them to do peoples scoring. IF you're on the RECIEVING end of a bullet there is a very clear CRACK of the bullet breaking the sounds barrier and with reverberation. Not the whizzing in most games.

This should certainly be added.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well then Sieg what do you suggest?

ok - there seems to be a great number of people on these forums with access to firearms or who go to ranges to shoot. Given the ease with which the average American can obtain firearms or at the very least go to a shooting range, is it so inconceivable that somebody might also get access to some recording equipment and try to record the actual sound instead of trying to record a bogus sound using pens and paper/plywood and tabletops/greased-up grannies and wet fish???

I would jump at the chance to do so myself but here in the UK firearms are a little more difficult to get access to...

Upvote 0
ok - there seems to be a great number of people on these forums with access to firearms or who go to ranges to shoot. Given the ease with which the average American can obtain firearms or at the very least go to a shooting range, is it so inconceivable that somebody might also get access to some recording equipment and try to record the actual sound instead of trying to record a bogus sound using pens and paper/plywood and tabletops/greased-up grannies and wet fish???

I would jump at the chance to do so myself but here in the UK firearms are a little more difficult to get access to...

my thoughts exactly ;D get out there on the range kids!

Upvote 0

If you want sword sounds, though, just ask the Scots.

Hrhrhr.

Upvote 0